Tamaroak

Default Propane storage

Does my propane locker have to be ABYC approved or does it just have to
be airtight and drain vapor overboard?

The damn things cost over $500. I can have one fabricated for a lot less.

Capt. Jeff
renewontime dot com

Tamaroak wrote:
Does my propane locker have to be ABYC approved or does it just have to
be airtight and drain vapor overboard?

The damn things cost over $500. I can have one fabricated for a lot less.

Capt. Jeff

I'd bet the best source of info on this would be a local Marine
Surveyor. Lots (I'd even guess most) of the boats I've delivered have
had either built-in or custom fabricated propane lockers. Assuming the
locker you have fabricated is designed, built and installed properly,
the only times you might have problems are when you have the boat
surveyed for sale or your insurance. If your surveyor gives it the
thumbs up, you should be OK.

Incidently, the ABYC requirements aren't exactly "secret", you should be
able to find out exactly what they are (maybe even borrow a copy) from a
good surveyor.

--

=-------------------------------------------------=
Renewontime
Jeff Morris

renewontime dot com wrote:
Tamaroak wrote:

Does my propane locker have to be ABYC approved or does it just have
to be airtight and drain vapor overboard?

The damn things cost over $500. I can have one fabricated for a lot less.

Capt. Jeff

I'd bet the best source of info on this would be a local Marine
Surveyor. Lots (I'd even guess most) of the boats I've delivered have
had either built-in or custom fabricated propane lockers. Assuming the
locker you have fabricated is designed, built and installed properly,
the only times you might have problems are when you have the boat
surveyed for sale or your insurance. If your surveyor gives it the
thumbs up, you should be OK.

Incidently, the ABYC requirements aren't exactly "secret", you should be
able to find out exactly what they are (maybe even borrow a copy) from a
good surveyor.

Here's part of the ABYC standards from 1998. Although the standards
are not "the law" in general, many sections are referenced by the CFR,
and thus become legal requirements. I don't know if that's the case
for propane lockers, though it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case
for inspected vessels.

A-1.12 LOCATION AND INSTALLATION - CYLINDER AND CONNECTED DEVICES
LPG cylinders, cylinder valves, safety devices and regulating
equipment shall be secured for sea conditions and readily accessible,
and shall be located:
A-1.12.1 on the exterior of the boat where escaping gases will flow
directly overboard, the cylinder valve, regulators, and safety devices
shall be in the ventilated location protected from the weather and
against mechanical damage, or
A-1.12.2 in a dedicated locker which shall be:
A-1.12.2.1 vapor tight to the hull interior,
A-1.12.2.2 located above the waterline,
A-1.12.2.3 constructed of or lined with corrosion resistant materials,
A-1.12.2.4 equipped with gasketed cover which:
A-1.12.2.4.1 opens directly to the atmosphere outside the boat,
A-1.12.2.4.2 opens only from the top,
A-1.12.2.4.3 latches tightly,
A-1.12.2.4.4 is capable of being quickly and conveniently opened
without tools for operating the cylinder valves, testing the system
for leakage and viewing the pressure gauge.
A-1.12.2.5 vented at the bottom by a dedicated vent,
A-1.12.2.5.1 led outboard without pockets through the hull sides to a
point lower than the locker bottom but above the waterline,
A-1.12.2.5.2 located at least two feet distant from any hull opening
to the boat interior, and
A-1.12.2.5.3 located at least two feet distant from an engine exhaust
terminus which is below the level of a vent outlet.
A-1.12.2.5.4 with a minimum diameter of any component in the vent
system not less than 12.5 mm (1/2 inch) inside diameter.
A-1.12.3 When means of access to the locker or housing is open, the
cylinder valves shall be capable of being conveniently and quickly
operated and the system pressure gauge dials shall be fully visible.
A-1.12.4 Storage provisions for unconnected reserve cylinders, filled
or empty, shall be the same as for the cylinder in use.
A-1.12.5 Lockers shall not be used for storage of any other equipment.

Propane valves Skip Gundlach Boat Building 5 January 5th 05 03:58 PM
propane stoves Lee308 Cruising 34 December 13th 04 06:36 PM
boat storage bussines practice kruliczek General 8 November 10th 04 02:17 PM
Copper Tubing in Propane System none Cruising 11 June 4th 04 01:43 AM
Storage Dividers??? Rob V General 1 September 16th 03 07:17 PM