Default Flying Pig Chronicles, Current Edition

A discussion has been taking place about the wisdom of delaying full
interior reconstruction based on the general demonstrated strength of
Flying Pig. So, this is a separate post to reflect what's happening
at the moment:

Preface: for those interested in the gory details, pictures are up in
the gallery at the end of my sig line. Click the first thumbnail...

Conversation with the yard owners has confirmed my suspicions in many
regards. The nicer of them (you'll see a different post on the other
side) is reflected in the prior couple of posts (under chemical bonds
and other topics) about our stout old gal, with which they agree.
So...

We finally have a plan. This is the letter I just sent to my
adjuster:

From: "Skip Gundlach"
To: "Gibson, Jean" ; ; "My
Gmail post Copy"
Subject: Flying Pig and Keys Boat Works
Date: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 7:00 PM

Hi, Jean,

We are being raped here. We are moving the boat back to Salt Creek
Marina.
We have talked with several contractors here in the yard (including
one the
yard was going to use for fiberglass work), and there is total
agreement on
our course of action, suggested by them before we brought it up, but
confirming our suspicions as to the way to proceed. Which is:

Some quick-and-dirty repairs to make her watertight and steerable
(well,
improve steering - it steered behind our tow in, but could be better),
and
off we go.

We are headed to Salt Creek Marina, 107 15th Avenue SE, St. Petersburg
FL
33701. We'll re-establish contact from our first internet availability
once
we are off. We'll pay the yard bills and keep the receipts, in the
event
they are of any use. The yard bills here are 6 times what they'll be
in St.
Pete. TowBoatUS already knows about you and has effectively got a
lien on
the vessel for salvage, so that will be handled by insurance funds.
As the
total costs of our repair, even if we contract the repairs 2-3x more
effectively in St. Pete, will exhaust the (insurance) funds available,
we're
no longer going to retain any personal items damaged for Bob to see or
review for restitution,
so there's no need for his review on any of those.

We'll stay in touch. However, as Captain, I have to take
responsibility for
my vessel, and she is in dire peril (financially) here, so we're
taking
measures to minimize the damage.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2 Disaster link: http://ipphotos.com/FlyingPig.asp
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain