Default Radar vs GPS/Sounder

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:42:50 -0500, "Jeff Morris"
wrote:

This is a point I've wondered about: it seems that vessels with active radar
appear on my radar with a large arc centered on the vessel's blip. I've assumed
this is an interaction between their radar and mine. Does this also mean that
my radar also enhances my picture on their screen?

My understanding is that this is reliant on the radar band in which
they are operating their active radar, and/or whether they have a
receiver that goes ping (or whatever) when glanced by "yachtie" radar.

R.