Ante Topic Mimara

Default Seeking advice and suggestions

Greetings Ladies, Gentlemen, Netizens:

I am soon to enter the market to purchase a previously-owned
boat. It will be used to travel up and down a river that feeds
into the ocean on the east coast of the US. What I am looking
for, are some recommendations and suggestions from the more
knowledgeable users of this newsgroup.

Are there many makes and models of boats that are under 36 feet
in length that have aft-cabins? I am aware of a 29' boat that
was recently up for auction on eBay which had an aft berth, but
I do not know who the manufacturer was, nor do I know the model.
This boat auctioned for about $7,500.00 or so, and that is at
the lower end of my price range. I am hoping to find one that
does not need much in the way of major mechanical or structural
work, at a maximum price of $11,000.00 or close to it.

I would like to find a boat that is between 25 and 40 feet in
length, that has an aft cabin layout. If the kind persons in
this group could make suggestions and recommendations for such
a craft, I would appreciate it.

I thank you.

---
-
A. Topic Mimara
Unique in the World! You will appreciate!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Paul

Based on your question it sounds like you should do some research on boats
around that size range. I don't know if I would be comfortable buying
anything in that size range for 11k.

The following link is to boats that are for sale. Don't worry if the boats
aren't in your area, check out the pictures and the specs and familiarize
yourself with what's available. If the boats are in your area start to look
at the prices, if they're not in your area don't bother with the prices
(unless you want to add shipping).

http://www.yachtcouncil.com/yachts_b...earch_form.asp

There is also a wealth of information for new (and experienced) boat buyers
on the site in the following link. This guy is a rather hardcore boater and
is fond of serious offshore and bluewater designs so you have to take that
into account if you're looking for a boat slightly less capable. Many of his
articles talk about what happens when people try to get into boating on the
cheap.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/

Boating is very expensive, I have a 30 foot boat and it costs me about
CAN$7,000/year (US$5,000?) as long as nothing goes wrong.

If you make a mistake buying a boat you might end up buying something
worthless so get a structural survey from an accredited marine surveyor and
a full mechanical inspection from a proper mechanic before signing any
agreements. All in this will probably cost about a grand. Best money you
will ever spend on your boat.

Going into sal****er means you'll want to have yourself rigged slightly
differently such as a closed cooling system, possibly a y-valve ... I'm a
freshwater boater so maybe some of the salties can chime in here.

You should also contact your local power squadron and sign up for a USCG
safe boating course. It sounds like you will be dealing with tidal inlets
and passing from sal****er to freshwater, you need to learn about the
dangers inherent in that.

A boat in the size range you're talking about can be huge fun, I think it's
the best thing in the world. But it's serious business in every aspect from
money to safety and everything in between. Your life will literally depend
on this craft and your skill. You have to educate yourself.

Sorry my response is so long, I didn't have time to make it shorter.

"Ante Topic Mimara" ] wrote in message
[...]

Ante Topic Mimara

Paul wrote:

Based on your question it sounds like you should do some research
on boats around that size range.

Yes! This is exactly what I wish to do. Do you have any suggestions
how I should begin? A search of the internet for "boats, 30 feet"
does not help much...

I don't know if I would be comfortable buying anything in that
size range for 11k.

If I had thirty or forty of thousands of dollars to buy a boat,
it would be much easier and better, no? I agree with you, but must
start where I can start.

The following link is to boats that are for sale. Don't worry
if the boats aren't in your area, check out the pictures and the
specs and familiarize yourself with what's available. If the
boats are in your area start to look at the prices, if they're
not in your area don't bother with the prices
(unless you want to add shipping).

Ha! "shipping"! Is that not what I will be eventually doing?
I like your sense of humor!

http://www.yachtcouncil.com/yachts_b...earch_form.asp

I shall check out this link, and learn something, hopefully!

There is also a wealth of information for new (and experienced)
boat buyers on the site in the following link. This guy is a
rather hardcore boater and is fond of serious offshore and
bluewater designs so you have to take that into account if
you're looking for a boat slightly less capable. Many of his
articles talk about what happens when people try to get into
boating on the cheap.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/

You say this "on the cheap" as if it were a bad thing. If I
do not have the many big dollars needed to buy such a boat,
then I should not become a boater, is this what you suggest?

I thought that this is a message group to encourage boating,
and to welcome new boaters into the society.

Boating is very expensive, I have a 30 foot boat and it
costs me about CAN$7,000/year (US$5,000?) as long as nothing
goes wrong.

That is not unreasonable expense to maintain a boat such as
that. My local marina has a $140 per month charge for slip
uses, up to 31 feet of boat, and + $4 more for every foot over
that 31 feet per month. Fuel, provisions, safety courses, and
the power squadron things I shall also do would add to such,
but will likely prevent me from being not safe. I also would
have insurance to the boat, which would likely cost money, but
it is the prudent thing to do, no?

If you make a mistake buying a boat you might end up buying
something worthless so get a structural survey from an accredited
marine surveyor and a full mechanical inspection from a proper
mechanic before signing any agreements. All in this will probably
cost about a grand. Best money you will ever spend on your boat.

Good advice this is! I shall remember this. Thank you.

Going into sal****er means you'll want to have yourself rigged
slightly differently such as a closed cooling system, possibly
a y-valve ... I'm a freshwater boater so maybe some of the salties
can chime in here.

I would like to know these differences, as I forsee this boat as
a way to go up and down the eastern coast, and still keep the boat
in the river near my home. I may even live on it during the summer
months, if I like. Would also make a nice little love nest for my
wife and I to enjoy.

You should also contact your local power squadron and sign up
for a USCG safe boating course. It sounds like you will be dealing
with tidal inlets and passing from sal****er to freshwater, you
need to learn about the dangers inherent in that.

I know that I do not know all I need to know, and that I will not
ever learn all there is to know. But I do know I must make all
effort to learn as much as I should, to be safe and fun.

A boat in the size range you're talking about can be huge
fun, I think it's the best thing in the world. But it's serious
business in every aspect from money to safety and everything in
between. Your life will literally depend on this craft and your
skill. You have to educate yourself.

Yes, I must do this to educate me. I appreciate all of your very
excellent advisement, and I appreciate your post. It would be
very nice if others would share their experiences so that I could
make a learning experience out of it, without committing the very
same mistakes. Is that not what this message group is for?

Sorry my response is so long, I didn't have time to make it
shorter.

I am also sorry I did not have time to make my reply to your
response shorter. I shall try to do better.

Thank you!

---
-
Topic-Mimara
Unique in the World!
---

-=-
This message was posted via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Jere Lull

Ante Topic Mimara wrote:

[...]

I don't believe you'll easily find an aft cabin boat in that price range
that is sailaway or even near. At $10k, you're looking for an old boat
under about 32' (like our Xan, below). Few aft "cabins" were made in
that size range then. Most marketed as cabins were hardly expanded
quarterberths. The newer boats are considerably more expensive, but not
much better.

We found one center cockpit ketch with a cramped aft cabin -- and no
real "V" or cabin for other than leprechhans (sp?). Thus, it had only
one real berth, and that was for two singles because the only walkway
was between the berths. Cost was in the right range, but we'd have had
to spend about that much more before we hit the water, assuming we'd
want to sleep separately or make .

Personally, I find most boats with aft cabins uncomfortable. Ventilation
and headspace are usually poor.

I don't know why you want the aft cabin. Most usually want it to give
privacy between two couples or the parents and kids. That can be
satisfied if the head is between the main cabin and V and has two doors.
That opens your search to quite a few more boats.

BTW, if you're looking for powerboats, we "run" with a number of them,
and they're often worse than sailboats in that price/size range.

--
Jere Lull

Paul

I should mention that I assumed you were talking about a power boat, I don't
know much about sailboats.

Ha! "shipping"! Is that not what I will be eventually doing?
I like your sense of humor!

Hehe, that's funny. But I was actually talking about having it shipped by
truck or paying a pilot to bring it up for you.

You say this "on the cheap" as if it were a bad thing. If I
do not have the many big dollars needed to buy such a boat,
then I should not become a boater, is this what you suggest?

I'm just saying make sure you know what you're buying. There is a good
reason why some boats are cheaper than others. You might be okay with those
reasons, just make sure you know what they are.

I thought that this is a message group to encourage boating,
and to welcome new boaters into the society.

It is that, and I do wish to encourage you. But nothing would be more
discouraging than getting into it the wrong way and hating it.

I also would
have insurance to the boat, which would likely cost money, but
it is the prudent thing to do, no?

Definitely get insurance.

I know that I do not know all I need to know, and that I will not
ever learn all there is to know. But I do know I must make all
effort to learn as much as I should, to be safe and fun.

Good. It's a lot of fun and if you enjoy learning you will really enjoy it.
It's the most fun thing I have ever done in my life, I get the feeling you
will find it that way too.

And yes, the wife thinks it's pretty romantic too.