Skip Gundlach

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
news:O40Cd.8898$EG1.3132@lakeread04...
The new regs only apply in the US because we are the only country that
believes that government regulation can protect idiots from themselves.

The new valve has a float in it similar to a toilet tank that closes the
valve when the level reaches 80% full and a flow restrictor to prevent
drawing gas off faster than some arbitrary "safe" rate. Horzontal tanks

and
tanks over 40 pounds are exempt. t has a male square thread for US

filling
nozzels but still has the old style left hand female gas thread to keep it
compatable with existing equipment. That means that you can still get

your
tanks refilled elsewhere.

I had a response in a mailing list which suggested as much - US
female-filled widely available in the Caribbean, and never a current US
valve in sight.

BTW, you can get a new valve for about $19 at Northern Tool but it takes a

1
1/4" wrench and is a PITA to change out. It is really not worth it for a
steel tank but it might be for your aluminum tanks. I did it by wrapping

ratchet type web holddown around the tank and clamping it in a vise.

I find it offensive to pay half more for a valve alone than a refilled
exchange tank with the same valve installed. I have about a dozen old-style
steel tanks; I expect I'll exchange a couple of them, use them up before
they rust out, remove the valve, remove the float, and swap out with my
aluminum tanks' old valves, just in case the boat has to visit US waters
sometime before the end of the AL tanks' service life :{))

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain