Wim

Default PoliGlow

At the Toronto Boat Show, 17 Jan, I found the following "new product" and
reasonable in cost!
PoliGlow gives "old fiberglass" again the new "wet look". It's not a wax.
PoliGlow according to their brochure rates #1 with Practical Sailor and
Powerboat Reports.
It was first produced in Miami, FL in 1991.
www.poliglow.ca
Any comments and/or experiences from the real world?
--
c ya Wim
www.cruising.ca/thousand/f-index.html

Jim

Silicone?

wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:40:54 -0500, "Wim" wrote:

At the Toronto Boat Show, 17 Jan, I found the following "new product" and
reasonable in cost!
PoliGlow gives "old fiberglass" again the new "wet look". It's not a wax.
PoliGlow according to their brochure rates #1 with Practical Sailor and
Powerboat Reports.
It was first produced in Miami, FL in 1991.
www.poliglow.ca
Any comments and/or experiences from the real world?

My 1986 boat has had poliglow on it for 5 years. Annual maintenance
consists of washing the boat, and wiping on two more coats of the
product with the applicator to replace what has worn away. It takes me
about 4 hours from start to finish. My boat is one of the shiniest in
my marina, and it looks just as good in the fall when I haul it, as it
did in the spring when I launced it.

The first time you apply it, there is more work involved, but even
that is no more work than the usual compounding and waxing routine.

BB

Dave

I applied Poliglow to our J/40 (blue hull, in great shape) last month.
It was a lot of work applying five coats to the hull with the boat in
the water. The result was worth it, though after only a month it's
impossible to predict how it will hold up. I liked the look so well I
also applied it to some areas around the cockpit and the foredeck. It
really looks good there also. Make sure you do a thorough cleaning
using their Poliprep, else you will have dirt preserved under the
Poliglow and it will be very visible. I found their basic kit had more
than enough of the glow and prep to handle a 40 foot sloop.

Dave

"Wim" wrote in message ...
At the Toronto Boat Show, 17 Jan, I found the following "new product" and
reasonable in cost!
PoliGlow gives "old fiberglass" again the new "wet look". It's not a wax.
PoliGlow according to their brochure rates #1 with Practical Sailor and
Powerboat Reports.
It was first produced in Miami, FL in 1991.
www.poliglow.ca
Any comments and/or experiences from the real world?

Bobsprit

Bill. I have a Poliglow kit in my closet..bought it last year. I didn't use it
because a few people at my yard said it was a disaster. It flaked off a few
boats that it was applied to and was tough to remove. I got scared off and
never used my kit.
Any idea what may have happened? Should I give it a try?

RB

Rich Hampel

I'll second that a second time.
If you put it on, expect to have your boat in a year or two to look
like its has Yaws - a disasterous skin disease. .... and then be
prepared to soak the boat in acetone and scrub like hell to remove what
remains. Yup, you use it only once.