Default Radar vs GPS/Sounder

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:42:50 -0500, "Jeff Morris"
wrote:

This is a point I've wondered about: it seems that vessels with active radar
appear on my radar with a large arc centered on the vessel's blip. I've assumed
this is an interaction between their radar and mine. Does this also mean that
my radar also enhances my picture on their screen?

My understanding is that this is reliant on the radar band in which
they are operating their active radar, and/or whether they have a
receiver that goes ping (or whatever) when glanced by "yachtie" radar.

R.

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:41:14 GMT, "Gordon Wedman"
wrote:
I've also been advised to use a
2" diameter pole to reduce vibration and not to go too high for the same
reason.

Just go higher than six feet or so or the button on your cap gets
overly warm G.

Of course, cooking is a breeze when you hold a weenie on a stick in
front of the radome G

R.

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 19:17:04 GMT, Me wrote:

Again bull****! Would be nice if you knew anything about what your
talking about.

That's why, my little trollsmeg, I said "my understanding". Perhaps
you would enjoy taking the lid off that planet-sized intellect to
share your god-like insights with this NG?

Or just shut the **** up.

R.

Me

In article ,
wrote:

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 19:17:04 GMT, Me wrote:

Again bull****! Would be nice if you knew anything about what your
talking about.

That's why, my little trollsmeg, I said "my understanding". Perhaps
you would enjoy taking the lid off that planet-sized intellect to
share your god-like insights with this NG?

Or just shut the **** up.

R.

There isn't a "Commercial Radar" marketed in the USA that has anywhere
near enough Beam Energy Density to cook even your eyeballs, let alone
any other body parts of any mammal, while in operation, in a standard
installation. One is very much more likely to be hurt by the antenna
hitting them in the head, as it rotates than by the RF coming out of
the antenna. This has been well documented over the last 30 years, and
as the power of these radars has dropped due to the better receiver
technology, it is more true now than 30 years ago.

Next, The dashed arc's one sees displayed on radar screens are other
radars that have transmitting frequencies CLOSE to the receive frequency
of your radar. There is a wide range of frequencies that Xband radars
can and do use and the reciver bandwidth is much narrower than the
transmitter frequency range by 20X or so. Transmit frequencies are
determined by the physical properties of the Magnitron of each radar and
are fixed at the MFG, but do move around due to temp, age, ect. This
means that some show up on your screen and some don't. There are three
different bands that Maritime Radars use Sband, Xband, and KaBand. Of
the three Xband is by far the most cxommon. (Orders of Magnitude more)
Sband is only found on VERY BIG VESSELS, and Kaband is used mainly for
Wx search and is extremly rare aboard any vessels except Research
Vessels. None of the radars will cause interference except in their own
Band Class. The Arc's always show from the center of your display, and
don't have any range or direction information associated with them,
other than they TEND to not be there when you antenna isn't pointed
toward the other radar. Targets that have Dashes the trail the target
on your display are a differet thing altogether. They are Active Radar
Transponders, (Racon's) and are used as Position Identification devices.
These are put on significant Navigation Points and are also used for SAR
Activites and ARE required on Lifeboats of SOLAS Required Ships. Almost
all of these a Xband devices. I have seen one or two Sband
installations, but never any Kaband.

Now that your understanding has been expanded, ...... well ok...we'll
just let it go at that........

me

Aftermarket Radar Arch or Mounting kgruskin General 2 June 13th 04 03:29 AM
Raytheon radar demo Evan Gatehouse Boat Building 4 May 9th 04 07:45 PM
Radar reflector Parallax Cruising 4 October 16th 03 04:10 AM
Vessel Detectors - Radar Cross section Norma Jean Little Cruising 8 August 29th 03 11:35 PM
Vessel detectors - radar visibility of your own vessel john s. Cruising 16 August 27th 03 12:53 AM