Bob

Default Evinrude VRO questions

I have a 1990 Evinrude 70 HP with the VRO system. It has worked fine until
this summer. The warning horn comes on. The motor is not overheating and
seems to be getting oil. When it first started I added oil to the gas and
checked the water coming out of the telltale. It is running cool and using
oil out of the tank (oil tank is 3/4 full). Anyone have a circuit diagram
for this system ? Any ideas of how to trouble shoot it ? Some people have
suggested removing the whole VRO system and just mixing oil with the gas.
Any suggestions or ideas welcome.
Bob.

Larry W4CSC

I removed the cheap plastic oil injection crap from my Mercury 175hp
Sport Jet. I mix the gas at 40:1 and never looked back. I had to
build a little pulser to fool the computer into thinking the oil
injection shaft was turning to stop all the damned beeping.

The motor looks like new inside, even though it has lots of hours on
it. 100:1 fuel/oil is NOT lubrication. It's suicide.

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:51:37 GMT, "Bob"
wrote:

I have a 1990 Evinrude 70 HP with the VRO system. It has worked fine until
this summer. The warning horn comes on. The motor is not overheating and
seems to be getting oil. When it first started I added oil to the gas and
checked the water coming out of the telltale. It is running cool and using
oil out of the tank (oil tank is 3/4 full). Anyone have a circuit diagram
for this system ? Any ideas of how to trouble shoot it ? Some people have
suggested removing the whole VRO system and just mixing oil with the gas.
Any suggestions or ideas welcome.
Bob.

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

rick

They work well...when they work. If there is a tiny bubble of air in the
line it will warn. pump the line with oil to flush it out. watch for smoke
to sure it is oiling; they can run quite a while without oil before
anything becomes apparent.
Many engines have been ruined by VRO becasue they pump water as well as
oil, keep the tank clean by emptying and flushing in the fall. pump the
oil thru until it stops the alar.
Finally: premix is much safer... but less convenient. you have to weigh
that.
rick