tom tom is offline

Default Propane and propane accessories

Possible stupid ?s, I've never used propane before.

So I've got this nice new aluminum propane tank, what I see is you
exchange the
tanks, something I don't want to do, I want my tank back, is this
normal request or am I
going to get a blank stare?
I assume if I have to leave it they will give me a receipt and if I
get the "you don't receipt",
I should just walk out?
Is Suburban or Eastern propane ok?
Does the tank have to be completely empty?

thx, Tom

Tom,

Not stupid at all.

Keep you tank. Do not use the exchanges. Go to someone who fills them while
you wait. I use either my local hardware store or the local Suburban
Propane. The tank does not need to be empty, they can fill by weight.

Ansley Sawyer
SV Pacem

Red Red is offline

Tom,
Most regular propane refilling stations can refill your tank while you
wait. The tank exchange is convenient for them as they can fill many
tanks in one period. They usually offer propane in them slightly cheaper
if you don't take their time up for one refill and just exchange the
tank. It only works for regular commercially available tanks like the
one on your barbeque or camper or forklift, *not usually* the exotic
specialty tanks like fiberglass or aluminum - at least not around here.
Red

"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
Possible stupid ?s, I've never used propane before.

So I've got this nice new aluminum propane tank, what I see is you
exchange the
tanks, something I don't want to do, I want my tank back, is this
normal request or am I
going to get a blank stare?
I assume if I have to leave it they will give me a receipt and if I
get the "you don't receipt",
I should just walk out?
Is Suburban or Eastern propane ok?
Does the tank have to be completely empty?

thx, Tom

If you've got a new tank with the new valves, then you should be able to get
it filled no problem. No reason to do the exchange. I've been burned before
(no pun intended) by giving up a good propane tank for one that didn't work
right. They exchanged it, but I would have rather had the good one rather
than wonder about if the "replacement" was any good.

No stupid at all.. no stupid questions, just stupid answers. :-}

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Oct 30, 6:27 am, tom wrote:
Possible stupid ?s, I've never used propane before.

So I've got this nice new aluminum propane tank, what I see is you
exchange the
tanks, something I don't want to do, I want my tank back, is this
normal request ...

This is a normal request. You can get propane tanks filled just about
anywhere in the world. You typically go into your local gas company,
hardware store, or service station with your empty tank and ask them
to fill it. In the US you will buy gallons of propane, most
everywhere else you will buy kilos. Partial fills aren't a problem.
Most places will put your tank on a scale and fill it until its weight
matches that stamped on the tank. In the US they will fill it until
the OPD closes...

-- Tom.

Actually, at least where I lived, the exchange sites charged about twice the
price you would pay if you took your tank across the street to the local gas
station to have it filled. The Shell station refill cost was about 7 dollars
while the exchange at the grocery store was 14 or 15 dollars. I guess they
want you to pay for the privelege of not waiting 3 or 4 minutes for the
refill.

Rusty

"Red" wrote in message
Tom,
Most regular propane refilling stations can refill your tank while you
wait. The tank exchange is convenient for them as they can fill many tanks
in one period. They usually offer propane in them slightly cheaper if you
don't take their time up for one refill and just exchange the tank. It
only works for regular commercially available tanks like the one on your
barbeque or camper or forklift, *not usually* the exotic specialty tanks
like fiberglass or aluminum - at least not around here.
Red

Propane refrigeration? Evan Gatehouse Boat Building 5 May 4th 05 03:24 AM
Propane storage Tamaroak Cruising 2 March 4th 05 11:18 PM
Propane valves Skip Gundlach Boat Building 5 January 5th 05 03:58 PM
propane stoves Lee308 Cruising 34 December 13th 04 06:36 PM
Propane BBQ recommendations Alan Gomes ASA 1 October 12th 03 11:39 PM