Butch Ammon

Default Need a new truck (advice, please?)

Hello there...

Well, the fateful day is fast approaching. You all know I have that old beatup
'87 Ford Ranger 4x4 (hey it's old, dinged, scratched - but it has
character!)...

My old Ranger has 139,000 miles, automatic tranny is messing up, it's got a
hole in the muffler, the A/C unit hasn't worked in 6-7 years, and just now it
developed a hairline stress fracture in the right side front brake rotor. I
refuse to pay $300+ bucks to get new brake rotors - because it's a 4x4 and the
labor is a killer.

Anyway, I desperately need a new pickup truck, and one with power to tow my
boat with. I absolutely refuse to get a new truck. I mean, I won't even look
at a 2003 Chevy, Ford, Dodge at around $35,000 only to drive it off the dealer
lot and have it worth $28,000 or thereabouts.

My wife and I have a 99 GMC Jimmy 4x4 which is really nice, but doesn't have a
trailer hitch for the boat. We also bought our daughters a 98 Chevy Cavalier
for them to share and run around town, go to work, and drive it to school in
September, etc... We just have to get something for ME!

I test drove a base model 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 pickup the other day, 5
speed standard, very nice and has a class III hitch on the back. $11,950 is
the price. I like it a lot, except that it is a 5 speed manual transmission.

What is a very, very, reliable, pickup truck that has cajones to pull a 2100
boat? Thanks for all the help, suggestions, opinions, etc...

Butch Ammon
Doug Kanter

Toyota. I was just at my dealer's yesterday and mentioned to the salesperson
I dealt with that a friend was looking for a used Toyota pickup. She said
there were quite a few program vehicles around, from the leasing madness of
the past couple of years. Check your local Toyota dealer. Tacomas have a
pretty beefy V6, and Tundras have a V8.

As a side benefit, Toyota uses actual instruments to design and measure
engine manufacturing tolerances, instead of plastic kindergarten rulers like
the American manufacturers. 5, 8, 10 yrs down the line, your motor won't be
choking the drivers behind you, or YOU, as you work with your trailer
downwind from the truck.
-Doug

"Butch Ammon" wrote in message
[...]

Ignoramus30093

In article , Butch Ammon wrote:
Hello there...

Well, the fateful day is fast approaching. You all know I have that old beatup
'87 Ford Ranger 4x4 (hey it's old, dinged, scratched - but it has
character!)...

My old Ranger has 139,000 miles, automatic tranny is messing up,
it's got a hole in the muffler, the A/C unit hasn't worked in 6-7

You know, I myself never use the A/C.

years, and just now it developed a hairline stress fracture in the
right side front brake rotor. I refuse to pay $300+ bucks to get
new brake rotors - because it's a 4x4 and the labor is a killer.

To get new brake rotors should cost you about $60. You can replace
them yourself in less than an hour.

I replaced brake pads and took rotors for turning ($10 apiece) and
then put them back, took me a little more than an hour of work, but it
was about -5degrees F in the garage. In summer it should be easier.

Anyway, I desperately need a new pickup truck, and one with power to
tow my boat with. I absolutely refuse to get a new truck. I mean,
I won't even look at a 2003 Chevy, Ford, Dodge at around $35,000
only to drive it off the dealer lot and have it worth $28,000 or
thereabouts.

My wife and I have a 99 GMC Jimmy 4x4 which is really nice, but
doesn't have a trailer hitch for the boat.

easy to install at any dealer... not expensive also...

I have a dodge ram truck and I plan to drive it until it dies more or
less...

Joe

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Toyota. I was just at my dealer's yesterday and mentioned to the

salesperson
I dealt with that a friend was looking for a used Toyota pickup. She said
there were quite a few program vehicles around, from the leasing madness

of
the past couple of years. Check your local Toyota dealer. Tacomas have a
pretty beefy V6, and Tundras have a V8.

As a side benefit, Toyota uses actual instruments to design and measure
engine manufacturing tolerances, instead of plastic kindergarten rulers

like
the American manufacturers. 5, 8, 10 yrs down the line, your motor won't

be
choking the drivers behind you, or YOU, as you work with your trailer
downwind from the truck.
-Doug

Hey! We actually agree on something other than guns!

Nothing like a Toyota.

GAZ

My brother in law uses his 95 dodge diesel to deliver travel trailers. It
now has 800,000 miles on it. He didn't pull the head until 614,000 miles.
Find a good used Dodge diesel. I've got 121,000 on my 98 with no major
problems.
Gordon
"Ignoramus30093" wrote in message
a.com...
In article , Butch Ammon

wrote:
[...]

JohnH

On 17 Jul 2003 15:43:00 GMT, 123 (Butch Ammon) wrote:

[...]

I have a 1500 with a 5 speed and love it! It is a 2wd but with the clutch I can
go where 4wd automatics fear to tread. First gear is a 'granny' gear and would
probably pull the Titanic up a boat ramp. The only problem I've had is rear
wheel traction on a ramp when I first got the boat. Turns out the boat wasn't
matched to the trailer properly. After getting the tongue weight where it should
be, I've had no problems.

Good luck!

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
Ignoramus30093

In article , GAZ wrote:
My brother in law uses his 95 dodge diesel to deliver travel trailers. It
now has 800,000 miles on it. He didn't pull the head until 614,000 miles.
Find a good used Dodge diesel. I've got 121,000 on my 98

What kind of tranny does he have? Is it a 2500 or 3500?

wrote:
[...]

Ignoramus30093

In article , JohnH wrote:
[...]

with a 4wd, I am sure I can pull a boat out of more (and worse) ramps
than your 2wd... Saw too many 2wd trucks spin their wheels
desperately, people sitting in the truck beds for traction, etc etc
etc.

Getting a 2wd for boat towing is a mistake.

Gregg H

"$11,950 is" Alot of money to replace a truck that only needs a
little work. I say "it's cheaper to keep her". first find a new shop if
you can't do the job yourself. (auto trannies are the only thing I can't
rebuild myself). take 1/4 of that money you want to give away and fix
the old one. (My opinion)
Ignoramus30093

In article , JohnH wrote:
On 17 Jul 2003 17:12:00 GMT, Ignoramus30093
wrote:

In article , JohnH wrote:
[...]

I'm sure you can! On one occasions I had a couple guys jump in the
back of my truck. That occasion was well worth the thousands I saved
on my two wheel drive purchase, and the savings on gas, maintenance,
etc. I have a much smoother ride than the 4WD model has. I'm not
putting your 4WD down. I'm sure it's a great truck. I've had mine
for 8 years now, and only once did I wish I had the 4WD model.

Wow. I need 4wd a lot. For example: our driveway has a little bit of
incline, not much but substantial.

I drive into our garage back first. On many winter days, the only way
I can drive up that way is with a 4wd engaged.

Or, when I push my boat into my driveway going backwards, I need to
drive on my lawn occasionally. In such nistances, I also engage 4wd or
the real wheels would tear the grass out.

Pulling boats is very easy with 4wd.

Once I decided to cross a grassy median on a split highway, and got
stuck in the mud. With 2wd, I would be in deep doodoo and would get a
ticket. With 4wd, I just drove out of it (barely).

I am not into "offroading", meaning going where I am not supposed to
go. But 4wd is necessary for me personally.