Lee308

Default propane stoves

OK, I know the dangers of propane, and I have been using it for years
with no problem. I do not store propane in the cabin, nor do I leave it
in the cabin overnight. I use a stainless coleman type stove and love
it. I have external fuel lockers and leave the small propane cly there.
I can get 10-15 days out of one cly but all my cooking/coffee only
lasts 5 mins. I heat can goods and boil water. Nothing fancy.
My question is am I the only one? Does anyone else here use propane?
Alcohol is a hassel and slower.
Lee308

Lew Hodgett

"Lee308" writes:

My question is am I the only one?

No.

Does anyone else here use propane?

Yes.

Alcohol is a hassel and slower.

I drink alcohol, not heat my food with it.

Lew

JAXAshby

propane camping stoves have *substantially* higher heat output than propane
marine stoves, which have about the same heat output per minute as an Origo
stove.

FWIW, a golf ball size clump of C-4 plastic explosive burned under a pot will
boil a liter of water in about 30 seconds, but I wouldn't recommend as a marine
stove.

OK, I know the dangers of propane, and I have been using it for years
with no problem. I do not store propane in the cabin, nor do I leave it
in the cabin overnight. I use a stainless coleman type stove and love
it. I have external fuel lockers and leave the small propane cly there.
I can get 10-15 days out of one cly but all my cooking/coffee only
lasts 5 mins. I heat can goods and boil water. Nothing fancy.
My question is am I the only one? Does anyone else here use propane?
Alcohol is a hassel and slower.
Lee308

Doug Dotson

Propane rules! Have used it for years with absolutely no
problems. So have countless friends. Most that poopoo it
are Chicken Little types afraid of their own shadows.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Lee308" wrote in message
oups.com...
OK, I know the dangers of propane, and I have been using it for years
with no problem. I do not store propane in the cabin, nor do I leave it
in the cabin overnight. I use a stainless coleman type stove and love
it. I have external fuel lockers and leave the small propane cly there.
I can get 10-15 days out of one cly but all my cooking/coffee only
lasts 5 mins. I heat can goods and boil water. Nothing fancy.
My question is am I the only one? Does anyone else here use propane?
Alcohol is a hassel and slower.
Lee308

You know, you may be on to something, Hmmm,, wonder if it works wet? I
wonder if it can be made non explosive so it could be sold at 7-11 type
stores, different burn rates, one for the oven, the other for boiling
water, another for the grill.
If you get bored on that crossing, make little animals out of
it....:-P
Can you tell I'm not getting enough sleep?
Lee308
JAXAshby wrote:
propane camping stoves have *substantially* higher heat output than

propane
marine stoves, which have about the same heat output per minute as an

Origo
stove.

FWIW, a golf ball size clump of C-4 plastic explosive burned under a

pot will
boil a liter of water in about 30 seconds, but I wouldn't recommend

as a marine
stove.
(snip)

Jim Richardson

On 8 Dec 2004 18:09:21 -0800,
Lee308 wrote:
OK, I know the dangers of propane, and I have been using it for years
with no problem. I do not store propane in the cabin, nor do I leave
it in the cabin overnight. I use a stainless coleman type stove and
love it. I have external fuel lockers and leave the small propane cly
there. I can get 10-15 days out of one cly but all my cooking/coffee
only lasts 5 mins. I heat can goods and boil water. Nothing fancy.
My question is am I the only one? Does anyone else here use propane?
Alcohol is a hassel and slower.
Lee308

We have propane cooker, two of the small (approx 2gal) tanks outside,
with one hooked to the cooker (via the electronic shut off valve) and
one on the BBQ. We don't leave the valve on the tank open, open it when
we cook. Have a propane sniffer, the works. Paranoid is good in this
one.

It is often the case that the man who can't tell a lie thinks he is the best
judge of one.
JAXAshby

many times I boiled a 24 oz canteen cup of water to make c-rat coffee and do it
about 20 - 25 seconds. That stuff burns way too hot to cook food with.

it works wet, it works underwater, *but* (you knew this was coming) if
you compress it, by say, stomping on it to put it out, or such, it may
detonate. What you are doing is a slow burn, and the stuff is *mostly*
safe that way. Mostly.

Doubt it would boil a liter of water in 30sec, that seems more heat than
I recall from combustion of C4, but it does burn about as hot as those
solid fuel tabs you can get at camping stores. (chemically, it's not far
off of the triox tabs IIRC)

JAXAshby wrote:
propane camping stoves have *substantially* higher heat output than

propane
marine stoves, which have about the same heat output per minute as an

Origo
stove.

FWIW, a golf ball size clump of C-4 plastic explosive burned under a

pot will
boil a liter of water in about 30 seconds, but I wouldn't recommend

as a marine
stove.
(snip)

Q: What's a WASP's idea of open-mindedness?
A: Dating a Canadian.

JAXAshby

propane cylinders should not be store in the cabin. some leak, not all but
some leak.