Skip Gundlach

Default Ping Peggie OdorSafePlus

Hi, Peggie,

Re my prior "Eek" post, later today I'll learn if Aussiglobe will sell their
patents or resume selling the hose.

However, my recollection had it that SeaLand's new offering wasn't the equal
of the AVS96. Their site shows it as being notably, though not
dramatically, better.

Which is it?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Peggie Hall

Skip Gundlach wrote:

Hi, Peggie,
Re my prior "Eek" post, later today I'll learn if Aussiglobe will sell their
patents or resume selling the hose.

However, my recollection had it that SeaLand's new offering wasn't the equal
of the AVS96. Their site shows it as being notably, though not
dramatically, better.

Which is it?

I've seen no evidence other than SeaLand's claims that OdorSafePlus is
superior to AVS96 (which SeaLand marketed as their original OdorSafe). I
have heard of odor permeation failures with it, and I also consider it
odd that SeaLand only began recommending hard pipe for some
installations and even began selling hose-hard pipe connectors only
after they switched to another supplier for their OSPLUS hose.

I knew last fall that continued production of AVS96 in '06 was on very
shaky ground...the Aussies just haven't been able to break the OEM and
other large quanitity markets...weren't selling enough of it justify the
cost of mfr'g it. That news broke my heart, too...not just because AVS96
is an outstanding hose, but because Bill Bemrose and the AussieGlobe
folks are good people who deserve a break. I was asked to keep that
information confidential--and have therefore "laid low" on this topic
till the Aussies were ready to go public that it was being discontinued
(which they did when they removed the AVS96 page from their
website)...but being a realist and knowing that a lot of people would be
asking me for hose recommendations, I've been looking for the best
alternative to it for about 3 months.

And everything I've been able to learn points to Trident 101 or 102
http://www.tridentmarine.com/stage/sanitation.htm It's the "new hose
with the green stripe" y'all may have heard about. 101 and 102 are
identical except for color...they're both double-walled rubber hose that
has a bacteriacide in the rubber formula. The only downsides are price
(around $9/ft) and, because it's double-walled, the outer diameter is
1/8" thicker than single wall hoses--which can make it a bear to pull
through tight openings in bulkheads. The upsides are, it's a LOT more
flexible than OdorSafe or AVS96, which makes it much easier to work
with. And it's available in all sizes, not just 1.5" as OdorSafe and
AVS96 are. And it has the same 5 year warranty as AVS96 and OdorSafe.

So after a lot of research into various hoses, I feel VERY comfortable
recommending Trident 101,102 over OdorSafe...IMO, it's at least as good
as AVS96.

I'm curious, though, Skip...Since you've said you have what amounts to a
"lifetime supply" of AVS96, and therefore you aren't looking for an
alternative to AVS96, and unless you have a new job, you're not in a
position to need to know what to recommend...what's YOUR interest in the
future of AVS96?

--
Peggie
----------
Bob

Hi Peggy:

Just thought I would but in here and say
thank you for all your posts. Very informative. After reviewing all the
searchable conversations here I have my new VLs and a new PH2. Will do
an install this weekend.

Thanks again for posting here.
Bob

Skip Gundlach

Hi, Peggie, and list,

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
news
I'm curious, though, Skip...Since you've said you have what amounts to a
"lifetime supply" of AVS96, and therefore you aren't looking for an
alternative to AVS96, and unless you have a new job, you're not in a
position to need to know what to recommend...what's YOUR interest in the
future of AVS96?

--
Peggie

Just having recommended it in the various lists of boaters who continually
bring up the problem again, etc.

Having taken out some very young, but also very stinky, 148 from both heads,
I knew for sure that it wasn't going back in anyplace if I had any
alternative.

Thanks for the lead - if I get hung up, I'll use it. In the meantime, it's
PVC and short pieces for me, but I've got 15' of it. At the rate I'm
hopeful I'll use it (aft cabin yet to be determined), it ought to go a very
long way.

One of the members of the liveaboard sailnet group has 20 of OS+ they're
selling...

L8R

Skip, going back for another work session on 15Feb, and two days out from
the 3 stents following the very informative stress test Tuesday morning

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
http://tinyurl.com/384p2 The vessel as Tehamana, as we bought her

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Keith

Bummer! Glad I already replaced everything in the boat with it. Guess I
better hang onto that 5' leftover piece as well!

PING Joe.. jlrogers ASA 52 December 4th 05 12:33 AM
Ping..........ping.................ping........... *JimH* General 0 October 30th 05 09:33 PM
Ping Doug! Capt. Rob ASA 0 October 26th 05 08:44 PM
Hey Peggie / Group - LactraSan question [email protected] Boat Building 3 October 10th 05 08:37 PM