Argonauta

Default Useful gadgets

Good to keep the paper charts. As you know, an onboard electronics
failure won't affect the paper charts one iota. I'm all for high tech
gadgets as long as the ones used for essential tasks have backups. As
for the others:

Knotlog - something else to clean under the waterline. The little
impellers seem to attract the most interesting growth. Useful for DR if
you don't want to be dependent on GPS.

Handheld VHF - A NECESSESITY. This is not only a backup to your main
VHF, but it should go on any dinghy trips ashore. This could be a life
saver if your dinghy motor doesn't work and the right conditions of wind
or current keep you from being able to get back safely.

Electronic masthead windmeter - much more accurate than deck level
instruments. Usually includes wind direction indicator also. Handy for
bragging about the strength of that storm...

Radar - I have never had one because of the power requirements. But for
long offshore passages it would be good for a short handed crew to get
some sleep. As mentioned in another response, the newer radar units
sleep and pop-up for a few sweeps. A good trade off for the amp hours
used. This is on my wish list.

Lazyjacks - This really depends on how unmanagable your main is when you
take it down. If the frustration level gets high enough, you will want
these. If you do fine without, then why add the extra lines to get in
the way? It's all a matter of convenience. I installed them, then
removed them later. Live and learn...

Other gadgets:

HF Ham Radio - If you cruise outside the US I would strongly suggest
getting your General class amateur radio license. This provides
communications capability "back home". It is nice to be able to keep in
touch with family while voyaging. Also, with a computer you can use one
of the many free email gateway stations around the globe and send and
receive email with family and friends. This can also serve as a backup
to marine SSB radio. Since the HF radio can receive usually from below
1MHz to 30 MHz or above, this also serves as a high seas forcast
receiver, AM broadcast radio, weatherfax receiver (with computer and
software), plus, you can listen to international news broadcasts and
keep up to date on the headlines.

Computer - In addition to the uses with the HF radio, if you have a
hankering to write while aboard then have at it. Also handy for storing
and editing the digital photos you have been taking along the way.

Digital camera - Why mess with film and developing? Even Kodak has
realized that film is not a good business to be in. You can email the
photos of each leg of your voyage to family and friends as you go. Use
an internet cafe to send the photos. (HF email is suitable for text
only, due to the low speed.)

Lots of other fun stuff, but wallet, waterline, and living space become
the controlling factors.

Parallax wrote:
After many yrs of being a cheapskate sailor sailing without the
expensive gadgets thayt many other ppl have, I now find myself able to
afford to buy some of the gadgets I used to shun. All those yrs of
making do without has colored my thought processes so I naturally
avoid gadgetry. However, my recent installation of roller furling
really made sailing easier so I am reconsidering my attitude toward
gadgets. I would like input from other ppl on what gadgets really
make sailing better and what ones are simply a techno-pain in the ass.

For example: GPS is a necessity but I will keep my paper charts and
hand compass. Depthsounder is necessary. Permanently mounted VHF
necessary.

So:

Knotlog- really useful or does the reading off the GPS suffice?
Handheld VHF- useful or not?
Electronic masthead windmeter (I'd like one but am doubtful about its
robustness)- useful or not?
Radar- Takes too much power I think for a sailboat.
Lazy jacks- (I am sure I can make my own) but really useful or not?
Any other useful things?