posted to alt.rv,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing
Steve[_5_] Steve[_5_] is offline

Default Inverter system charging ???

"Tim" wrote in message

Steve wrote:
dh@. wrote in message
Someone told me it's possible to charge an inverter
system's batteries using a battery charger plugged
into the inverter that's being run by the batteries
you want to charge. Is there any truth to that, and
if so, how does it work?

If you have 2 half dead batteries it is possible to use them to juice up
one
battery completely and leave the other dead.

I dont' even see how you could do that. with jumper cables? no.

with a power inverter and battery charger? no, (not really)

your "half dead" battery won't produce enough power to keep the
inverter AND battery charger up (ona 12v. system) 14v DC [+/-], at
least for any real length of time to charge the other "half dead"
battery. especially fully charged.

Tim:

I can do it with two capacitors and a set of jumper cables. It is called a
"charge pump" which is a common type of electronic circuit for transferring
charge from a low potential to a high potential. The circuitry is explained
he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_pump

The power inverter and charger will also work just fine. From this link:

http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html

You can see a discharged battery produces nearly 12 volts (says so in the
above link). The discharged battery just can supply high current at 12
volts, which is fine you just have to set the charger at trickle charge.

An inverter can operate on DC voltage inputs of of 10-15 as seen he

http://www.novaelectric.com/dc_ac_in...vacg12600w.php

So it will definitely work with a fully discharged 12v lead acid battery.

Steve