Default Dream vs reality

Bob wrote:

On Feb 13, 7:43 am, "Frogwatch" wrote:
Skip and Lydia got beat up pretty bad and I hope it doesnt ruin their
dream.

This fact speaks loudly. The weather by S&L's account was 25 knots
with 6-8' waves. Regardless of wave frequency or if 30 K and 10'
waves. And yes I have worked the GOM. Those conditions are an
excellent day in most waters. And for a 46' boat !?!?!?

The first time we went very far offshore, we
crossed to Bimini from Fort Lauderdale in a
chartered Beneteau 51 with a hired captain. The
forecast was for 18 to 22 kts of wind with 6-8' seas.

When we left it was blowing 15-18Kts with 3-5's,
but six hours in we had 28 to 32Kts showing on the
instruments, and seas that were in the 8-12'
range. It was a very wet ride, eye opening, but
never dangerous--although the green water over the
deck revealed the leaking hatches in the v-berth
and wet down some of our clothes. We motor sailed
the whole way with about 9kts showing on the speed
log.

As a result of that trip, we both had our eyes
corrected with LASIK, because eyeglasses are
completely unusable in those conditions--something
we would not have thought of.

The next day we met a few cruisers that were holed
up behind Gun Caye waiting for a weather window to
cross, and they were surprised that we had crossed
at the time we did. Of course, when you are
chartering, you do not get to wait for a weather
window. You either go, or don't go.

We learned that my wife can sleep through
anything, and doesn't get seasick easily. I on
the other hand barely made it through six hours of
8-12's without feeding the fish.

I have met four couples in the last 6 years who fit this pattern. Most
recently in a little harbor called Winchester Bay, OR. The couple
worked in finance, bought a never sailed 42' something. It was so
shinny bright white I had to wear shades. She drank wine, he worked
busily adding do-dads. After 1+ years getting ready for their "Dream"
the two headed out over the bar. They got about 3 miles off shore, got
knocked around, the alternator light went on and they returned to
port. The boat has not left the slip since. That was three years ago.

One of my uncles sailed with a couple from San
Diego to Papeete, French Polynesia by way of the
Marquesa's. The couple had a lot sailing
experience, but had never been offshore, and they
were planning on doing the Pacific loop, and maybe
continuing on around the world.

Somewhere out there they caught a squall with the
spinnaker up, knocked down the boat, apparently
let fly and doused simultaneously, and ended up
with a sheet wrapped around the prop, and the
spinnaker wrapped under the keel, with no sail up
to keep making way. There was some screaming
involved, and by the time they made Papeete, the
dream was dead.

The one common word I hear in every case
is.................................. DREAM. For some reason people
have lives they want to escape and sail away to paradise.

Gordon Lightfoot wrote: "I guess it must be
wanderlust, or trying to get free..."

Agreed! But for the few who truly are humbled by the sight of petrels,
albatross, the first sea spout, flying fish jumping on deck, a bunch
of spinner dolphins 20' away or my all time favorite. Sailing in total
darkness with two dolphins riding the bow wake. The bioluminescence
lighting up the dolphin. Stardust streaming off every fin leaving a
trail of sparkles in their wake. My guess is that sort of stuff is
rather boring to the Dreamers.

For me it is a big part of the "dream". That and
all the stars and the milkyway on a clear night at
sea, and the excitement of a landfall someplace
you have never been. It is also being someplace
interesting and not having to leave in two weeks
to get back to the job when the vacation is over.

How to keep it from happening? Dont defer sailing while you build.
Keep your small boat and sail and cruise regularly. I think Skip and
Lydia ought to have stuck to their original plan of daylight sailing
only EVEN IF IT MEANT GOING DOWN THE ICW DITCH. This would have
exposed many flaws in the plan until they could jump on the outside to
Naples and then Everglades City. From there it is a daylight trip to
Marathon. By the time they really needed to sail at night they'd be
good.

Well, we own a 27' and a 38' sailboat right now,
and the one thing we are for sure getting good at
is fixing up sailboats (sigh).

Excellent obervations Fogwatch.
BOb

Agreed.

Don W.

Bob wrote:

On Feb 13, 10:37 am, "NE Sailboat" wrote:

Hey Rosalie ,, BBB ... boat .

You got me thinking ??? There should be a reality tv show called "Cruising
Dreams". Get a very disfunctional couple. A few very weird friends, an old
sailboat, have the wicked marina owner, the dock kid with the beautiful body
who is doing the rich lady on the big cruiser ,,

Have you ever watched the movie with Captain Ron!

That's a classic.

Don W.

krj krj is offline

Don W wrote:

Bob wrote:

[...]

The definition of a cruiser is "someone who likes to repair boats in
exotic locations"
krj

In article . com,
"Frogwatch" wrote:

I know another couple who just bought a big boat to fix up, by
coincidence, a Morgan. They talk of selling their old 25' boat but I
hope they dont until the big boat is really ready.

As I recall, one of the last things Skip and Lydia did was to get rid of
a plethora of small boats. I only remember powerboats, but they might
have had a sailboat or two in the mix.

I agree with Rosalie: theirs was a plan, not just a dream.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's NEW Pages: http://web.mac.com/jerelull/iWeb/Xan/

Zarqawi's Successor Chosen on Reality Show Mr Wizzard General 0 June 14th 06 07:31 PM
Zarqawi's Successor Chosen on Reality Show [email protected] General 1 June 13th 06 06:22 PM
Help, my small ship has come in, I have a dream! Earl Colby Pottinger Cruising 33 November 24th 05 03:42 AM
Reality check Skip Gundlach Cruising 10 January 19th 04 04:51 PM
Save The Dream Paul Atkinson Cruising 6 November 7th 03 02:39 PM