posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

Default Fortress anchor

Anybody using one? Comments?
I have the opportunity to receive a free one, either 7 or 10
lb..
Does the old axiom of 'go one size bigger' apply to these
lightweight anchors?

(30' boat , Chesapeake Bay)
--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Anybody using one?

Yep, got a nice new one on the Beneteau 35s5 along with a SS chromed
Danforth.

Comments?

You're stupid.

I have the opportunity to receive a free one, either 7 or 10
lb..

You need the 10, the 7 is too close to the mimimum...32 or 33 feet I
think. I carry the 15. By the way, you'll also need some anchor line
with that or it won't hold your boat in place.

Bwahahahahahahahahahhahahaha!

RB
35s5

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com..
..

I have the opportunity to receive a free one, either 7

or 10
lb..

You need the 10, the 7 is too close to the mimimum...32 or

33 feet I
think. I carry the 15. By the way, you'll also need some

anchor line
with that or it won't hold your boat in place.

I thought I'd string together a bunch of shackles instead.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Anybody using one? Comments?
I have the opportunity to receive a free one, either 7 or 10
lb..

7lb is rated for aprox. 28-32 foot vessel, 10lbs is rated. for 33-38.
Factoring in disp. averages, you should accept the 10lb as a safe bet.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
SUZY

Id go with the 10lb'r Scotty.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Ringmaster

I have one and it works great. Just make sure you get the mud palms
with it. You need them on the Chesapeake.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Ringmaster

By the way the FX11 would be the correct size for your boat. If you
are buying make sure you know which model you are getting. Fortress
makes 2 lines. The original and a newer economy series.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jeff

Scotty wrote:
Anybody using one? Comments?

I used a FX-16 (10 lbs) on my Nonsuch 30, and now use a FX-23 (23 lbs)
on the cat. In both cases I considered them lunch hooks or second
anchors (primary is larger Delta), and would never, ever leave the
boat unattended or try to sleep while relying solely on a Fortress if
it was not set deeply in mud. The smaller one released completely
several time when we thought it was well and truly set, and failed to
reset because of debris caught in the flukes. We've had better
experiences with the larger Fortress, but it also has been fouled.

However, in New England we typically have hard, foul bottoms, and
reversing currents, and Danforth style anchors are not the best
choice. In the Chesapeake, we used the large Fortress several times
and always found that it had set deeply in the soft mud, where the
Delta would do the "slow drag." You can add mud palms set the flukes
for a mud angle, and get increased holding power. You should look on
the docks and ask folks that have them for their experiences.

I have the opportunity to receive a free one, either 7 or 10
lb..
Does the old axiom of 'go one size bigger' apply to these
lightweight anchors?

Even more so. Don't even consider the smaller F-11 (7 lbs). Even the
10 lb FX-16 is so light for its surface area that without chain it has
trouble finding the bottom if there's any current. If you really like
to sleep soundly, I'd say go up to the FX-23, which would almost be a
storm anchor for your boat, and yet can be easily handled.

The selection charts don't even pretend to suggest the proper anchor
for stronger winds; they are actually trying to show that the
expensive anchors are competitively priced. The Fortress chart, for
example, begins with the disclaimer: "Boat size recommendations are
for boats of average windage and proportions in 30 knots of wind,
average bottom conditions, and moderate protection from open seas.
Remember that the loads in 42 knots of wind are twice as much as in 30
knots."

Anyone who goes out for more than one night wants to know that their
gear is rated for more the 30 knots since on any summer night you can
get squalls with much stronger winds. This is a pet peeve of mine,
since most of the anchor holding tests are based on the charts, when a
better measure would be to compare anchors that are equally easy to
handle and set.

BTW, tests by an anchor manufacturer showed that the stock (the
cross-bar at the bottom) and thick chain actually inhibit quick
setting in certain muds. The made a mud anchor without the stock, but
it didn't look "nautical." When my Fortress stock got bent by another
boat, I just cut off 6 inches and have been happy with the result.
Also, since I use the Fortress primarily as a lunch hook/second
anchor, I reduced the chain to about 12 feet for easy handling. One
advantage of a lightly set up Fortress is that you can fish for the
bottom and you know instantly when its set; you can't do this with a
CQR and 50+ feet of chain!
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

The difference is slight. I would go for the bigger. We use them all the
time. They work great in mud/sand, less well in grass, rarely work in rocks.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scotty" wrote in message
Anybody using one? Comments?
I have the opportunity to receive a free one, either 7 or 10
lb..
Does the old axiom of 'go one size bigger' apply to these
lightweight anchors?

(30' boat , Chesapeake Bay)
--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Edgar

I am horrified at this. Would you go home and sleep easy knowing you had
left a 30' boat on a 10 lb anchor?
I have a 12' rowing dinghy and that has a 7lb anchor. My 22' open motor
boat has a 21lb anchor.
My Catalina 38 came from USA with a pathetically light and flimsy looking
Danforth type which I shall replace with a 35 or 38 lb Bruce anchor. The
Danforth is not like the Danforths we have in Europe. The shank is so flimsy
that if the tide turned after it had dug in I am certain it would bend.
You guys seem only to cater for having a lunch hook and never having to
anchor for real in a serious blow.

anchor line question RB General 15 May 1st 06 05:49 AM
Garmin 76/60CSX Anchor Drag Alarm Useless Viper Cruising 10 March 6th 06 10:56 PM
USMM Masters Quiz Joe ASA 1 October 17th 05 03:42 PM
On buying anchor chain. padeen Cruising 2 October 17th 05 03:03 PM