Default Hey Peggie / Group - LactraSan question

Peggie / Gang:

Given that holding tanks and their attendant odors, pumpout hassles and
maintenance headaches are a real PItA, *why don't the manufacturers of
new yachts forgo them altogether* and install the LactraSan instead?
That is, while walking through new 35+ foot sailboats at recent boat
shows, most manufacturers seems to emphasise the size of the vessel's
holding tank. Wouldn't it be wiser to state "we don't need no stinking
holding tank" (because the boat is equipped with a LactraSan)?

I appreciate that there are some No Discharge Zones in which the
LactraSan would be illegal, but aren't these primarily in fresh water
environments - places where 35+ foot sailboats are unlikely to
frequent? (Related question: can you direct me to any on-line resource
which indicates where the US NDZ's are located?).

Next, with regard to the LactaSan: If one has 4 or 5 guests on-board,
and (for some unfathomable reason) they all need to make a deposit of
solid material within minutes of one another, will the LactraSan be
able to process this material? Put another way, what is the
'frequency' or 'cycle time' of the LactranSan?

Lastly, the diagrams on the LactraSan .pdf installation manual

(http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/.../L270v0404.pdf)

do not show the location of any vented loop(s). Can you suggest where
these should be located?

Appreciate your insight.

Mike Worrall
Los Angeles

Peggie Hall

Given that holding tanks and their attendant odors, pumpout hassles and
maintenance headaches are a real PItA, *why don't the manufacturers of
new yachts forgo them altogether* and install the LactraSan instead?

Cost is the main reason. It only costs a builder +/- $100 materials and
labor to install a holding tank...OEM price for a Lectra/San is about
$500--plus labor, and they'd still have to install a small tank too, for
use in NDZs. But even if cost weren't a factor, holding tanks are
"politically correct"...treatment isn't.

I appreciate that there are some No Discharge Zones in which the
LactraSan would be illegal, but aren't these primarily in fresh water
environments - places where 35+ foot sailboats are unlikely to
frequent?

There are a LOT more 30'-38' sailboats (even bigger than that on the
Great Lakes, which are ND) are on inland waters than you might
think...'cuz people today want "all the comforts of home" aboard as well
as on land, and you can't have 'em on boats much smaller than about 35'.
So there are about as many 35+ sailboats on inland waters as there are
in coastal waters.

The irony is, builders only install tanks, but also put macerators to
dump the tanks on almost all their boats, regardless of where they're going.

In coastal waters, there are quite a few small ND harbors and
marinas...the only major ones are the whole state of RI, about half of
MA, the FL Keys, and most of SoCal.
So the only practical answer is to make the Lectra/San a dealer added
option, same as upgraded toilets.

http://www.epa.gov/owow/oceans/regul...vsdnozone.html

Next, with regard to the LactaSan: If one has 4 or 5 guests on-board,
and (for some unfathomable reason) they all need to make a deposit of
solid material within minutes of one another, will the LactraSan be
able to process this material?

The Lectra/San treatment cycle is 2.5 minutes, so if each of 'em can
wait that long after the person before him, it can process each flush
with no problem, provided the volume of each flush/treatment cycle
doesn't exceed a gallon. Since the average flush is about .6 gal, the
L/S can handle it.

That said, the L/S motors aren't designed for continuous duty...after
about 3-4 back to back treatment cycles, it should "rest" for about 15
minutes to allow the motors to cool down.

Lastly, the diagrams on the LactraSan .pdf installation manual
(http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/.../L270v0404.pdf)
do not show the location of any vented loop(s). Can you suggest where
these should be located?

That depends on the particular installation. If the toilet and L/S are
both above waterline (unlikely on any sailboat), no loop is needed
between the toilet and the L/S unless the L/S isn't below the toilet
discharge. However, if the toilet and L/S are below waterline, or if the
discharge from the toilet can't run at least slightly downhill to the
L/S, a vented loop is needed between the toile and the treatment unit.
Regardless of whether the toilet OR the L/S is above the waterline,
there should be a loop between the L/S and the thru-hull 'cuz that's
just SOP in all hoses connected to below waterline thru-hulls.
--
Peggie
----------

Whoa! I didn't realize the list of NDZ's was so extensive... On boats
equipped with LactraSan, is it SOP to also install a holding tank with
'Y' valve? That is, when in the marina or less than 3 miles offshore
(I'm in SoCal) one directs the outflow from the LactraSan (via the 'Y'
valve) into the tank, and when greater than 3 miles offshore, the valve
is switched to overboard discharge?

May I assume that - in the process of 'processing' - the LectraSan
removes / minimizes the odors associated with products presented to it?
In other words, if one has the 'Y' valve in the 'NDZ' position
(filling the tank) are the nasties generally associated with holding
tanks minimized?

You're the best, thanks for your reply.

MW

Peggie Hall

wrote:

Whoa! I didn't realize the list of NDZ's was so extensive...

Actually, it's not in coastal waters...most on that list are just very
small harbors and inland waters.

On boats
equipped with LactraSan, is it SOP to also install a holding tank with
'Y' valve? That is, when in the marina or less than 3 miles offshore
(I'm in SoCal) one directs the outflow from the LactraSan (via the 'Y'
valve) into the tank, and when greater than 3 miles offshore, the valve
is switched to overboard discharge?

Yep.

May I assume that - in the process of 'processing' - the LectraSan
removes / minimizes the odors associated with products presented to it?
In other words, if one has the 'Y' valve in the 'NDZ' position
(filling the tank) are the nasties generally associated with holding
tanks minimized?

Yes...and no. The discharge from the Lectra/San is odorless...in fact,
ANY odor--inside the boat or in the discharge--is a sign that it's not
working. However, although the L/S reduces the bacteria count to 10/100
ml (the law only requires it to be 1000/100ml), only one of the li'l
buggers has to survive in the tank to multiply into zillions VERY
quickly, especially in hot weather. So while there is LESS potential
tank odor--or at least it takes longer to get bad--from waste in a tank
that's been treated first, the same principles and maintenance are
needed to keep the tank odor-free as are needed for waste that hasn't
been treated first.

So while Raritan recommends putting the y-valve AFTER the L/S, when it
comes to odor prevention, it really doesn't matter much whether the
y-valve is before the L/S or after it.

--
Peggie