Butch Ammon

Default Need a new truck (advice, please?)

Hello there...

Well, the fateful day is fast approaching. You all know I have that old beatup
'87 Ford Ranger 4x4 (hey it's old, dinged, scratched - but it has
character!)...

My old Ranger has 139,000 miles, automatic tranny is messing up, it's got a
hole in the muffler, the A/C unit hasn't worked in 6-7 years, and just now it
developed a hairline stress fracture in the right side front brake rotor. I
refuse to pay $300+ bucks to get new brake rotors - because it's a 4x4 and the
labor is a killer.

Anyway, I desperately need a new pickup truck, and one with power to tow my
boat with. I absolutely refuse to get a new truck. I mean, I won't even look
at a 2003 Chevy, Ford, Dodge at around $35,000 only to drive it off the dealer
lot and have it worth $28,000 or thereabouts.

My wife and I have a 99 GMC Jimmy 4x4 which is really nice, but doesn't have a
trailer hitch for the boat. We also bought our daughters a 98 Chevy Cavalier
for them to share and run around town, go to work, and drive it to school in
September, etc... We just have to get something for ME!

I test drove a base model 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 pickup the other day, 5
speed standard, very nice and has a class III hitch on the back. $11,950 is
the price. I like it a lot, except that it is a 5 speed manual transmission.

What is a very, very, reliable, pickup truck that has cajones to pull a 2100
boat? Thanks for all the help, suggestions, opinions, etc...

Butch Ammon