Default Ping Peggie

Question in the Island Packet group about aluminum and OdorLos.

Answer?

Nice meeting you at SSCA! - the addy I had for you has bounced so I
sent here - please cc me on a response or drop a note directly...

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts."
(Richard Bach, in The Reluctant Messiah)

Skip Gundlach wrote:
Question in the Island Packet group about aluminum and OdorLos.

Answer?

Odorlos won't harm an aluminum holding tank...but urine will destroy it.
That's been a known fact long enough that I'm very surprised that IP
still using aluminum holding tanks.

Nice meeting you at SSCA! - the addy I had for you has bounced so I
sent here - please cc me on a response or drop a note directly...

Nice to finally meet you too!

--
Peggie
----------

Glenn (s/v Seawing) wrote:
Did I read that correctly...urine will destroy an aluminum holding tank?

Yep. It'll destroy ANY metal holding tank, even 316 stainless.

Bummer...my Father just had one made for his trawler. Any way to prevent
this?

Nope. But it's not gonna suddenly disintegrate. The average lifespan of
any metal waste tank is about 10 years. Typically, it'll start to leak
at a weld in seam or fitting within about 2 years...and turn into a
colander in about 10 years.

So you might want to tell him not to panic...it'll be ok for the next
few years. Just keep an eye--and his nose--on it. And tell him not to
bother repairing the first leak...'cuz the first one is always ONLY the
FIRST one. The time to replace it with a good quality thick walled
plastic tank is after it springs te first leak. Till then, he can relax.

--
Peggie
----------

Peggie Hall wrote:
Glenn (s/v Seawing) wrote:
Did I read that correctly...urine will destroy an aluminum holding tank?

Yep. It'll destroy ANY metal holding tank, even 316 stainless.

Bummer...my Father just had one made for his trawler. Any way to
prevent this?

Nope. But it's not gonna suddenly disintegrate. The average lifespan of
any metal waste tank is about 10 years. Typically, it'll start to leak
at a weld in seam or fitting within about 2 years...and turn into a
colander in about 10 years.

So you might want to tell him not to panic...it'll be ok for the next
few years. Just keep an eye--and his nose--on it. And tell him not to
bother repairing the first leak...'cuz the first one is always ONLY the
FIRST one. The time to replace it with a good quality thick walled
plastic tank is after it springs te first leak. Till then, he can relax.

Any chance coating the inside with an epoxy coating will help extend
the lifespan? In commercial ships black water tanks ARE often built
into the hull of the ship as integral steel tanks.

Though I'm not fond of the practice myself, sometimes the tanks are
2000 - 3000L and plastic tanks of that size are a bit bulky to fit
into an engine room...

Evan Gatehouse

Red Red is offline

Hey Peggie, speaking of holding tanks I have a question for you. I have
been using CP & KO with good luck as it is holding down the smells from
the bowl to the tank. But the one stink I haven't attacked yet is from
the intake raw water hose.
When the head is flushed wet the raw water coming in is really strong
stinky. Just wondered what solution you have for this. (If you've
already covered this in a previous post just guide me to it and I'll
read it there, thanks)

Also I just spotted a little device in a store, the name of which
escapes me at the moment, that attaches to the intake line just inside
of the seacock that utilizes some type of replaceable deoderizing tablet
that treats the head's intake water to kill the smell before it reaches
the bowl. While it looks like just the thing for this problem, I wonder
if you have any experience with that sort of thing and what your
thoughts on it are (I noticed that on the bottles of KO and CP that it
says not to use anything chemical with it).
Thanks,
Red

Somebody wrote:

Did I read that correctly...urine will destroy an aluminum holding

tank?

Yep. It'll destroy ANY metal holding tank, even 316 stainless.

That's why "tank resin" exists.

Lew

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Somebody wrote:

Did I read that correctly...urine will destroy an aluminum holding

tank?

Yep. It'll destroy ANY metal holding tank, even 316 stainless.

That's why "tank resin" exists.

Metal tank mfrs have have been coating holding tanks with all kinds of
things...epoxy, resin... To date there has been nothing that will
extend the life of a metal holding more than a year or two...if that long.

--
Peggie
----------

"Peggie Hall" wrote:

Metal tank mfrs have have been coating holding tanks with all kinds of
things...epoxy, resin... To date there has been nothing that will extend
the life of a metal holding more than a year or two...if that long.

Guess my customers, the heavy chemical industry, are unaware of this
limitation.

Lew

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 01:23:38 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

Did I read that correctly...urine will destroy an aluminum holding

tank?

Yep. It'll destroy ANY metal holding tank, even 316 stainless.

That's why "tank resin" exists.

Metal tank mfrs have have been coating holding tanks with all kinds of
things...epoxy, resin... To date there has been nothing that will
extend the life of a metal holding more than a year or two...if that long.

I have a thought. It's off the top, but it's worth testing.
Any acidic solution tends to eat metal. Water doesn't even
need to be acidic to promote pin hole corrosion in some
aluminum alloys. Oxygen depleted water is hell on stainless.

But alkaline solutions, in general, don't eat metal so well, or at
all. I have this hunch that waste water rendered slightly high pH
of neutral would help a tank to survive.
Do you have any stories on this topic?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Ping: Peggie Hall RG Cruising 3 May 1st 06 08:30 PM
Ping Peggie OdorSafePlus Skip Gundlach Cruising 4 February 11th 06 01:20 PM
Ping: Peggie Hall RG General 2 March 20th 04 07:27 PM
For Peggie IamAeolus Cruising 23 August 27th 03 06:07 PM
Thanks Peggie! Cindy Ballreich Cruising 8 July 30th 03 05:17 PM