Matt Colie

Default Useful gadgets

Think about the binocs with bearing compass again.
They work both ways -
By which I mean,
you can get a bearing if you are force to actually navigate (some I do
by either force of habit of five+ decades on the water or maybe even
genetic), or
if you should be looking for something that the little box says
is at such bearing and eyes can't pull it out of the dark or haze - grab
the binocs and go to the bearing - usually - once I have found it the
first time it is easy the next.

Matt Colie A.Sloop "Bonne Ide'e"
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Congenital Sailor

Parallax wrote:

(Parallax) wrote in message . com...

Jack Dale wrote in message . ..

On 24 Jan 2004 09:18:25 -0800,
(Parallax)
wrote:

Any other useful things?

Portland Plotter - after one of my coastal navigation students showed
me one I put away the parallel rules. I still like a Douglas
protractor, but I use the parallel rules as an antique. The Plotter
is my mainstay.

After I demonstrate all 3, almost all of my students opt for the
Portland Plotter.

Jack

Oh, so that's a Portland Plotter. I actually used once when I flew on
a friends AeroStar plane in the late 80s. Useful in confined areas
for doing stuff with charts.

Thanks (the best gadget yet, simple and effective)

Portland Plotter? I'll do a search on it.

I hate the parallel rules because they are hard to use with the chart
spread on a pitching cabin floor. Instead I use my hand bearing
compass mounted to aplastic square I can align with north and
perpendicular to the edge of the chart. I have a protractor mounted
to it so I can rotate it about the compass axis. Works for me.
Around here, in most cases, i can ignore the difference between
magnetic north and true north.

I seriously considered the Fujinon 10X50 binocs with internal compass
but decided that I have never wanted to take a bearing on anything
with binocs so bought the ones without the compass. So, I still use
my trusty Suunto hand compass (the kind with the mirror) that has
lasted through many caving and sailing trips.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:36:25 -0500, Matt Colie
wrote:

Think about the binocs with bearing compass again.
They work both ways -
By which I mean,
you can get a bearing if you are force to actually navigate (some I do
by either force of habit of five+ decades on the water or maybe even
genetic), or
if you should be looking for something that the little box says
is at such bearing and eyes can't pull it out of the dark or haze - grab
the binocs and go to the bearing - usually - once I have found it the
first time it is easy the next.

Matt Colie A.Sloop "Bonne Ide'e"
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Congenital Sailor

Indeed a useful thing. We have used a compass/7X50 for over 20 years.
Wouldn't be without it.
Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the
simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.
- Richard Dawkins, "Viruses of the Mind"

Matt Colie

Parallax wrote:

(Parallax) wrote in message . com...

Jack Dale wrote in message . ..

[...]