Default OT - Lousy Canadian tipping

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 00:09:06 GMT, "Phil" wrote:

What happens if you order just four pints? Is their a rule of thumb how much
one can order without feeling like he should?

No, although if the barperson was prompt, you could just order single
pints for yourself and tip them "one for yourself" when leaving. It's
not expected there, they are paid properly, and it's simply a token of
your esteem...like buying rounds.

The whole tipping thing is way to confusing. I think they should just pay
everyone a decent wage and forget tipping and if your service sucks you get
fired just like any other job.
I never even know who to tip anymore.

I tend to agree it's a contemptible custom when extorted.

Do you tip the guy that works at the marina that grabs your lines for you
when you come in?

Not if it's his job. If he fends you off or performs minor heroics,
buy him a beer. Our dockmaster, who wouldn't be at my dock unless I
radioed ahead, CAN'T by club rules take tips or drink with members. In
which case I would commend her to her manager and recommend a bonus...

How about the guy that pumps your fuel?

Hell, no.

Do you tip the girl at the drive in Sonic burger joint that rollerskates out
with your food even though you have no choice to go in and get it yourself?

No.

We get the best service from Smithfields Chicken N' BBQ and they don't get
tipped by anyone and they are always happy. Go figure!!

If you love them so much, slip 'em an envelope at Xmas or offer to
give $20 to their favourite charity. Many little places support sports
teams or charities...drop something in the jar by the till.

When I was a teenager, I went to a chinese food restaraunt with a bunch of
people and in the end I got stuck with the whole bill. I paid it in cash and
had very little for a tip but left what I had and was going to an ATM to get
more and go back. I had some chinese dude come out in the parking lot with a
carving knife screaming What the matter!!!!Food no good??? Lousy tip!!!!!!!
I will never forget that night, you would think one of the cheap asses I was
with would throw a few bucks in. Needless to say I never went out with them
again.

That's not your fault...it's the sons-of-bitches you hung with. The
cook was rude and homicidal...tips are and shall ever be voluntary, or
they are tips, they are "service charges".

R.