Scott Bemis

Default WTB - purge valves for dry bags

I am planning to make many small dry bags - to use for kayaking,
backpacking, and bicycle touring. I would like to add purge valves to
these homemade dry bags. I cannot yet find a place that sells purge
valves that I can use with dry bags. I am looking for something
similar to the Autopurge (tm) valve as offered in Seattle Sports bags.

Any information on where to purchase purge valves would be
appreciated.

End
Roger Martin

"Scott Bemis" wrote in message
om...
I am planning to make many small dry bags - to use for kayaking,
backpacking, and bicycle touring. I would like to add purge valves to
these homemade dry bags. I cannot yet find a place that sells purge
valves that I can use with dry bags. I am looking for something
similar to the Autopurge (tm) valve as offered in Seattle Sports bags.

Any information on where to purchase purge valves would be
appreciated.

End

Just a comment from experience over the past few years. Dry bags work really
well when they are slightly pressurised, if they are purged they are likely
to suck moisture in. I had a nice damp sleeping bag on one trip where I used
the dry bag as a stuff bag and compressed the sleeping bag as I packed and
folded the neck.

Just my two bobs worth - any other opinions?

--
www.bribieisland4x4hire.com
VW Kombi Camper Buy Backs

Alex McGruer

"Roger Martin" wrote in message ...
[...]

That about echos my experience.
In some boats dry bags become an integral part og the floatation as
well (it shouldn't be but it happens.) With a little more air or
slight possitive preasure they do this a little better.
If you are trying to stuff a dry bag in a too small hole ( My NDK
Explorer's hatches) just let a little air out by unfolding the top of
the bag and refolding it when it is in the hatch. Oh the NDK hatches
are truly water and air tight. ( No slight intended on Nigel Dennis.)
they are however , small...
Good luck with the dry bags, I wish I could make my own.
Brian Nystrom

Alex McGruer wrote:

Oh the NDK hatches are truly water and air tight.

While watertight is obviously good, airtight is not, for the same reasons that you don't want to purge dry bags
excessively. Airtight hatches create pressure differentials which can draw water into the boat. Every boat I've
owned has stayed drier inside after I put small (1/32") breather holes in the bulkheads to allow pressure in the
compartments to equalize.

--
Regards

Brian