Default Evinrude Charging system

I have a 1985 Evinrude 90hp V4 outboard. It is charging at an idle,
but falls off when you apply power. Can someone tell me where to begin
looking? Should i be looking at the rectifier or some place else?
Thanks -Rick

trainfan1 wrote:

What is the model # & year?

How do you know it's charging at idle, & not otherwise?

Please provide voltage/amperage readings, and where you took them, so we
can help you out.

Rob

It is a 1985 90hp V4 crossflow flow engine design. I have not gotten
any readings as of yet. The RPM gauge works fine at an idle, but falls
to 0 when power is applied. I was told by a marine guy (?) that this
is an idication of the charging system not working under power. He
indicated that it was most likey the rectifier. Before is started
digging and pulling the flywheel, i was looking for a second opinion,
or direction.

-Rick

Are you sure your rectifier is under the flywheel? I've got an older
135hp V4 (ten years older!) but the rectifier on it is on the block.

Thanks for all the postings. I am pulling the boat back to the house
on Thursday and will begin checking the items suggested.

The rectifier is under the flywheel on this model with tilt and trim.

I will post updates this weekend. Again, thanks for the suggestions!
-Rick

Captn' Rick wrote:

Are you sure your rectifier is under the flywheel? I've got an older
135hp V4 (ten years older!) but the rectifier on it is on the block.

Thanks for all the postings. I am pulling the boat back to the house
on Thursday and will begin checking the items suggested.

The rectifier is under the flywheel on this model with tilt and trim.

I will post updates this weekend. Again, thanks for the suggestions!
-Rick

Bummer! Mine takes about 5 minutes to change!