Skip Gundlach

Default Propane valves

Well, as we get nearer to our departure, I find myself reading of some of
the adventures of folks trying to get propane in parts of the world not the
continental US. That brings two questions.

First and foremost is the US current mandate not to fill tanks with the
'old' style valves. Not bothering to be specific about the legislation, the
new valves look different, and apparently have some safety features built
into them. They're recognizable in part by a triangular handle and some
markings. One may buy replacement valves in discount and home improvement
stores for only a slight premium - say, 30-50% - over surrendering an old
tank and taking a full replacement, complete with new, compliant valve, from
their refilled tanks stand out front. How that makes sense is beyond me,
but, there you go.

As our boat has one each 20 and 10 pound aluminum tanks with the old style
valve, but one 20 with the current style, I wonder if the same refilling
restrictions exist outside the US. So, the question is, will our 'old
style' valves prove problematic outside the US? In particular, until we get
the itch to do something else, it's unlikely we'd go beyond the Caribbean
basin - but that includes many countries' rules and regulations.

Which brings me to the second question. I've read in these parts about the
inability to find propane which can be installed into our tanks in other
countries due to different valving normally found there. I've also read of
some enterprising souls, usually on the foreign soil, who have fabricated
adapters to make it possible to have the local fitting mate to ours. Is
this sort of exercise likely to be necessary in the Caribbean (anywhere from
Mexico in a loop through Venezuela to/through the Bahamas - and as a long
shot, perhaps Bermuda)? If so, in which countries/islands is this likely to
be an issue? And, are there any commercially available sources for such
adapters?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip and Lydia

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Glenn Ashmore

The new regs only apply in the US because we are the only country that
believes that government regulation can protect idiots from themselves.

The new valve has a float in it similar to a toilet tank that closes the
valve when the level reaches 80% full and a flow restrictor to prevent
drawing gas off faster than some arbitrary "safe" rate. Horzontal tanks and
tanks over 40 pounds are exempt. t has a male square thread for US filling
nozzels but still has the old style left hand female gas thread to keep it
compatable with existing equipment. That means that you can still get your
tanks refilled elsewhere.

BTW, you can get a new valve for about $19 at Northern Tool but it takes a 1
1/4" wrench and is a PITA to change out. It is really not worth it for a
steel tank but it might be for your aluminum tanks. I did it by wrapping a
ratchet type web holddown around the tank and clamping it in a vise.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Skip Gundlach" skipgundlach sez use my name at earthlink dot fishcatcher
(net) - with apologies for the spamtrap wrote in message
[...]

Skip Gundlach

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
The new regs only apply in the US because we are the only country that
believes that government regulation can protect idiots from themselves.

The new valve has a float in it similar to a toilet tank that closes the
valve when the level reaches 80% full and a flow restrictor to prevent
drawing gas off faster than some arbitrary "safe" rate. Horzontal tanks

and
tanks over 40 pounds are exempt. t has a male square thread for US

filling
nozzels but still has the old style left hand female gas thread to keep it
compatable with existing equipment. That means that you can still get

your
tanks refilled elsewhere.

I had a response in a mailing list which suggested as much - US
female-filled widely available in the Caribbean, and never a current US
valve in sight.

BTW, you can get a new valve for about $19 at Northern Tool but it takes a

1
1/4" wrench and is a PITA to change out. It is really not worth it for a
steel tank but it might be for your aluminum tanks. I did it by wrapping

ratchet type web holddown around the tank and clamping it in a vise.

I find it offensive to pay half more for a valve alone than a refilled
exchange tank with the same valve installed. I have about a dozen old-style
steel tanks; I expect I'll exchange a couple of them, use them up before
they rust out, remove the valve, remove the float, and swap out with my
aluminum tanks' old valves, just in case the boat has to visit US waters
sometime before the end of the AL tanks' service life :{))

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig
http://tinyurl.com/384p2

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Steve

I have an older alum tank (not sure of the size, about the size of a basket
ball) just for my BBQ. Paid $80 for it used but soon heard of the mandatory
OPD valve requirement. Checked a dozen or so refill/tank service stations
and none had the replacement valve for my size tank. Claimed they couldn't
find a stocking supplier..

I went on line and found my valve with a single Google and ordered it for
about $7. Took it to the refill/service station and they not only changed
the valve, but inspected and recertified my tank. Only cost was the price of
the refill..

BTW. To change the valve yourself is not something to attempt yourself since
you will have to hold the tank somehow while you remove the valve. This is
complicated by the valve guard. Once changed the tank should be inspected
and recertified. (If I were the operater of a refill facility, I wouldn't
want to risk filling DIY tank/valves.) These tanks require periodic
recertification anyway and most gas suppliers will do it for free or a small
fee.

My opinion and experience, FWIW.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Tom Watson

This is something I've had a bit of experience with... adapter hozez for
propane... you can get/ or / have made an adapter that will let you fill
one tank from another... we used to use this for a truck that ran on
propane and would occationally run out in the field... we would use the
adapter hoze to give an emergency refill to the truck tank and then
drive to the gas station to refill it. if you are concerned about being
able to refill I would procure one of these and use the tank that has
the proper nozzle and then just refill the other using the adapter
hoze...just be careful not to over fill ...that can be disasterous! use
the release nozzel to tell you when it is becoming too full!
Tom

Skip Gundlach wrote:
[...]

Steve

For those who have ask about where I go my valve:
Just do a Google using 'OPD valve' or go directly to
http://www.opdvalve.com/ where I found mine.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

propane stoves Lee308 Cruising 34 December 13th 04 06:36 PM
Copper Tubing in Propane System none Cruising 11 June 4th 04 01:43 AM
PVC valves on a seachest/manifold? Glenn Ashmore Boat Building 10 November 11th 03 11:19 AM
WTB - purge valves for dry bags Scott Bemis General 3 October 3rd 03 03:47 PM
WTB - purge valves for dry bags Scott Bemis Touring 3 October 3rd 03 03:47 PM