Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Fortress FX v. Rocna Anchor

Bob wrote in news:1193935854.883686.98280
@e34g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

Hi All:

All the talk about the Rocna anchor started me reading and looking.
There are some very compelling data the Rocna sets fast and holds
well. However, Ive noticed that all the tests Ive seen were all
similar sand type bottoms. Here is my question:

If anchoring in sand bottoms (hard, loose, sand/mud) why would I chose
the Rocna instead of an anchor design specifically for such
conditions; Fortress FX series. In other words, Fortress FX or Rocna?
Which holds best in sand or mud bottoms?

Or is the Rocnca's appeal that it holds adequately in a variety of
bottoms? Say, the better crescent wrench (adjustable spanner for you
Limeys).

bob

I actually carry a Fortress FX-23 as another spare anchor (I carry 2
spares). I very much like the Fortress, particularly as it's easy to
deploy in a dinghy and light weight. I've always been impressed with it's
holding ability, especially in seagrass bottoms where the CQR had a hard
time getting set. I must admit I've never used it in mud.

The biggest problem that I've had with the Fortress is the tines getting
clogged up with material and it dragging (or it dragged and got clogged up
while dragging). I've regularly retrieved it and had stuff stuck between
the tines and the shank.

I can't tell you which is better, but the Rocna fits well in my existing
bow roller and for some reason gives me a better feeling.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Experience with Rocna anchor ? Len Cruising 2 November 15th 06 05:18 PM
Fortress anchor Scotty ASA 29 May 4th 06 04:52 PM
Fortress Anchors Real Name General 23 September 3rd 05 04:17 PM
Looking for an anchor that I can store disassembled - other than Fortress? santacruz Cruising 11 May 8th 04 09:31 PM
WTB: 44# Bruce or FX-37 Fortress Anchor. S. Florida Hank Cruising 1 March 31st 04 03:47 AM