Cindy Ballreich

Default Thanks Peggie!

Peggie Hall,

I received my copy of "Get Rid of Boat Odors" in the mail about
two weeks ago. Both my husband and I are very impressed. So far
we've managed to get rid of the rotten egg smell in our fresh
water, we've identified a problem with one of our vents, and I
rebuilt our head last weekend. Your book may not get the
coffee-table sales potential that "Brightwork: The Art of
Finishing Wood" may have, but it's probably more useful. It will
always have place in our boat's bookshelf.

One question, if you had to rate a particular head as "easiest to
rebuild in a rolly anchorage or a seaway", which one would you pick?

Cindy

Peggie Hall

Cindy Ballreich wrote:
Peggie Hall,

I received my copy of "Get Rid of Boat Odors" in the mail about two
weeks ago. Both my husband and I are very impressed. So far we've
managed to get rid of the rotten egg smell in our fresh water, we've
identified a problem with one of our vents, and I rebuilt our head last
weekend. Your book may not get the coffee-table sales potential that
"Brightwork: The Art of Finishing Wood" may have, but it's probably more
useful. It will always have place in our boat's bookshelf.

Thanks for the great book review, Cindy!

One question, if you had to rate a particular head as "easiest to
rebuild in a rolly anchorage or a seaway", which one would you pick?

Under those conditions, no head would be easy to rebuild. So I'd
recommend doing it as preventive maintenance when you can choose your
time and place instead of waiting till you have no choice but to do it
in adverse conditions.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Jim Richardson

Default Peggie, whats the best head, iyho??

As a side question. What's your opinion on bladder tanks for holding
tanks?

Linux, because eventually, you grow up enough to be trusted with a fork()
Jeff Morris

I'll second the book review - I enjoyed it greatly right up to the point where my dog
enjoyed it also.

There is one head easy to "rebuild" in stressful conditions: a Lavac. The head itself has
no moving parts - the only part to get fouled is the pump, which is mounted separately.
You can keep a spare pump and swap it in when needed - a few hose clamps, a few mounting
screws.

Of course, if you clog the hoses, you have a problem, as you would with any head.

However, the Lavac is a quirky beast - I'm not sure I would get another one, though it
would be on the list.

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message ...

Cindy Ballreich wrote:
[...]

Peggie Hall

Jeff Morris wrote:
I'll second the book review - I enjoyed it greatly right up to the
point where my dog enjoyed it also.

My publisher is gonna love all these endorsements for it.

There is one head easy to "rebuild" in stressful conditions: a Lavac.
The head itself has no moving parts -

Welllll....how many toilet BOWLS do???

the only part to get fouled is
the pump, which is mounted separately.

And that makes it any different from a pump mounted right next to the
bowl? Ok...granted, it's a diaphragm pump instead of a piston cylinder
pump...and diaphragm pumps DO require less maintenance than piston
cylinder pumps...but it's still a toilet pump that does require SOME
maintenance, no matter where it's located.

You can keep a spare pump and
swap it in when needed - a few hose clamps, a few mounting screws.

You can keep a spare pump for any toilet...and they swap out just as easily.

Don't misunderstand...I don't have anything against the Lavac...it's a
VERY good toilet (although not the best choice for "weekend warriors"
who have children or entertain landlubber guests aboard). I'm only
fascinated that so many people never equate maintaining a pump that
isn't sitting right next to the bowl with maintaining the toilet.

Peggie
----------

Cindy Ballreich wrote:

[...]

Peggie ---------- Peggie Hall Specializing in marine sanitation
since 1987 Author "Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine
Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Florida Keyz

sterling
Jeff Morris

I'm not saying the Lavac is less maintenance - just that its easier. In a lot of heads it
can be painful just getting a wrench in the vicinity of the pump. When the pump is
located somewhere other than "under the toilet" it becomes easier.

I'd agree, though, the Lavac is best suited to people that understand its care and
feeding.

Cindy Ballreich wrote:

[...]

Peggie Hall

Jim Richardson wrote:
As a side question. What's your opinion on bladder tanks for holding
tanks?

Bladders are ok for water or diesel, but not a good choice for waste
holding. For one thing, their average lifespan is only about 15
years--not that much longer than metal. For another, it isn’t at all
uncommon for a bladder to blow out its fittings at the first sign of a
clog—even more common in bladders that aren’t vented (which should never
be used for waste holding in any event, because waste produces expanding
gasses that can blow out fittings or even burst the tank, and because
methane is flammable). And because they're designed to hug the
contents, it's almost impossible to maintain 'em aerobically so
controlling odor--not necessarily inside the boat, but out the vent when
the head is flushed--in a flexible tank is all but impossible.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Jim Richardson

Linux, because eventually, you grow up enough to be trusted with a fork()

Peggie Hall question Wayne.B General 14 March 24th 04 01:36 AM
Ping: Peggie Hall RG General 2 March 20th 04 07:27 PM
Peggie, question Jim General 16 February 18th 04 05:17 PM
Peggie, HELP Jim Boat Building 9 February 18th 04 05:09 PM
Opinion from Peggie? Gould 0738 General 6 August 30th 03 04:05 PM