Default Dream vs reality

Skip and Lydia got beat up pretty bad and I hope it doesnt ruin their
dream.
However, the few people I know (3) who did this sorta thing, spending
years building a boat, defferred sailing until she was finished, etc.
sailed a short way and ended their dream.
How does this happen? I call it the "Cruising World" syndrome. The
magazines dont give a real pic of what it is like. Most of the
problems are not physical but mental. Days at 4 knots and soon you
are so bored you are talking to jellyfish. Then suddenly you are so
scared you become a jibbering idiot. Then you anchor and you and your
spouse drive each other nuts being so close. Mowing that lawn at your
old place ashore starts to look real good.

How to keep it from happening? Dont defer sailing while you build.
Keep your small boat and sail and cruise regularly. I think Skip and
Lydia ought to have stuck to their original plan of daylight sailing
only EVEN IF IT MEANT GOING DOWN THE ICW DITCH. This would have
exposed many flaws in the plan until they could jump on the outside to
Naples and then Everglades City. From there it is a daylight trip to
Marathon. By the time they really needed to sail at night they'd be
good.

I know another couple who just bought a big boat to fix up, by
coincidence, a Morgan. They talk of selling their old 25' boat but I
hope they dont until the big boat is really ready.

Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 13, 7:43 am, "Frogwatch" wrote:

Skip and Lydia got beat up pretty bad and I hope it doesnt ruin their
dream.

This fact speaks loudly. The weather by S&L's account was 25 knots
with 6-8' waves. Regardless of wave frequency or if 30 K and 10'
waves. And yes I have worked the GOM. Those conditions are an
excellent day in most waters. And for a 46' boat !?!?!?

However, the few people I know (3) who did this sorta thing, spending
years building a boat, defferred sailing until she was finished, etc.
sailed a short way and ended their dream.
How does this happen? I call it the "Cruising World" syndrome.

YES..... I agree!

I have met four couples in the last 6 years who fit this pattern. Most
recently in a little harbor called Winchester Bay, OR. The couple
worked in finance, bought a never sailed 42' something. It was so
shinny bright white I had to wear shades. She drank wine, he worked
busily adding do-dads. After 1+ years getting ready for their "Dream"
the two headed out over the bar. They got about 3 miles off shore, got
knocked around, the alternator light went on and they returned to
port. The boat has not left the slip since. That was three years ago.

I wont detail the Rawson 30 couple. They are a case study and she is
just a ....case. Neither have ever sailed, she doesnt know how to swim
because she doesn't like the water, bought the boat over the internet
sight un seen, and have spent the last four years "fitting" their
vessel for their Dream cruise to Mexico and beyond.

The one common word I hear in every case
is.................................. DREAM. For some reason people
have lives they want to escape and sail away to paradise. For them a
sailboat is a symbol of freedom, a blissful way of life that can free
you from the shackles of stress, boredom, drudgery, and pressures of
deadlines, bills, screaming kids, or a demanding boss. In other words,
if I buy this thing it will make me feel happy.

The
magazines dont give a real pic of what it is like. Most of the
problems are not physical but mental.

Agreed. And I would add that equipment (as seen in their magazine)
will solve ALL problems. "...This NAV gizmo will guide your boat through
any treacherous channel. My gosh, technical accuracy to 3 meters...!"

Days at 4 knots and soon you
are so bored you are talking to jellyfish. Then suddenly you are so
scared you become a jibbering idiot. Then you anchor and you and your
spouse drive each other nuts being so close. Mowing that lawn at your
old place ashore starts to look real good.

Agreed! But for the few who truly are humbled by the sight of petrels,
albatross, the first sea spout, flying fish jumping on deck, a bunch
of spinner dolphins 20' away or my all time favorite. Sailing in total
darkness with two dolphins riding the bow wake. The bioluminescence
lighting up the dolphin. Stardust streaming off every fin leaving a
trail of sparkles in their wake. My guess is that sort of stuff is
rather boring to the Dreamers.

How to keep it from happening? Dont defer sailing while you build.
Keep your small boat and sail and cruise regularly. I think Skip and
Lydia ought to have stuck to their original plan of daylight sailing
only EVEN IF IT MEANT GOING DOWN THE ICW DITCH. This would have
exposed many flaws in the plan until they could jump on the outside to
Naples and then Everglades City. From there it is a daylight trip to
Marathon. By the time they really needed to sail at night they'd be
good.

Yes, if the reported weather gave them such a problem it is obvious
they needed more training/experience.

Ive read a few plane analogies. If I had soloed a Cessna 150 with 25
logged hours and then bought a Boeing 707 to fly around the world I
think most people would think I'm going to kill myself.

Excellent obervations Fogwatch.
BOb

I think all the FP problems came about from not having a proper
denaming ceremony when they renamed her! ****ed off old King Neptune!
Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 13, 9:31 am, Gordon wrote:
I think all the FP problems came about from not having a proper
denaming ceremony when they renamed her! ****ed off old King Neptune!

Eeeks! I did not know this. This explains what happened! Never wnat to
dishonor Neptunus Rex.... Silly mortals.
Did Skip remove every reference to the past name? Old logs, a slip of
paper with the old name. I know how Skip douments things. Did he make
the fatal mistake having a before and after picture on board????? A
photo on his laptop with the old name?

However, the few people I know (3) who did this sorta thing, spending
years building a boat, defferred sailing until she was finished, etc.
sailed a short way and ended their dream.
How does this happen? I call it the "Cruising World" syndrome.

YES..... I agree!

snip examples
The one common word I hear in every case
is.................................. DREAM. For some reason people
have lives they want to escape and sail away to paradise. For them a
sailboat is a symbol of freedom, a blissful way of life that can free
you from the shackles of stress, boredom, drudgery, and pressures of
deadlines, bills, screaming kids, or a demanding boss. In other words,
if I buy this thing it will make me feel happy.

I have a violent objection (myself) to talking about "DREAMS" Dreams
are pie in the sky and impractical. If all you do is dream, you
deserve to have your dream broken (IMHO). I don't want to just dream
about something. I want a plan (and I don't mean a schedule).

There are some places where dreams are appropriate. Inventors,
composers writers and artists need to dream. Possibly also
entrepreneurs. Not pilots, or sailors.

I think S&L had a plan. The fact that there was a schedule associated
with it was an unfortunate element in the plan, but at least they were
thinking about how to accomplish what they wanted.
snip

Frogwatch ,, you have posted some very good comments over the last week.
Some very honest postings; tough to read sometimes.

Just about everyone, me included, has been a victim of Cruising World
Syndrome. The pictures of beautiful boats, beautiful people, beautiful
islands, the ocean is always just right, the weather is just right, the
personal stories are of couples who love the boat, the sea, the islands, the
sailing ...............................

And then reality; the weather sucks, the marina's are ripping you off, the
local coastal governments are corrupt and taxing you to death,

And so you get fed up. Is this worth it? ...

But, some of us keep doing it, over and over again. I have been addicted to
this pain since 1978. No detox clinic. Betty Ford? Does she sail? When I
can't take it, I am so nuts I am talking to myself,,, the mailman shows up
with my latest edition of "DIY Boat Owner Magazine".. or "Good Old Boat".
So, I start reading ... and reading ... and reading ... if I do this, and I
get that ,, and then I will do this ,, and I can fix that ...

Ahhhhhh ,,, another fix.

Last summer, for the first time, I started sailing alone. Not by design. I
could not find a crew. Now this really brings out the disease. Try to dock
the boat. Or go and get gas. The kid at the gas dock doesn't give a ****
about the gelcoat.

Ahhhhhh ,,, another fix; my copy of "How to Refinish your Hull" by Don
Casey has just arrived.

And so along with lots of other addicted people, just like Skip and Lydia ,,
we go on. We make one big mistake after another. We run aground, we get
lost, there is frustration. But, we are sailors! And that is a whole lot
better than sitting on your ass watching the grass grow.

I'd rather die out on the ocean, trying to keep my boat afloat, than in some
stinkin hole with nothing to talk about but the beautiful lawn.

F ... that.

Sure there are folks who buy the boat and don't leave the dock. Sure there
are rich assholes who sit on the boat and drink gallons of alcohol. But
,,,, there are a few ,, just a few ,, who actually go forth and really screw
up. Yes!

Speaking of dreams ... the mailman just brought me Bruce Bingham's new
book. I wonder if my cat will go sailing with me? Huummm

Got to go .. another fix ................. Ahhhhhhhhh

Meow.

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Hey Rosalie ,, BBB ... boat .

You got me thinking ??? There should be a reality tv show called "Cruising
Dreams". Get a very disfunctional couple. A few very weird friends, an old
sailboat, have the wicked marina owner, the dock kid with the beautiful body
who is doing the rich lady on the big cruiser ,,

This could be hilarious.

My agent; R Long of the Titanic movie series ... Roger ??? Are you out
there? You are the MAN! Get this going.

The show :: opening scene: Roger standing off to the side speaks into
camera;

There is Tom. He is beyond help. What a dope. Lets take a closer look....

And then the show will start with me messing up my boat.

This is going to be bigger than Ozzy .. no, not that Ozzy .. Ozzy and
Harriet.

HOORAY FOR HOLLYWOOD

Hooray for Hollywood
That screwy, ballyhooey Hollywood!
Where any office boy
Or young mechanic
can be a panic
With just a good-looking pan (pan=face)
And any barmaid
Can be a star maid
If she dances with or without a fan (reference: Sally Rand*)
Hooray for Hollywood!
Where you're terrific
if you're even good!
Where anyone at all from Shirley Temple (child actress)
to Aimee Semple (Aimee Semple McPherson - evangelist)
is equally understood
Come on and try your luck
You could be Donald Duck
Hooray for Hollywood!

=======================

"Rosalie B." wrote in message

[...]

Somebody ought to write a book, fictional, about cruising but based on
reality. It should have an adventure story, a love story and should
feature long distance cruisers discussing their concerns, how they do
it, etc. I dont want to see another "My Familes Life At Sea"
nonfiction book; I hate that genre.

Frogwatch wrote:
Skip and Lydia got beat up pretty bad and I hope it doesnt ruin their
dream.

Agreed.

However, the few people I know (3) who did this sorta thing, spending
years building a boat, defferred sailing until she was finished, etc.
sailed a short way and ended their dream.
How does this happen? I call it the "Cruising World" syndrome. The
magazines dont give a real pic of what it is like.

That is for sure.

Most of the
problems are not physical but mental. Days at 4 knots and soon you
are so bored you are talking to jellyfish. Then suddenly you are so
scared you become a jibbering idiot. Then you anchor and you and your
spouse drive each other nuts being so close. Mowing that lawn at your
old place ashore starts to look real good.

Cruising can be wonderful, but it is not for
everybody--thankfully. Otherwise there would be
no anchorages left for us.

Don W.

Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 13, 10:37 am, "NE Sailboat" wrote:
Hey Rosalie ,, BBB ... boat .

You got me thinking ??? There should be a reality tv show called "Cruising
Dreams". Get a very disfunctional couple. A few very weird friends, an old
sailboat, have the wicked marina owner, the dock kid with the beautiful body
who is doing the rich lady on the big cruiser ,,

Have you ever watched the movie with Captain Ron!

Its a maritme version of the 1980s movie titled, MONEY PIT.

Both should be required watching befor any couple buys a boat to
follow their Dream.

Zarqawi's Successor Chosen on Reality Show Mr Wizzard General 0 June 14th 06 07:31 PM
Zarqawi's Successor Chosen on Reality Show [email protected] General 1 June 13th 06 06:22 PM
Help, my small ship has come in, I have a dream! Earl Colby Pottinger Cruising 33 November 24th 05 03:42 AM
Reality check Skip Gundlach Cruising 10 January 19th 04 04:51 PM
Save The Dream Paul Atkinson Cruising 6 November 7th 03 02:39 PM