Default Flying Pig Prevention Measures

" wrote in
oups.com:

Total BS. I trust Maryann with my life regularly. I've sailed with
many competent women and it is not uncommon to see cruising boats out
there run by partners where the woman is the better sailor. In the
local high school sailing league girls have proven time and again that
they are at least as good as the boys at the varsity level.

I agree....as long as the waves are small, the wind is light and the loads
aren't heavy....or, as in the sailing league, the boat is small.

At sea, in heavy weather, my 255 pound ass isn't big enough much of the
time. I can't imagine a woman trying to get the main down in a 40 knot
gale with rain pounding her and the deck boiling up around her. That's
just not right, women's lib or no women's lib. She'll never be as strong
as a man....sorry.

Thinking otherwise, though politically wonderful, is foolhardy and
dangerous.

Larry

Wilbur ,, you are once again absolutely right on. Women on a sailboat?

What a waste of good pussy.

No wonder we haven't dropped any nukes lately. What the heck is happening
to this country.

Sailing is a man's sport. Period. We men need our "time" away. Doing
men's things; farting, drinking excessively,
wearing panty hose, putting on lipstick, mooning other boats, .... just
being MEN.

At the end of a hard day at sea, we want nothing more than a cold drink, a
hot piece of ass, and some food.

That is where we need our women. At the yacht club picnic area. By the
time we arrive they have been drinking
wine for hours. Most are so drunk, they can not stand up straight. So, we
do what men have been doing since the first yacht club was started; we take
advantage of the situation, screw someone's girlfriend, or wife. Yes!
There is nothing more pleasureable than doing the wife of the bank president
or having the good fortune to have Becky, the dock girl, sucking your
pecker.

Dressed in our blue blazers, with white pants, a Harveys Bristol Cream in
one hand, and a good cigar in the other, we get to enjoy our time together
talking about the important matters such as Biff's education or Tyler's new
black girlfriend.

I would rather be run down by a tramp steamer than put up with the constant
whine of an unreliable crewmate.

On a long voyage, there just isn't anything more manly than sitting next to
John, your accountant, and realizing you have always had a crush on him.
The two of you under the stars, watching the compass, ........

Reminds me of this movie about sheep farming ... never could figure out why
the sheep were so happy.

=============

As a general rule, women cannot be trusted without supervision aboard a
sailing vessel. ...

Total BS. I trust Maryann with my life regularly. I've sailed with
many competent women and it is not uncommon to see cruising boats out
there run by partners where the woman is the better sailor. In the
local high school sailing league girls have proven time and again that
they are at least as good as the boys at the varsity level.

Oh, I'm not talking about some ridiculous varsity sport. I'm talking about
coastal or off shore cruising where watches are taken so one or the other
partner may grab some sleep. If you're honest, you will not help but
notice there are far more men lone-handing than women. Is it because men
would rather sail alone? In a few cases that may well be true but, for the
most part, men who would dearly love to find a trustworthy sailing partner
of the opposite sex cannot fine one because women simply are not
interested. What kind of a life is living aboard a small yacht for a woman
anyway? It's the very antithesis of what womanhood is all about these
days. Gone are the days when the majority of women were more interested in
being a helpmate for their husband than being a beauty queen set upon a
throne for the whole world to admire. Overwhelming vanity and hedonism is
what the modern-day woman embodies. Even the paltry few of those who are
interested in yachts and cruising seem to be looking for a short cruise
and not some long-term cruising lifestyle. Hence. they just don't take
sailing seriously long enough to develop into skilled sailors. Those are
the facts. Keep trusting your Maryann. One of these days, probably in the
near future, she will let you down. The odds are very good that she will,
at least.

Wilbur Hubbard

"capt.bill11" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 2, 6:40 pm, " wrote:
No potshots from me, but a couple of comments that I hope are
constructive.

We're taking
the Captain's classes beginning in a couple of weeks. That won't make
us better sailors, necessarily, but it will add to our skillsets.

The USCG tests for licenses assume that you have proven to be
experienced and competent in the service that you are testing for and
to a large extent just attempt to make sure there are no gaping holes
in your knowledge. Courses for the licenses tend to assume much the
same and cover a lot of ground very quickly. I wonder if it might not
be more appropriate to look at classes intended for novices rather
than professionals.

I agree. I think your money would be better spend on some other form
of educational experience.

Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary courses would be ideal. I hate the
idea of making them "mandatory," but they should be taken by anyone who
boats on open water. In Italy, I couldn't operate a skiff with an outboard
engine without passing a course and test first.

--

I'll go head to head with most men any day of the week, Larry. My boat is
sized for what I can handle. Nevertheless, your gendertyping doesn't take

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
news

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

The trouble is it's been recently proven that women's brains are smaller
and, as a consequence, women are less intelligent than men.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0322060241.htm
Particularly important is the way women's brains are inferior when it
comes to spatial cognizance. Simply put, women get lost easier. Not a
good trait for somebody navigating a small vessel.

It has also been proven that women, even if they are the same size as
men, have weaker muscles. It is well known that a woman who weighs 150
pounds has more of that body mass taken up with fat than the average 150
pound male who has less body fat and more muscle. Men's muscles, size
for size, are stronger than women's muscles.

So forget going head to head with men. Instead, be a good girl and
concentrate on giving head. It's the path to womanly success.

Wilbur Hubbard

In Italy? You are actually mentioning Italy in a posting about boating
safety? Italy?

What next? France?

Oh,, the humanity.

======================

et...

On Apr 2, 6:40 pm, " wrote:
[...]

On 2 Apr 2007 08:22:59 -0700, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

Skip,
May I make a couple of points.
1. You said that you had a sea anchor and would have used it had it
been more readily available. When crossing an ocean or when uncertain
weather is imminent, it may be a good idea to have the sea anchor
ready for deployment on deck. It is not onerous and will give you
confidence to face any weather. I have a short length of stout nylon
line with a eye splice on each end - with galvanised thimbles. One end
drops over the bollard on the mid-foredeck (bronze maltese cross). The
other is shackled to a short length of half inch galvanised chain
which passes over the anchor roller preventing chafe to any line (one
of the main problems of a sea-anchor). One does not have to crawl up
the deck in a stong wind and crashing seas in the dark to "move the
line a little". From the chain to the cockpit, outside the staunchions
and secured at intervals with plastic cable ties, I have an 18 mm
three strand nylon rode with an eye at each end.

The sea anchor plus the zipped bag with the 120 metres of nylon braid
are secured to the aft deck. Both ends of the braid are available when
I open the bag and I shackle these (two bow shackles to each eye
splice for added security) to both the rode along side the boat and to
the para anchor.l When I decide to deploy, all I do is lie the vessel
about 20 degrees off the wind and waves, throw out the retrieval line
after clipping on a large round fender as a float, and when it has fed
out by the boat's backward drift, I feed out the para anchor. It all
happens in surprising slow motion and i'm sitting down, safely in the
cockpit the entire time. The anchor pulls the nylon braid out of its
bag and then, when that it out, it pulls on the line to the bow,
snapping the cable ties one after another. There is nothing greater
than being bounced around crashing up and down through the seas and
heading into bad weather, than suddenly lying stable with the bow
rising up and down with each on-coming wave. It's just like parking
your car in a busy freeway on a long journey and taking a break.

There is no way that I want to lug a heavy couple of bags up to the
bow in heavy weather - it would be a good way to lose them over the
side, go over myself, or sustain an injury by either falling or being
banged against something.

I use half inch galvanised shackles solely for security. I have had
316 shackles fail without any warning. One was attached to a SS chain
hook at the end of a nylon snubbing line. It suddenly broke on both
sides of the pin - mujst have been crevice corrosion. As the shackles
are solely used for the sea anchor, there is no rust. Oh - and I
always mouse these shackles with stainless siezing wire which I have
short lengths ready attached to each shackle. I have an oiled pair `of
pliers in the side pocket of the sea anchor bag solely for this.

Word of warning - make sure that you have plenty of sea room. Boats
vary, but mine drifts abckward at about half a knot - considerable in
losing all that distance by running.

2. Learning on digital systems.
Though I am employed in the digital technology realm and am no
technophobe - I strongly believe that people should first learn to
navigate using a paper chart, even if only at home. I have met sailors
engaged in a circumnavigation who could not use a paper chart at all.
A few came to grief in one form or another. There is something about
being absolutely familar with a paper chart, plotting courses,
determining leeway, tide etc that gives a more complete picture to a
relative novice than does a digital chart system.

Digital systems are great. That is all I have used for a number of
years now, but I have found that people seem to comprehend better when
they have started on a paper one.

Hope this is of use.

cheers
Peter
N.Z. yacht Herodotus

Yeah, I like Charleston, too, Larry, but I can remember being directed to a
slip @ the Maritime Marina that had "plenty of water" for my 3 1/2 ft draft
cat.
When we couldn't get closer than 6 ft off, I suggested to the harbormaster
maybe there wasn't as much water as he thought. At least he cleated our
docklines and hooked up the end of the water hose we tossed him.

"Larry" wrote in message
snip
Y'all come up ta Charleston. Hell, there's more depth at the marina than
in FLORIDA!...(c;

Larry

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 19:04:11 -0500, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

Thinking otherwise, though politically wonderful, is foolhardy and
dangerous.

Larry
--

I'll go head to head with most men any day of the week, Larry. My boat is
sized for what I can handle. Nevertheless, your gendertyping doesn't take
into account that there are plenty of women who are bigger than some men. Or
even the average man, for that matter. And some day, we shall rule the
Earth.

What do you mean "someday'? I have been doing as I have been told by
my owner for thirty years, but then I come from a country where the
current and last Prime Ministers are women - New Zealand.

Besides, how many men could stand at the wheel for over 20 hours
without once leaving it in heavy weather when the new autopilot
stopped working? My owner has.

Another thing. Many cruising couples reveal that when it is time to go
to the top of the mast, it is the woman who does so. I am expert at
calling out instructions from below. Besides, I know where the tools
she needs are.

When the prop is fouled by a net, a line or a plastic bag (woven
plastic rice bags are the worst), then the owner is urged over the
side - my reasoning - woman have more subcutaneous fat than men and do
not so readily sucumb to the cold. Besides, everyone knows that sharks
do not attack women as readily - something about their smell.

Lastly, women can be yelled at and sworn at during docking or
anchoring - quite common in my experience. If you treated a male
friend like that you would be sailing alone or lying prone often.

cheers
Peter Hendra

"KLC Lewis" wrote in
news
I'll go head to head with most men any day of the week, Larry. My boat
is sized for what I can handle. Nevertheless, your gendertyping
doesn't take into account that there are plenty of women who are
bigger than some men. Or even the average man, for that matter. And
some day, we shall rule the Earth.

Some women are Russian Mud Wrestlers. But, alas, these are NOT the
beautiful biological specimens I have longingly observed aboard yachts,
over many years of longing observations, thank God.

"WHERE'S THE BEEF?!" (Clara Pell)

If one were to poll the assembled females observed sailing in and out of
Charleston Harbor, over a period of many months, one would find them 120#
soccer moms, some married but some foolin' around, who MIGHT be able to
pull 30# on a genoa sheet and NOT be able to crank the winch handle, in
high torque mode on a 2-speed winch, in a 25 knot wind.

These are the women to which I'm referring....not Russian Mud Wrestlers
capable of retracking a halftrack in Moscow in January.

Larry
--
"Iss next Efning Vear! Verry Nicea!"
Remember the commercial with Soviet women in identical dresses waving a