BoatBanter.com

-   -   Fuel transfer/polishing pump (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/8267-fuel-transfer-polishing-pump.html)

Doug Dotson November 26th 03 03:06 PM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

I don't think I would use one for an engine filter, but they seem to
be well suited to polishing.

My Yanmar distributor said that using any filter less than 30 micron
would void my warranty.

Doug

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Mastry, my Yanmar distributor, does not like the paper towel filters AT
ALL.

Doug Dotson wrote:

I'n not convinced that these paper towel filter elements are a great
thing. When I pull a sheet off of a roll I can usually notice a fine
dust if I look close.

Doug

"Keith" wrote in message

See http://www.trawlerworld.com/features_06.htm for a good polishing

system

based on the Gulf Coast F-1 filter and Walbro pump. I installed one like
this on my Krogen and love it.

"Rufus" wrote in message

goggle "fuel polishing lv-ab" for starters

Doug Dotson wrote:

I am designing a fuel polishing and transfer system. My thought
is to use valves to route fuel from any tank to any tank. No
problem with that part. I want to be able to just transfer fuel
or switch in a filter to polish the fuel while transferring. Since
I can select the same tank for source and destination, I can
polish fuel in place as well. The problem comes with the selection
of a pump. I was looking at a Groco or Jabsco pump which seems
good for transfer purposes, but way exceeds the flowrate of the
filter when polishing. A Walbro fuel pump (which I have as a priming
pump now) seems like a good fit for polishing (33 GPH) but will be

slow

when just transferring fuel. What happens when a 5.5 GPM pump
(Jabsco) is pushing fuel through a filter rated at 60 GPH (RACOR 500)?

Thanks!
Doug
s/v Callista

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore November 26th 03 03:21 PM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

I did the reversing pump so I can select which main to draw from when
filling the day tank from the nav station. Once I get an accurate
measure of the flow rate I can calibrate a timer to transfer an exact
amount of fuel to the day tank. That should simplify fuel management.
Just set the timer, make a log entry and forget it.

I see my set up not so much as a fuel polishing system as a pre-filter.
As a practical matter, full polishing is rather rarely required.
When I do get a gunked up load I will just have set it to recirculate
and sacrifice a filter. I understand that Parker/Racor makes a
washable diesel filter but I can't find any data on it.

Doug Dotson wrote:

Sounds like a good system. I've designed mine so that a reversing
pump is not necessary, and I can switch the filter in or out. The
idea is that bypassing the filter I can transfer fuel faster if the
fuel is already clean. One poster mentioned that Raycor type filters
don;t make good polishing filters because they are surface filters and
clog up quickly. The paper towel and toilet paper types are better
for polishing. I was always thinking of using Raycors but now I have to
do some more research.

Doug

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message

Doug,

I have been through this myself. Actually you do have more of a filter
problem than a pump problem. The 500 is just to small for a practical
polishing system. You need a 1000 at a minimum.

The smallest transfer pumps (Reverso) are rated at 180 GPH at zero head
which is the max rating for the 1000. Racor says that when you get
close to the max rating the turbine can scour water out of the bowl but
you have head loss in the piping and the filter itself so the actual
flow will be somewhat below the max rating. It would take four 1000's
to keep up with a Jabsco VR050 and two to handle a Groco SP06.

While the Reverso filters can handle up to 15 PSI, Reverso incourages
upstream installation to avoid the possibilities of pressureized leakage
and slightly better filtering performance.

My system consist of 40 gal port and stbd mains and a 30 gal "day" tank.
The mains have Racor 1000s on their pickup lines and there is no
external fill for the day tank. Any fuel reaching it has to go through
a filter first. I am using the Reverso GP301 3 GPM reversable with four
check valves and two 3-way selector valves.

By changing the direction of the pump rotation I can pull from either
main tank and with one 3-way selector can route the output to any of the
three tanks. The second 3-way allows me to bypass the day tank and pull
from either of the mains should the Reverso crap out. With this
arangement I can fill the day tank with freshly filtered fuel, polish a
single tank or move fuel to the windward tank for trim. Whenever fuel
moves it gets filtered.

LaBomba182 November 26th 03 03:29 PM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

Subject: Fuel transfer/polishing pump
From: Glenn Ashmore

Glenn, are you getting any of our calls and Emails?

Capt. Bill

LaBomba182 November 26th 03 03:29 PM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

From: Glenn Ashmore

LaBomba182 November 26th 03 03:49 PM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

From: "Doug Dotson"

See below.

From: "Doug Dotson"

I am designing a fuel polishing and transfer system. My thought
is to use valves to route fuel from any tank to any tank. No
problem with that part. I want to be able to just transfer fuel
or switch in a filter to polish the fuel while transferring. Since
I can select the same tank for source and destination, I can
polish fuel in place as well. The problem comes with the selection
of a pump. I was looking at a Groco or Jabsco pump which seems
good for transfer purposes, but way exceeds the flowrate of the
filter when polishing. A Walbro fuel pump (which I have as a priming
pump now) seems like a good fit for polishing (33 GPH) but will be slow
when just transferring fuel. What happens when a 5.5 GPM pump
(Jabsco) is pushing fuel through a filter rated at 60 GPH (RACOR 500)?

Why not just ask Racor?
http://www.parker.com/ead/cm1.asp?cmid=392

It's not a filter question.

Sure it is. It's all interrelated.

And I believe Racors are designed to be drawn through not pushed into.
Again, ask Racor.

From experts I know, pushing fuel through a filter is more efficient.

Yes, but with what type of filter system?
If the filter system is not designed to be "pushed through" you may have a
problem. It may effect the coalescing action.
That's why I said "ask Racor".
Or are they to "experts" you are speaking of?

And fuel "polishing" is a joke IMHO.

And you would be wrong.

Not based on the fact that most people seem to only run their system (if they
have one) or have a company "polish" their fuel at the dock.

Unless the fuel in the tank/s is well stirred up all you are doing is

filtering
what is already clean, settled out fuel.

Well, in an ideal world. Perhaps drawing the fuel into to polishing system
lower
in the tank than that feeding the engine.

You're still just drawing fuel out of one baffeled area of the tank. Unless you
can get all the fuel in the tank stired up really well you are not doing a very
good job of "polishing" it.

Capt. Bill

LaBomba182 November 26th 03 03:49 PM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

From: "Doug Dotson"

LaBomba182 November 26th 03 04:00 PM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

From: "Doug Dotson"

One poster mentioned that Raycor type filters
don;t make good polishing filters because they are surface filters and
clog up quickly.

Well, they would be wrong.
Like Glenn said, you need to use the right size filter for the job.

The paper towel and toilet paper types are better
for polishing.

Yeah no doubt. Things designed to wipe your kitchen counter and wipe your ass
will beat a Racor for filtering fuel everytime.

Next you'll be adding an Algea-X into the mix. :-)

Capt. Bill

LaBomba182 November 26th 03 04:00 PM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

LaBomba182 November 26th 03 04:44 PM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

From: (LaBomba182)
Date: 11/26/03 10:29 AM Eastern

From: Glenn Ashmore

Glenn, are you getting any of our calls and Emails?

Got it. Call when you are "free". :-)

Capt. Bill

LaBomba182 November 26th 03 04:44 PM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

From: (LaBomba182)
Date: 11/26/03 10:29 AM Eastern

From: Glenn Ashmore

Doug Dotson November 26th 03 05:29 PM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

I guess it depend upon how the plumbing is designed whether or not
a reversing pump is necessary. My design is totally separate from the
supply/return system used by the engine and genset.

How do you protect against overfilling a tank?

Glenn Ashmore November 26th 03 08:27 PM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

The vent on the day tank goes to the return port of the main tanks to
handle the overflow. Return from the engine goes to the day tank so if
the transfer pump craps out running the engine off of one of the mains
will gradually refill the day tank.

Doug Dotson November 26th 03 09:33 PM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

Can you transfer fuel between the mains? If so, how do you prevent
overflow there?

Doug Dotson wrote:

[...]

I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or

lack

LaBomba182 November 26th 03 09:35 PM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

From: "Doug Dotson"

Unfortunately that fuel clogs up the filters. That is the entire problem.
Having clean fuel in the engine fuel system avoids the problem.

Just go up a size or two in your filters. The surface area difference between a
500 Racor and a 900 Racor is tremendous.
Many times on a boat with filter clogging problems, I have just installed a
larger filter system and the time between changes has gone back to normal with
no more clogging in heavy seas problems.

Capt. Bill

LaBomba182 November 26th 03 09:35 PM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

Doug Dotson November 26th 03 10:13 PM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

Makes sense, but there is quite alot of evidence out there that
a polishing system is a good thing to have. I can't really
increase the size of my on-engine filter. I could increase the
size of the Raycor, but at the pore sizes I run (30 micron) in it make it
necessary to change the on-engine filter regularly as well.
Bigger Raycor won't fix the problem.

Doug

Lee Huddleston November 27th 03 04:48 AM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:49:20 -0500, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

[...]

I just finished building a fuel polishing system for my boat, using a
Walbro pump. I had an old Fram filter (using a Wix element) and
purchased a new Racor. With the system I can change filters while the
engine is running. I can also monitor the filters with a vacuum gage
so I know in advance when a filter is getting clogged. I wanted a
pump that would pull fuel through the system faster than the Walbro so
that I could do more filtering in a set period of time. But beginning
with advice from contributors to this newsgroup and then researching
on my own, I found that the filters would not filter properly if the
fuel were pulled through faster.

So, unless you are willing to purchase very large (and expensive)
filters or several filters in parallel (also expensive), you will need
a pump like the Walbro for fuel polishing and a separate pump for fuel
transfer, if you want to transfer quickly. Also note that the Walbro
is specified for continuous operation while some other fuel tolerant
pumps are not. You need continuous operation for polishing.

To solve the question of only polishing clean fuel while the crud
remained on the bottom of the tank, I have a sealable opening in the
top of the tank and enough room to put in a long stick to stir the
fuel. My 100 gallon tank does not seem to have baffles that would
render this method less effective.

I would have installed a Gulf Coast filter (paper towels) instead of
the old Fram, but I could not afford one. They are damned expensive.
I have no personal knowledge nor objective research results that back
up their claims of superior filtering. I just accepted the hype.

BTW I saw a Walbro pump for sale on E-Bay two days after I purchased
mine, and for half the price I paid. The seller seemed to have
several available.

Lee Huddleston
s/v Truelove

Evan Gatehouse November 27th 03 05:41 AM

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
I am designing a fuel polishing and transfer system. My thought

[snip]

polish fuel in place as well. The problem comes with the selection
of a pump. I was looking at a Groco or Jabsco pump which seems
good for transfer purposes, but way exceeds the flowrate of the
filter when polishing. A Walbro fuel pump (which I have as a priming
pump now) seems like a good fit for polishing (33 GPH) but will be slow
when just transferring fuel. What happens when a 5.5 GPM pump
(Jabsco) is pushing fuel through a filter rated at 60 GPH (RACOR 500)?

Probably nothing much will happen to the filter - as you increase the flow
through the filter, the resistance increases. The increased resistance
reduces the output of the pump (5.5 GPM is probably with no resistance). At
some point you'll reach an equilibrium condition where the increased
resistance of the filter meets the fuel pump's output curve.

You could talk to Racor (now owned by Parker I think) about exceeding the
rated flow rates and see if they have a contrary opinion. Perhaps the
filtering action is impeeded by the higher flow rate. You could also
install a gate valve in the system to throttle the pump output. You could
check the pump output by pumping into a temporary container and measuring
the output.

Whatever brand of pump you get, make sure it is rated for pumping fuel.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

Evan Gatehouse November 27th 03 05:54 AM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

Are you guys sure you really need all this stuff?

I fueled in some pretty suspicious places with questionable fuel in a lot of
third world countries. I used a Baja filter for all the fuel entering the 1
(one) and only fuel tank. It would usually pick up a few ounces of water
and a lot of crud in the first filter element.

The one and only time bad fuel stopped our engine was in the ICW after
picking up a load of very water logged fuel. Just anchored, changed the
filter, and emptied about 1 quart water from the filter bowl. Because I was
in the US, where bad fuel is seldom a problem, I didn't use the Baja
filter....I must have been that guy's only customer that year.

Just my experience after 3-1/2 years cruising.

jlp2550 November 27th 03 05:54 AM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

Well fellow asshole, I got a pair of circumnav's - what lake you
learning in.

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 05:39:34 -0600, "Keith"
wrote:

Ever think about running a polishing system while underway, or right after
you come back from a "rolly bouncy" trip? Opinions are just like assholes...
everybody's got one.

"jlp2550" wrote in message
.. .
This is so true it isn't funny - but these marina sailors don't know
that - so they invent these stupid designs - like the guy with 6 or 8
or 12 fuel tanks in a 50' boat - what total stupidity. Get a life - go
cruising - instead of being "wanna-be" naval architects.

LISTEN UP - all the **** sits on the bottom till the 1st rolly bouncy
storm - then it gets stirred into suspension - and sucked into the
filters and clogs them quickly.

BTW, throw away your epirbs and radios so you can't call someone out
into danger to rescue your stupid ass.

Charlie J November 27th 03 11:59 AM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

Doug-
RCI Fuel Purifiers have capacities from 1.5 to 400 gpm...they have no moving
parts and no element to change. The purification is done with baffle and
coalescer plates. These purifiers remove particulate down to less than 10
microns and 99.9% of water. Their website is: http://www.rcipurifier.com/

In all honesty, I am associated with this company (and with Gulf Coast
Filters) and I manufacture onboard fuel polishers.

--
Charlie Johnson
JTB Marine Service

Keith November 28th 03 12:25 AM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

....and didn't learn a thing. Survived by accident. Don't feel bad. It
happens.

"jlp2550" wrote in message
Stupid ****.

Keith November 28th 03 12:25 AM

"jlp2550" wrote in message
Stupid ****.

Roy G. Biv November 28th 03 11:56 AM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

"Doug Dotson" wrote in message ...
Makes sense, but there is quite alot of evidence out there that
a polishing system is a good thing to have. I can't really
increase the size of my on-engine filter. I could increase the
size of the Raycor, but at the pore sizes I run (30 micron) in it make it
necessary to change the on-engine filter regularly as well.
Bigger Raycor won't fix the problem.

Doug

"LaBomba182" wrote in message

Just go up a size or two in your filters. The surface area difference

between a
500 Racor and a 900 Racor is tremendous.

Actually the larger surface area of the element of the 900 or 1000
might help;

My theory was independent polisher with small pore size (Racor) but
RichH (who has not contributed to this thread) on polishing explained
it this way:

Complete Thread (26 articles)
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.boats.cruising
Date: 2003-09-17 07:33:31 PST

RichH wrote:
If your polishing system is 'off line' ... not a part of the normal
fuel
distribution and return loop the following will exponentially improve
the retention ability and 'speed of recovery' if you happen to get a
load a cruddy fuel or the sea state breaks a slug of particale loose
from the tank walls, etc.:

Dont use 2uM filters in the loop! .... increase the nominal retention
rating to 10 or 15uM and the resultant final particle distribution *in
the tank* will be essentially zero and accomplish this level FASTER.
here's why:
Fibrous media filters have retention capability at essentially ALL
particle size levels. A 15uM fuel filter will remove approx 85 to 95%
of
of 15uM particles in a one single pass of the fluid through it, at
10uM
50%, at 5uM perhaps 30%, at 2uM maybe 15%. A 15uM filter will have
approx 4 to 5 times the flow rate capacity (gallons per minute per
psid)
of a 2uM filter ... meaning that the 15uM filter will cause less work
for the pump and overall flow will be FASTER. A 2uM filter will
deposit
2uM particles primarily on the surface of the media, a larger
retention
media will capture 2uM particles down deep in the media (for *more*
capacity of small particles) Since a polishing system is a closed
recirculation system you are constantly filtering the same fluid over
and over and over, each time the fluid passes through the filter it
leaves a few percent of smaller particles behind in the filter, since
larger retention filter has better flow characteristics the pump will
push through MORE fluid per minute and have less amperage draw. When
using a 2uM filter, the fluid returned during recirculation to the
tank
is again mixed with particle/debris laden fluid. A larger retention
filter will do the same job, to the same level of particles in the
tank
..... and do it faster because the larger retention filter has less
resistance to flow. With less resistance to flow a larger retention
filter will have less probability of extruding and releasing
SOFT/DEFORMABLE particles at it approaches differential pressures that
would 'clog' a filter.
Another benefit - If for example you have a crud contamination hanging
on the walls of the tank and the sea state causes the attached
particles/crud to break free and enter the fluid, the larger retention
filter (because of its less resistance to flow) will recover the tank
back to an acceptable particle distribution (particle recovery)
FASTER
than a smaller retention filter. Same story when taking onboard a load
of fuel that is contaminated.

Recirculation filtration is exponentially faster, more efficient, and
vastly more cost effective than single pass filtration. Use the
largest
filter retention possible (~10-20uM) to effect the fastest tank
turn-over... the tank will after a few turn-overs be to the same level
of residence particles. For the mathematicians, what is happening is
an
exponential decay of resident particles *in the tank*; since the
larger
retention filter (even with less efficiency with respect to the
'target
retention') is Faster because the exponential decay 'in the tank' is
faster. If you have time to burn, take ANY filter (includes compressed
pubic hair), recirculate for looooong times and you will have
essentially ZERO particles in the tank. Typically in industry a
recirc.
filter is sized about 5 to 10 times the size of the target residual
retention.

hope this helps. (RichH)

---

Captkeywest wrote:

no bs at all...

my permanently installed independent polishing system draws about 5
gallons (100 gallon tank) every 6.5 minutes through a racor 1000 with
2 micron (can switch to racor 900 when 1000's vacuum increases)

the engine has a racor 500 with 10 micron , then racor 500 with 2
micron, then the perkins 4-108 engine mounted filter.
as rich points out the 1000 elements aren't much more expensive than
the 500 elements, don't let the 500/1000 designations throw you, the
surface area of the 1000 is MUCH greater than twice the surface area
of the 500......

source:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...4%40NOSPAM.net

DSK November 28th 03 12:14 PM

LaBomba182 wrote:
Well, they would be wrong.
Like Glenn said, you need to use the right size filter for the job.

If the filter is clogging up, that's because it is doing it's job.

The paper towel and toilet paper types are better
for polishing.

Yeah no doubt. Things designed to wipe your kitchen counter and wipe your ass
will beat a Racor for filtering fuel everytime.

Next you'll be adding an Algea-X into the mix. :-)

Now now, be polite. FWIW I agree about paper towel filters. They can't possibly
do as good a job as a filter element, although maybe they absorb water better.
Why do people want to save $1.50 on something that can ruin a $10K engine?

BTW I saw an ad for a paper towel lube oil filter system that proclaimed how it
was used by the USCG and the military... hate to say it but any military
installation has to be MILSPEC and anybody who modifies gov't power plants
without all proper authorization is likely going to end up in Leavenworth, or at
very least washing the world's largest pile of dirty dishes. Why are people so
gullible?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Doug Dotson November 28th 03 04:03 PM

Fuel transfer/polishing pump

This helps alot, thanks! LaBomba suggested that just amking
the primary filter bigger would solve the problem. I was thinking
that this might be a easier solution, but it appears that a separate
polishing system does have advantages over just using a filter
that does not clog up so quickly. My intended strategy is to oly
fill one tank at a time, set the newly filled tank to polishing while
running the engine off of the other tank. Then when the engine
tank gets low, switch the engine to the polished tank, then
fill and polish the other tank. That way I always have clean
fuel ready and waiting (and plenty of it) and I don;t have to rush
to fill again.

I'm still in a quandry about Raycor style filters vs the paper towel
roll type. Perhaps RichH will chime in on this one since he is an
expert on filtration systems. Does Safeway carry 15 uM paper towels?

Doug
s/v Callista

om...

Newsgroups: rec.boats.cruising