posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing

Default Inverter system charging ???

dh@. wrote:
Someone told me it's possible to charge an inverter
system's batteries using a battery charger plugged
into the inverter that's being run by the batteries
you want to charge. Is there any truth to that, and
if so, how does it work?

In the old days they did it all the time, course you had to have a
steady breeze turning the windmill.

--
BILL P.
&

"Steve" wrote in message

"Tim" wrote in message

Steve wrote:
dh@. wrote in message
Someone told me it's possible to charge an inverter
system's batteries using a battery charger plugged
into the inverter that's being run by the batteries
you want to charge. Is there any truth to that, and
if so, how does it work?

If you have 2 half dead batteries it is possible to use them to juice up
one
battery completely and leave the other dead.

I dont' even see how you could do that. with jumper cables? no.

with a power inverter and battery charger? no, (not really)

your "half dead" battery won't produce enough power to keep the
inverter AND battery charger up (ona 12v. system) 14v DC [+/-], at
least for any real length of time to charge the other "half dead"
battery. especially fully charged.

Tim:

I can do it with two capacitors and a set of jumper cables. It is called a
"charge pump" which is a common type of electronic circuit for
transferring charge from a low potential to a high potential. The
circuitry is explained he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_pump

The power inverter and charger will also work just fine. From this link:

http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html

You can see a discharged battery produces nearly 12 volts (says so in the
above link). The discharged battery just can supply high current at 12
volts, which is fine you just have to set the charger at trickle charge.

An inverter can operate on DC voltage inputs of of 10-15 as seen he

http://www.novaelectric.com/dc_ac_in...vacg12600w.php

So it will definitely work with a fully discharged 12v lead acid battery.

Steve

Heh.

Eisboch

On Nov 21, 2:08 pm, dh@. wrote:
Someone told me it's possible to charge an inverter
system's batteries using a battery charger plugged
into the inverter that's being run by the batteries
you want to charge. Is there any truth to that, and
if so, how does it work?

it will discharge faster than it is charging

wrote in message
On Nov 21, 2:08 pm, dh@. wrote:
Someone told me it's possible to charge an inverter
system's batteries using a battery charger plugged
into the inverter that's being run by the batteries
you want to charge. Is there any truth to that, and
if so, how does it work?

it will discharge faster than it is charging

Now there's an honest answer!

Eisboch

dh@. wrote in :

Someone told me it's possible to charge an inverter
system's batteries using a battery charger plugged
into the inverter that's being run by the batteries
you want to charge. Is there any truth to that, and
if so, how does it work?

It recharges the batteries much faster than the inverter uses the power up.
If you leave it running, you can even run an electric trolling motor from
the surplus power and eliminate the diesel or gas engine that gives so much
trouble.

This works even better if you have a small thermonuclear charger like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiois...tric_generator
Pay no attention to what it says about radiation. Russians have been
running their navaids off them for years!

Larry
--
Xterm IS the ultimate video game...(c;

posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing

In article ,
JR North wrote:
It works just as well as the perpetual motion machine in my basement.
JR

You keep a woman's mouth in your basement?????

posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
In article ,
JR North wrote:
It works just as well as the perpetual motion machine in my basement.
JR

You keep a woman's mouth in your basement?????

Hail the discovered of the only true perpetual motion machine. Welcome.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing
Jim Jim is offline

Default Inverter system charging ??? Perpetual motion machine

Eisboch wrote:

dh@. wrote:

Someone told me it's possible to charge an inverter
system's batteries using a battery charger plugged
into the inverter that's being run by the batteries
you want to charge. Is there any truth to that, and
if so, how does it work?

You have one of those too?

Shussssh!

Don't want to expose *all* our secrets ....

Eisboch

Here's mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us7YB7eiOeQ

"Jim" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvRzW...eature=related

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Jim" wrote in message

Eisboch wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message

It works just as well as the perpetual motion machine in my basement.
JR

You have one of those too?

Shussssh!

Don't want to expose *all* our secrets ....

Eisboch

Here's mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us7YB7eiOeQ

Please count to three, snap your fingers and wake me up.

Eisboch