Jere Lull

Default Seeking advice and suggestions

Ante Topic Mimara wrote:

I am soon to enter the market to purchase a previously-owned
boat. It will be used to travel up and down a river that feeds
into the ocean on the east coast of the US. What I am looking
for, are some recommendations and suggestions from the more
knowledgeable users of this newsgroup.

Are there many makes and models of boats that are under 36 feet
in length that have aft-cabins? I am aware of a 29' boat that
was recently up for auction on eBay which had an aft berth, but
I do not know who the manufacturer was, nor do I know the model.
This boat auctioned for about $7,500.00 or so, and that is at
the lower end of my price range. I am hoping to find one that
does not need much in the way of major mechanical or structural
work, at a maximum price of $11,000.00 or close to it.

I would like to find a boat that is between 25 and 40 feet in
length, that has an aft cabin layout. If the kind persons in
this group could make suggestions and recommendations for such
a craft, I would appreciate it.

I don't believe you'll easily find an aft cabin boat in that price range
that is sailaway or even near. At $10k, you're looking for an old boat
under about 32' (like our Xan, below). Few aft "cabins" were made in
that size range then. Most marketed as cabins were hardly expanded
quarterberths. The newer boats are considerably more expensive, but not
much better.

We found one center cockpit ketch with a cramped aft cabin -- and no
real "V" or cabin for other than leprechhans (sp?). Thus, it had only
one real berth, and that was for two singles because the only walkway
was between the berths. Cost was in the right range, but we'd have had
to spend about that much more before we hit the water, assuming we'd
want to sleep separately or make .

Personally, I find most boats with aft cabins uncomfortable. Ventilation
and headspace are usually poor.

I don't know why you want the aft cabin. Most usually want it to give
privacy between two couples or the parents and kids. That can be
satisfied if the head is between the main cabin and V and has two doors.
That opens your search to quite a few more boats.

BTW, if you're looking for powerboats, we "run" with a number of them,
and they're often worse than sailboats in that price/size range.

--
Jere Lull