Me

Default Radar vs GPS/Sounder

In article ,
wrote:

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 19:17:04 GMT, Me wrote:

Again bull****! Would be nice if you knew anything about what your
talking about.

That's why, my little trollsmeg, I said "my understanding". Perhaps
you would enjoy taking the lid off that planet-sized intellect to
share your god-like insights with this NG?

Or just shut the **** up.

R.

There isn't a "Commercial Radar" marketed in the USA that has anywhere
near enough Beam Energy Density to cook even your eyeballs, let alone
any other body parts of any mammal, while in operation, in a standard
installation. One is very much more likely to be hurt by the antenna
hitting them in the head, as it rotates than by the RF coming out of
the antenna. This has been well documented over the last 30 years, and
as the power of these radars has dropped due to the better receiver
technology, it is more true now than 30 years ago.

Next, The dashed arc's one sees displayed on radar screens are other
radars that have transmitting frequencies CLOSE to the receive frequency
of your radar. There is a wide range of frequencies that Xband radars
can and do use and the reciver bandwidth is much narrower than the
transmitter frequency range by 20X or so. Transmit frequencies are
determined by the physical properties of the Magnitron of each radar and
are fixed at the MFG, but do move around due to temp, age, ect. This
means that some show up on your screen and some don't. There are three
different bands that Maritime Radars use Sband, Xband, and KaBand. Of
the three Xband is by far the most cxommon. (Orders of Magnitude more)
Sband is only found on VERY BIG VESSELS, and Kaband is used mainly for
Wx search and is extremly rare aboard any vessels except Research
Vessels. None of the radars will cause interference except in their own
Band Class. The Arc's always show from the center of your display, and
don't have any range or direction information associated with them,
other than they TEND to not be there when you antenna isn't pointed
toward the other radar. Targets that have Dashes the trail the target
on your display are a differet thing altogether. They are Active Radar
Transponders, (Racon's) and are used as Position Identification devices.
These are put on significant Navigation Points and are also used for SAR
Activites and ARE required on Lifeboats of SOLAS Required Ships. Almost
all of these a Xband devices. I have seen one or two Sband
installations, but never any Kaband.

Now that your understanding has been expanded, ...... well ok...we'll
just let it go at that........

me
Jeff Morris

An interesting explanation, but this isn't the image I see. They appear from
medium sized vessels (tugs, CG, etc). They are roughly a 90 degree arc of a
circle centered on my vessel, and intersecting the target. Thus, the radius
indicates range, and the position of the arc is the approximate direction.
Although I always assumed it was something "active" on the target, I'm beginning
to think it might be entirely my radar. The fact that the arc is on both sides
of the target makes me think that my transmitter is radiating small side lobes
(if that's the correct term) that precede and follow the main beam. If the
target is a large reflector, and my gain is high, that might show as the arc.

-jeff

"Me" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Courtney Thomas

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

Or, to put it differently, what ELSE is radar good for? Can I use it to
determine if a freighter 10 miles away is on a collision course with me? Do
others normally run with radar on, even if it's clear? Why?

That is actually a different question, because a radar has value for
measurement even when you can see.

Example 1: If you need to anchor in a confined space, and the
obstructions all show on the radar, you can maximize your scope by
finding the center of a range circle that just kisses the three
nearest obstructions.

2) Your chart shows you the safe distance from a headland. You put a
circle of that radius on the screen. and steer so it doesn't
intersect.

3) When you see a ship, you can put a bearing line on it and a range
circle. If the ship comes inside the circle without moving off the
bearing line you need to take action.

In general, you will find that an accurate plan view of the
surroundings is a valuable supplement to eyeballs.

Marcus AAkesson

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 19:18:13 GMT, Me wrote:

[...]

Good summary, thanks. One might just add that the lifeboat equipment
is called SARTs , Search And Rescue Transponder. Echoes 9 dots if I
remember correctly. Luckily never seen one.

/Marcus

--
Marcus AAkesson
Gothenburg Callsigns: SM6XFN & SB4779

otnmbrd

I'm going to assume you start your radar and adjust it at either 3 or
6 mile range, and when you see these arced targets, they are generally
larger, at relatively close range, or when you are on a lower range.
If so, first step, try increasing sea and/or rain clutter. If this
doesn't get rid of them, retune the set for lower ranges (that you may
be on) and reduce gain and/or intensity .... slightly.
As always, try to stay on the higher ranges ... Id only use 0.75 down,
for docking or running inside a marina (personal experience/choice), for
example, Oak Bluffs, Hyannis inner harbor, Boston Harbor marina.

otn

Jeff Morris wrote:
An interesting explanation, but this isn't the image I see. They appear from
medium sized vessels (tugs, CG, etc). They are roughly a 90 degree arc of a
circle centered on my vessel, and intersecting the target. Thus, the radius
indicates range, and the position of the arc is the approximate direction.
Although I always assumed it was something "active" on the target, I'm beginning
to think it might be entirely my radar. The fact that the arc is on both sides
of the target makes me think that my transmitter is radiating small side lobes
(if that's the correct term) that precede and follow the main beam. If the
target is a large reflector, and my gain is high, that might show as the arc.

-jeff

Brian Whatcott

In this ill-tempered thread, Jeff's proposal is at least plausible.
Dishes have significant side lobes peaking nearer 90 degrees to the
side though.... Flat plate antennas do much better with smaller
side-lobes. Regular dishes sometimes get edges turned backwards to cut
the side lobes.

Brian W

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 16:59:39 -0500, "Jeff Morris"
wrote:

An interesting explanation, but this isn't the image I see. They appear from
medium sized vessels (tugs, CG, etc). They are roughly a 90 degree arc of a
circle centered on my vessel, and intersecting the target. Thus, the radius
indicates range, and the position of the arc is the approximate direction.
Although I always assumed it was something "active" on the target, I'm beginning
to think it might be entirely my radar. The fact that the arc is on both sides
of the target makes me think that my transmitter is radiating small side lobes
(if that's the correct term) that precede and follow the main beam. If the
target is a large reflector, and my gain is high, that might show as the arc.

-jeff

"Me" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Aftermarket Radar Arch or Mounting kgruskin General 2 June 13th 04 03:29 AM
Raytheon radar demo Evan Gatehouse Boat Building 4 May 9th 04 07:45 PM
Radar reflector Parallax Cruising 4 October 16th 03 04:10 AM
Vessel Detectors - Radar Cross section Norma Jean Little Cruising 8 August 29th 03 11:35 PM
Vessel detectors - radar visibility of your own vessel john s. Cruising 16 August 27th 03 12:53 AM