Scott Bemis

Default Still looking, WTB - purge valves for dry bags

Thanks for the tips for not create "negative pressure" in drybags,
assuming that I could find purge valves to purge the excess air from a
dry bag. I still would like to incorporate purge valves in my
homemade drybags.

End
DavidM

"Scott Bemis" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the tips for not create "negative pressure" in drybags,
assuming that I could find purge valves to purge the excess air from a
dry bag. I still would like to incorporate purge valves in my
homemade drybags.

End

Try a manufacturer of scuba diving drysuit valves, and use an automatic
cuff-dump valve. The Apeks ones are good, small and reliable, and easy to
install. Here is a source in theUK
http://www.divebooty.co.uk/equipment...ls.asp?pid=276 but for USA I'd
suggest trying rec.scuba.equipment and I'm sure they'll be able to help.

Cheers
David M

Scott Bemis

Default Thanks, drysuit cuff valves as purge valves for dry bags

This is an excellent suggestion. I will be getting these apek valves
and installing them in homemade dry bags. As I kayak and do not scuba
dive, I was not aware of these type of valves. My drysuit for
kayaking does not have any valves, which is normal for kayak drysuits.
I am grateful for this suggestion.

Try a manufacturer of scuba diving drysuit valves, and use an automatic
cuff-dump valve. The Apeks ones are good, small and reliable, and easy to
install. Here is a source in theUK
http://www.divebooty.co.uk/equipment...ls.asp?pid=276 but for USA I'd
suggest trying rec.scuba.equipment and I'm sure they'll be able to help.

Cheers
David M

DavidM

"Scott Bemis" wrote in message
om...
My drysuit for
kayaking does not have any valves, which is normal for kayak drysuits.

Yikes, I can't imagine kayaking where one needs a drysuit... Over here
(Western Australia) the water temp never gets below 14C or so

Cheers
David M

Scott Bemis

Default NRS Float Bag Valve http://www.nrscatalog.com/product.asp?pfid=3875

"
I have some valves like those used on flotation bags and they are almost
impossible to get. I received them as a result of a bulk purchase done
on the QajaqUSA web forum. The manufacturer couldn't tell where to get
them retail and only sold wholesale in lots of 1000. Big problem for us
DIY types.

Mike

I do know if this is the same valve you use or not

At web url http://www.nrscatalog.com/product.asp?pfid=3875

Northwest River Supplies sells NRS Float Bag Valve

This may also be an option. I would just like to avoid an exhaust
tube as I would like to use these drybags in backpacking, sea
kayaking, and bicycle touring

Scott Bemis
Michael Daly

On 15-Oct-2003, (Scott Bemis) wrote:

I do know if this is the same valve you use or not

At web url
http://www.nrscatalog.com/product.asp?pfid=3875

Northwest River Supplies sells NRS Float Bag Valve

That's the one. I got 8 for $1, IIRC - shipping was negligible
since it was included with heat sealable fabric.

This may also be an option. I would just like to avoid an exhaust
tube as I would like to use these drybags in backpacking, sea
kayaking, and bicycle touring

I'm using them with short tubes and am planning to use a little
flap to tuck them in. For a tapered drybag, I'm just going
to put it on the end sticking out minimally.

BTW, the BCD valves release relatively easily. If you stuff
the drybag into a tight spot and the cord is slightly tugged in the
process, it will stay open. There's no mechanism for locking them.
There may be another type of valve, but I can't think of one. Those
and the drysuit valves are kinda big and likely a lot more than the
$0.30 for the NRS valve. A quick google scan on the drysuit valves
yields prices between $50 and $100!!

Mike
Scott Bemis

Thanks for your experience with valves used in drybags for sea
kayaking (although I will also use these homemade, small drybags for
backpacking, and bicycle touring, too).

The valve at NRS Float Bag Valve
http://www.nrscatalog.com/product.asp?pfid=3875 is most likely the
lowest cost, although I doubt I could get your price of 8 for $1.00

Those drysuit valves are kinda big and likely a lot more than the
$0.30 for the NRS valve. A quick google scan on the drysuit valves
yields prices between $50 and $100!!

And yes, the drysuit dump cuff valves are relatively expensive.
The Apeks Drysuit Cuff dump is as of October 16, 2003 11.75 GBP
(United Kingdom Pounds) or about US $20, shipping not included as
listed
at http://www.divebooty.co.uk/equipment...ls.asp?pid=276,
Totally free from maintenance and requires no adjustment. Designed to
fit in the suit cuff and allows venting air to escape from the suit by
simply raising the arm for others who may search for this.
Merchant: Simply Scuba
Manufacturer: Apeks
Category: Drysuit Accessories
Model: Drysuit Cuff dump
Price: £11.75 GBP Convert
Shipping: See Site

Other valves that I am considering (as I am trying to avoid using
tubes)
although I like your ideal of
I'm using them with short tubes and am planning to use a little
flap to tuck them in. For a tapered drybag, I'm just going
to put it on the end sticking out minimally

and may use it. I have these type of valves on other floatation bags.

I found at the following web pages. These valves may have the issue
you mentioned about releasing when packed into tight spots. I would
need to modify the string like release if I were to use these valves.

There may be another type of valve, but I can't think of one. Those

BTW, the BCD valves release relatively easily. If you stuff
the drybag into a tight spot and the cord is slightly tugged in the
process, it will stay open.

And I strongly prefer to avoid pulling out a damp or wet sleeping bag
along with damp or wet clothing out of a drybag with a OPV or purge
valve that released.

At www.gmcscuba.com (Global MFG. Corpo, 1829 S. 68 Street, West Allis,
Wisconsin 53214, U.S.A. in my part of the world, makes a purge valve
for lift bags. It is listed on page 7 on their online catalog, in the
communication products and support gear section, item number 57030
Purge valve Purge Valve for Lift Bags. These are sold at local
scuba shops in the Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A. area. I will look
at these valves.

At www.underwaterfloation.com/drybags.htm, there are Prolift over
pressure valves used in liftbags. Prolift Over Pressure Valves are
available in 2 styles. The two piece black screw type is used on our
smaller liftbags and requires no special tooling for installation.
The large white PVC Valve is used on larger liftbags and requires a 1
1/2" flange to be installed.
OPVBLK - Over Pressure Valve Black $9.00
OPVWHT - Over Pressure Valve White $12.00
And liftbags could make the world's largest sponsons, making a kayak
unsinkable (just kidding .

I assume these purge and over pressure valves are similar to BCD
valves, although I do not have a BCD (just a simple kayaker, no scuba
experience).

I have spent far more time looking at valves than I initially planned
(and looking at scuba related gear in the process).

Scott
DavidM

"Scott Bemis" wrote in message
om...

At www.underwaterfloation.com/drybags.htm, there are Prolift over
pressure valves used in liftbags. Prolift Over Pressure Valves are
available in 2 styles. The two piece black screw type is used on our
smaller liftbags and requires no special tooling for installation.

Scott, FWIW the black valve looks like a standard BCD OPV valve. These are
also used in small (50kg) personal lift bags used by recreational divers.

Cheers
David M