posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing

Default Inverter system charging ???

"Jim" wrote in message
JR North wrote:

It works just as well as the perpetual motion machine in my basement.
JR

dh@. wrote:

Someone told me it's possible to charge an inverter
system's batteries using a battery charger plugged
into the inverter that's being run by the batteries
you want to charge. Is there any truth to that, and
if so, how does it work?

You have one of those too?

Shussssh!

Don't want to expose *all* our secrets ....

Eisboch

posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing

dh@. wrote in message ...
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:16:23 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

That's what I told the dude that mentioned it. But he insisted
it's a common practice, so I thought about how it possibly
"could" work...maybe. IF the electrons in the battery are
just being moved from one side to the other, which is the
impression I got of how a battery works when I read about it
in detail years ago, then it seemed possible that maybe the
method would just move them back around to the positive
side again if there was any truth to it. Whether it would work
or not my impression is still that a battery charger doesn't
really add electrons to the battery, but just shifts them back
around to the other side of some barrier...I forgot what it's
called over the years.

It's called BS.

Eisboch

posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing

Sorry man, but it ain't happening. Conservation of energy still applies to
us ordinary folks.

dh@. wrote in message ...
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:16:23 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

That's like discovering perpetual motion...

That's what I told the dude that mentioned it. But he insisted
it's a common practice, so I thought about how it possibly
"could" work...maybe. IF the electrons in the battery are
just being moved from one side to the other, which is the
impression I got of how a battery works when I read about it
in detail years ago, then it seemed possible that maybe the
method would just move them back around to the positive
side again if there was any truth to it. Whether it would work
or not my impression is still that a battery charger doesn't
really add electrons to the battery, but just shifts them back
around to the other side of some barrier...I forgot what it's
called over the years.

It's not going to happen.

Some of the best inverters are only about 75% efficient, plus losing
efficiency though a battery charger. You'll actually be draining the
batteries ... at a quick rate.

dh@. wrote:
Someone told me it's possible to charge an inverter
system's batteries using a battery charger plugged
into the inverter that's being run by the batteries
you want to charge. Is there any truth to that, and
if so, how does it work?

Very well. Consumer's energy will by your excess power. How do you think
all of us RVers got retired so young?

Lon

dh@. wrote in message
Someone told me it's possible to charge an inverter
system's batteries using a battery charger plugged
into the inverter that's being run by the batteries
you want to charge. Is there any truth to that, and
if so, how does it work?

Try it and see. AND make sure you have a spare battery fully charged.

Lon VanOstran wrote:
dh@. wrote:
Someone told me it's possible to charge an inverter
system's batteries using a battery charger plugged
into the inverter that's being run by the batteries
you want to charge. Is there any truth to that, and
if so, how does it work?

Very well. Consumer's energy will by your excess power. How do you think
all of us RVers got retired so young?

Lon

Couldn't you just sell the energy back to the power company?

posted to alt.rv, rec.outdoors.rv-travel, rec.boats, rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing
Tim Tim is offline

Steve wrote:
dh@. wrote in message ...
Someone told me it's possible to charge an inverter
system's batteries using a battery charger plugged
into the inverter that's being run by the batteries
you want to charge. Is there any truth to that, and
if so, how does it work?

If you have 2 half dead batteries it is possible to use them to juice up one
battery completely and leave the other dead.

I dont' even see how you could do that. with jumper cables? no.

with a power inverter and battery charger? no, (not really)

your "half dead" battery won't produce enough power to keep the
inverter AND battery charger up (ona 12v. system) 14v DC [+/-], at
least for any real length of time to charge the other "half dead"
battery. especially fully charged.

posted to alt.rv, rec.outdoors.rv-travel, rec.boats, rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing
Tim Tim is offline

One problem, inverters and battery chargers get warm. That's energy
loss. Energy loss is inefficiency.
It's fun to imagine, though.

"Tim" wrote in message

Steve wrote:
dh@. wrote in message
Someone told me it's possible to charge an inverter
system's batteries using a battery charger plugged
into the inverter that's being run by the batteries
you want to charge. Is there any truth to that, and
if so, how does it work?

If you have 2 half dead batteries it is possible to use them to juice up
one
battery completely and leave the other dead.

I dont' even see how you could do that. with jumper cables? no.

with a power inverter and battery charger? no, (not really)

your "half dead" battery won't produce enough power to keep the
inverter AND battery charger up (ona 12v. system) 14v DC [+/-], at
least for any real length of time to charge the other "half dead"
battery. especially fully charged.

Tim:

I can do it with two capacitors and a set of jumper cables. It is called a
"charge pump" which is a common type of electronic circuit for transferring
charge from a low potential to a high potential. The circuitry is explained
he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_pump

The power inverter and charger will also work just fine. From this link:

http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html

You can see a discharged battery produces nearly 12 volts (says so in the
above link). The discharged battery just can supply high current at 12
volts, which is fine you just have to set the charger at trickle charge.

An inverter can operate on DC voltage inputs of of 10-15 as seen he

http://www.novaelectric.com/dc_ac_in...vacg12600w.php

So it will definitely work with a fully discharged 12v lead acid battery.

Steve

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 14:08:45 -0500, dh@. wrote:

Someone told me it's possible to charge an inverter
system's batteries using a battery charger plugged
into the inverter that's being run by the batteries
you want to charge. Is there any truth to that, and
if so, how does it work?

It doesn't.

Perpetual motion.

In short - bull feathers as my maternal Grandfather used to say in
polite company.