posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jeff

Default Fortress anchor

Fair enough, but I'd bet if you replaced one of those with a FX-16
you'd get used to saving about 5 pounds every time you'd haul.

Scotty wrote:
I have decided to not get the Fortress and stick with my 3
Danforths with16' of 3/8'' chain.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

The difference is slight. I would go for the bigger. We use them all the
time. They work great in mud/sand, less well in grass, rarely work in rocks.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scotty" wrote in message
Anybody using one? Comments?
I have the opportunity to receive a free one, either 7 or 10
lb..
Does the old axiom of 'go one size bigger' apply to these
lightweight anchors?

(30' boat , Chesapeake Bay)
--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Edgar

I am horrified at this. Would you go home and sleep easy knowing you had
left a 30' boat on a 10 lb anchor?
I have a 12' rowing dinghy and that has a 7lb anchor. My 22' open motor
boat has a 21lb anchor.
My Catalina 38 came from USA with a pathetically light and flimsy looking
Danforth type which I shall replace with a 35 or 38 lb Bruce anchor. The
Danforth is not like the Danforths we have in Europe. The shank is so flimsy
that if the tide turned after it had dug in I am certain it would bend.
You guys seem only to cater for having a lunch hook and never having to
anchor for real in a serious blow.

"Scotty" wrote in message
Anybody using one? Comments?
I have the opportunity to receive a free one, either 7 or 10
lb..
Does the old axiom of 'go one size bigger' apply to these
lightweight anchors?

(30' boat , Chesapeake Bay)
--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Ringmaster

The only thing I have to anchor for is race committee duty but after
reading the testing reviews I'm confident that a Fortress FX11 will
hold my boat in almost anything I'm likely to encounter on the
Chesapeake in the summer. Thunderstorms are short.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

The only thing I have to anchor for is race committee duty but after
reading the testing reviews I'm confident that a Fortress FX11 will
hold my boat in almost anything I'm likely to encounter on the
Chesapeake in the summer. Thunderstorms are short.

So's your attention span, dumb ass.
Thanks for a report on how you read about anchors...really useful.

What a total idiot Sloco remains. The poor jerk read something and that
gave him confidence in an anchor. Oh boy.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Ringmaster

So's your attention span, dumb ass.
Thanks for a report on how you read about anchors...really useful.

Hey dummy what are you trying to say with that post?

What a total idiot Sloco remains. The poor jerk read something and
that
gave him confidence in an anchor. Oh boy.

Yes that's true. Pay attention. A few years ago a test was done
comparing various brands of anchors by using a tug boat to try to pull
out the anchors. More scientific than most tests since strain gauges
etc were used. The Fortress won the competition. That gives me
confidence for what I do. Quit posting about things you know nothing
about and which I can continue to make you look like a dimwit. What a
dope.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

As I wrote, I'm anchoring in the Chesapeake Bay, mostly mud
and some sand. Danforth types are good for this.
The Fortress is Aluminum. Therefore the ''weight rating'' is
not the same as for a steel anchor.

BTW, I've anchored in 50kt winds and I'm on the boat while
anchored.

Scotty

anchor line question RB General 15 May 1st 06 05:49 AM
Garmin 76/60CSX Anchor Drag Alarm Useless Viper Cruising 10 March 6th 06 10:56 PM
USMM Masters Quiz Joe ASA 1 October 17th 05 03:42 PM
On buying anchor chain. padeen Cruising 2 October 17th 05 03:03 PM