Geoff Schultz Geoff Schultz is offline

Default Fortress FX v. Rocna Anchor

Bob wrote in news:1193935854.883686.98280
@e34g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

Hi All:

All the talk about the Rocna anchor started me reading and looking.
There are some very compelling data the Rocna sets fast and holds
well. However, Ive noticed that all the tests Ive seen were all
similar sand type bottoms. Here is my question:

If anchoring in sand bottoms (hard, loose, sand/mud) why would I chose
the Rocna instead of an anchor design specifically for such
conditions; Fortress FX series. In other words, Fortress FX or Rocna?
Which holds best in sand or mud bottoms?

Or is the Rocnca's appeal that it holds adequately in a variety of
bottoms? Say, the better crescent wrench (adjustable spanner for you
Limeys).

bob

I feel like I'm almost in danger of be accused of being a rep for Rocna
(believe me, I'm not), but I literally just got this unsolicited e-mail
from a friend who bought a Rocna based upon recommendation from me. We
haven't talked in quite a while, and this was quite timely for this
discussion. He has a 53' Swan and was replacing a CQR. Anyhow, here's the
e-mail:

------------
Hey Geoff,

[clip of unrelated/personal stuff]

Chose to go with heavy chain of similar length as previously installed
(135' vs 120' previous 12mm) and added 135' of rode matched to load
capabilities of the chain (1' braid). Worked very well with the Rocna this
summer in numerous spots that the plow was absolutely ineffective. Actually
saw a bottom sample from Cuttyhunk for the first time ever (probably
dropped a plow in Cutty 3-4 times per year for last 15 years and never
penetrated the grass). Grabbed rock in a few remote anchorages East of
Schoodic Pen.

Rocna has absolutely exceeded my expectations and has availed me many very
comfortable nights sleep while the wind was blowing hard.

Thanks for the recommendation. it's one of very few marine products that I
have found to be fairly priced and built and designed to exceed my hopes.

Regards to you and Sue,

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org