Jere Lull

Default Useful gadgets

In article ,
(Parallax) wrote:

I would like input from other ppl on what gadgets really
make sailing better and what ones are simply a techno-pain in the ass.

For example: GPS is a necessity but I will keep my paper charts and
hand compass. Depthsounder is necessary. Permanently mounted VHF
necessary.

So:

Knotlog- really useful or does the reading off the GPS suffice?

More useful than GPS for determining whether you are trimming correctly.
They read pretty much instantly. In combination with the GPS, will give
you at least a rough estimation of current. (properly interfaced, I
believe the GPS can figure it out pretty accurately.) I still count ours
as more valuable than the GPS, which is usually also on.

Handheld VHF- useful or not?

Very. The next best would be a fixed VHF with remote controls & channel
display on the handset. We often monitor two channels at once and
scanning between two, particularly if one is 16, is not as effective.

A remote speaker (the larger the better) in the cockpit really improves
clarity.

Electronic masthead windmeter (I'd like one but am doubtful about its
robustness)- useful or not?

Nice toy. Seem to be lightning attractors.

Radar- Takes too much power I think for a sailboat.

Vital in some areas; handy in others; almost useless to us. I think we
could have effectively used ours twice in probably 1000 days on the
water. Then again, friends' units gave us timely warning of approaching
squall lines that could have wreaked havoc to our rafted boats.

Lazy jacks- (I am sure I can make my own) but really useful or not?

More hassle than they're worth on a boat under about 40'.

Any other useful things?

Autopilot. Ours allows me to actually enjoy 16 hour travel days. Many
days I'll sail at 2-4 knots under sail, or hoist the chute, with Otto
doing the steering. Without that help, I would probably fire up the iron
genny.

Permanently mounted compass. The handheld has its uses, but nothing
beats being able to see your course at a glance.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages: