macduff

Default International/foreign customs (was) OT - Lousy Canadian tipping

As a Scot, if you tip like a yank with more money than sense, you will be
treated like one. The alleged US 'classless society' amuses me - they all
have their hands out. In Scotland, by and large Jock is as good as his
master, and his innate dignity, (something lacking in the USA), particularly
in country, areas,would not appreciate handouts.
"Rosalie B." wrote in message
x-no-archive:yes "Skip Gundlach" wrote:

Tipping customs help???

I'm about to go to Scotland for a funeral. I'm wondering what the norm

is
there.

I think at a restaurant 10% is usual.

I'll be in the highlands, arrive via Glasgow. I don't know how much

eating
out, or other sort of services I'll use (staying at a family home with

only
perhaps one hotel night), but this thread has me wondering who I'd offend
with my normal generous tipping (several of Lydia's family are in the
hospitality biz so I have a better perspective than most of what they go
through and how little they make, even in an alcohol establishment).

I'll
be taking a shuttle to the rental car and back to the airport, for

example,
and may be forced into skycap service (don't know how it works over

there),
when I'd ordinarily take them to the counter myself, that kind of thing.

Anyone know??

L8R

Skip (and Lydia), gone for a couple weeks Wednesday

grandma Rosalie

Default OT - Lousy Canadian tipping

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 00:09:06 GMT, "Phil" wrote:

What happens if you order just four pints? Is their a rule of thumb how much
one can order without feeling like he should?

No, although if the barperson was prompt, you could just order single
pints for yourself and tip them "one for yourself" when leaving. It's
not expected there, they are paid properly, and it's simply a token of
your esteem...like buying rounds.

The whole tipping thing is way to confusing. I think they should just pay
everyone a decent wage and forget tipping and if your service sucks you get
fired just like any other job.
I never even know who to tip anymore.

I tend to agree it's a contemptible custom when extorted.

Do you tip the guy that works at the marina that grabs your lines for you
when you come in?

Not if it's his job. If he fends you off or performs minor heroics,
buy him a beer. Our dockmaster, who wouldn't be at my dock unless I
radioed ahead, CAN'T by club rules take tips or drink with members. In
which case I would commend her to her manager and recommend a bonus...

How about the guy that pumps your fuel?

Hell, no.

Do you tip the girl at the drive in Sonic burger joint that rollerskates out
with your food even though you have no choice to go in and get it yourself?

No.

We get the best service from Smithfields Chicken N' BBQ and they don't get
tipped by anyone and they are always happy. Go figure!!

If you love them so much, slip 'em an envelope at Xmas or offer to
give $20 to their favourite charity. Many little places support sports
teams or charities...drop something in the jar by the till.

When I was a teenager, I went to a chinese food restaraunt with a bunch of
people and in the end I got stuck with the whole bill. I paid it in cash and
had very little for a tip but left what I had and was going to an ATM to get
more and go back. I had some chinese dude come out in the parking lot with a
carving knife screaming What the matter!!!!Food no good??? Lousy tip!!!!!!!
I will never forget that night, you would think one of the cheap asses I was
with would throw a few bucks in. Needless to say I never went out with them
again.

That's not your fault...it's the sons-of-bitches you hung with. The
cook was rude and homicidal...tips are and shall ever be voluntary, or
they are tips, they are "service charges".

R.

You know, most travel guides cover this topic pretty well. I suggest
"The Rough Guide to Scotland" or "Fodor's Scotland/British Isles".

R.

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 02:19:52 GMT, "Skip Gundlach"
wrote:

[...]

Tuuk

Tipping is gone so commercial it unfair to both now. It has been resorted to
begging. These beggars mostly do their begging to targets who are one time
visitors to where ever you are. People who regularly tip without fail are
simply puppets or have more money than brains. There are a lot out there and
if that makes them feel good that is ok. For the rest of the working class,
no tipping should be stopped as it puts a large barrier between yourself and
the business you wish to visit. The compensation received by the employee
must come from the employer, if not than too much tax evasion exists. I know
many in tourism industry in popular cities who work tables, no education,
and on good nights get well over 200 or 300 dollars U.S. tips and that is
tax free.
So you puppets can just give your money away, you really do it to make
yourself feel better than the beggar you are giving it to. It is a
superiority thing where you just show to the slave waiting on you that you
are more important and better. The receiver of the tip lowers themselves to
the state of a beggar but they have no dignity after a while as they have to
make hay while the sun shines.

Subject: OT - Lousy Canadian tipping
From: "Don White"

What areyou blathering about?
I am Canadian......and a sailor.
I tip at least 15% and often 20%
I even tip the counter clerk at my local Tim Horton's when I go for a

coffee
& donut.
The minimum wage here has just risen to $ 5.85 CDN per hr.

It's was joke son, a joke!

Capt. Bill

john s.

wrote:

[...]

In Europe (including the British Isles), tips and taces are usually
included in the bill, so that tipping is only for exceptional service.
In the US, you tip everybody, except the Justices of the Supreme Court
(tipping politicians is known under the euphemism "campaign
contributions")
john

SAIL LOCO

I *think* they are also taxed as though a certain portion of their wages are
assumed as tips.

That is correct. My kids have all bartended or waited tables. This whole
thing is great for restarunts especially the big corporate ones. Your paycheck
usually equals zero! The restarunt usually says "you billed this amount so we
figure you made this amount in tips so we took out this much in taxes so we owe
you nothing" What a deal! Free labor! And if a customer skips out the door
without paying they make the server pay.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
SAIL LOCO

On more than one occasion I have seen Canadian snowbirds anchor off a marina
then, after dark, tie up to an outside slip, hook up their electric, spend
the night then depart before business hours the next morning.

Hey a friend and I delivered his new Hunter 30 back in 89 and we traveled down
the Chesapeak in Nov. and did this. We needed heat.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport