A.C.

Default Charging system on OB

75 Evinrude 20hp.

Has a generator that puts out 12vAC, and 7 point something amps. (Can't
find the book right now)
It works, and powers the lights. But not when the motor's not running. ;-)
Looking at putting in a small battery.

My question...why does it put out 12v AC? Was it too expensive to gear it
up to pump out 12.6vDC and be able to charge a battery?

I'd like to use the generator to run my lights, but the majority of the time
I'd need the lights, the motor would be shut off, and I'd be anchored,
fishing. I'd need to leave the motor idling.

I'd like to get a small battery and run the lights and maybe a couple other
trinkets off it...small AM/FM radio, cig lighter...that's about it. My plan
was to use the generator to charge the battery, 'till I read the book and
saw the 12vAC thing.......

Thoughts? Simple Solutions? (read 'cheap' and 'easy')

I'l likely wire everything up so I can run the lights off the motor when
under way, and then unplug from the motor and have a female plug attached to
the battery and plug into that when I stop to fish. Ugh...that'll be a
pain, though...

Clams Canino

Go to Shadio Rack and get the their "full wave bridge rectifier". It has 4
poles. 2 for the stator and a POS and NEG. Ground the NEG to the motor
block as well as the BAT. For what you wanna do even a motorcycle bat might
be OK.

The thing is about 1.5 inches square.

-W

"A.C." wrote in message
75 Evinrude 20hp.

Has a generator that puts out 12vAC, and 7 point something amps. (Can't
find the book right now)
It works, and powers the lights. But not when the motor's not running.

;-)
[...]

David Ward

:
: The thing is about 1.5 inches square.
:
: -W
Yo Clams...
He said the system was only 12 volts. Howya gonna charge a bike battery
w/ that? Rectifier isn't gonna jack the voltage up any...

Dave

Clams Canino

The 12v was *nominal* from his book. I'm *betting* that the raw unloaded AC
peak to peak is more than 12v - and a full wave bridge will net him peak.

Even so - unless he wants to convert the boat to a 9 volt system - it's the
best he's gonna get.

It'll cost him $5 and some time making up a few wires to try it - with a
real decent chance of success.

-W

"David Ward" wrote in message
nk.net...
"Clams Canino" wrote in message

. net...
: Go to Shadio Rack and get the their "full wave bridge rectifier". It

has 4
: poles. 2 for the stator and a POS and NEG. Ground the NEG to the motor
: block as well as the BAT. For what you wanna do even a motorcycle bat

might
: be OK.
:
: The thing is about 1.5 inches square.
:
: -W
Yo Clams...
He said the system was only 12 volts. Howya gonna charge a bike battery
w/ that? Rectifier isn't gonna jack the voltage up any...

Dave

A Sailor

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 17:43:41 GMT, "A.C." wrote:

75 Evinrude 20hp.

Has a generator that puts out 12vAC, and 7 point something amps. (Can't
find the book right now)
It works, and powers the lights. But not when the motor's not running. ;-)
Looking at putting in a small battery.

My question...why does it put out 12v AC? Was it too expensive to gear it
up to pump out 12.6vDC and be able to charge a battery?

Sounds to me that the rectifiers (usually in a sealed metal
block with small cooling fins easily fond by following the wires) are fried.
Usually caused by hooking the battery up backwards. On some units can be caused
by running the engine without a battery hooked up, but no usually the case with
an outboard. Have you asked an Evinrude dealer why?

Clams Canino

Sounds to me like the little feller puts out AC by design, just to run
lights. I don't think it ever had a rectifier block. Not according to his
manual it seems.

-W

"A Sailor" paceship_at_sentex.ca wrote in message

Sounds to me that the rectifiers are fried.

Lloyd Sumpter

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 23:43:04 +0000, David Ward wrote:

"Clams Canino" wrote in message . net...
: Go to Shadio Rack and get the their "full wave bridge rectifier". It has 4
: poles. 2 for the stator and a POS and NEG. Ground the NEG to the motor
: block as well as the BAT. For what you wanna do even a motorcycle bat might
: be OK.
:
: The thing is about 1.5 inches square.
:
: -W
Yo Clams...
He said the system was only 12 volts. Howya gonna charge a bike battery
w/ that? Rectifier isn't gonna jack the voltage up any...

Dave

Not a problem. "12V AC" is usually 12V RMS - meaning nearly 18V peak. A
full-wave rectifier will out put two nice 18V peaks per cycle that will charge a 12V
battery just fine.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Gfretwell

Not a problem. "12V AC" is usually 12V RMS - meaning nearly 18V peak. A
full-wave rectifier will out put two nice 18V peaks per cycle that will
charge a 12V
battery just fine.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

The problem might actually be "too much".
These unregulated systems tend to boil the water out of batteries.

David Ward

"Clams Canino" wrote in message news:sb2gb.503628$cF.179360@rwcrnsc53...
: The 12v was *nominal* from his book. I'm *betting* that the raw unloaded AC
: peak to peak is more than 12v - and a full wave bridge will net him peak.
:
: Even so - unless he wants to convert the boat to a 9 volt system - it's the
: best he's gonna get.
:
: It'll cost him $5 and some time making up a few wires to try it - with a
: real decent chance of success.
:
: -W

Ah... I get it. The book sez 12v, but could mean anything (we call it a 12v battery,
right?) so there might really be enough DC to do something.

Thanx.

Dave