LaBomba182

Default OT - Lousy Canadian tipping

Subject: OT - Lousy Canadian tipping
From: "Geoffrey W. Schultz"

I'd say that most people who deal with cruisers can easily substitute
whatever nationality they want. Cruisers are notoriously cheap.

You are correct sir! :-)

Capt. Bill
RWKxxx

You would not. It takes an IQ of over 50 to undersand.

Capt Bill is a very rude (not) smart man that knows it all. He needs to get

life and stop trying to be the know it all. Look at some of his other
post......

Everything. It's a know fact the only thing cheaper than a Canadian is a
Canadian sailor.

And tcptn1 didn't get the joke.

Capt. Bill

Tuuk

Yes, I saw that along the Trent Canal this summer, especially Georgian Bay,
Boisle Island. I was docking or anchoring there and saw many boats dock,
leave their garbage, stay a few nights, and not pay nothing. It is an honor
system. American boats were there also, doing the same thing.

Tipping is not mandatory. When a restaurant hangs a schedule on the wall
regarding tipping, that is going too far. It is something that is earned by
the waiter. Should they require money for nothing or for no service, they
should just join the welfare rolls. Sometimes I tip very well, sometimes not
at all. More than a few times, I have had servers walking out of the
restaurant after me with their hands out, asking the same question "what was
wrong with my service, where is my money"?.
Mostly in New York, Niagara Falls, Key West, Key Largo, Toronto, Los
Angeles, all these places are "get you once, get you good" towns. The
tourist towns know that your typically going to visit one time so they know
they will never see you again, they try to maximize the tip from you,
suckers. This is the attitude.
More than a dozen times I have been driven to the airport by some van, they
always have a "tips appreciated" sign in the van, and always have their hand
out at the end of your journey. One time, a driver drove me home, and others
were in the van, I asked what the tip should be, someone said around 15
bucks, someone said they were not tipping, I gave the guy 7 bucks, it was
only a half hour drive for me, the service was 70 bucks to begin with, he
threw my luggage right in the middle of my lawn. Right in front of the other
passengers. So how much is enough to tip? Should be nothing. Remuneration or
compensation should be part of the employers responsibility. Not the
customer indirectly. These people are beggars. When I go to the barbers, I
see the booths set up with their jars of small bills, obviously there so you
can see it is their tip jar. Beggars. If they deserve a tip, they get one,
but it is not mandatory. It is a shameful thing. I wouldn't want to be one
of those beggars. Dont give me that **** that they are lower income, their
income is counting on the generosity of the customer. Give your head a
shake. Both the U.S. and Canada are social countries. Should they need
welfare, it is there. So your paying them for their ability to find or seek
a good job should you tip or not.
Tips are deserving, not demanding.

"Ryk" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 07:58:16 -0400, in message

"Jerry" wrote:

On more than one occasion I have seen Canadian snowbirds anchor off a

marina
then, after dark, tie up to an outside slip, hook up their electric,

spend
the night then depart before business hours the next morning.

On more than one occasion I have seen US boats moor at Canadian
National Park docks without paying the fees that are due. The
collection is based on an honour system deposit box.

I don't think either handful of anecdotes proves much.

Ryk

--
Unfortunately this address has been overrun by SPAM.
If you want to be sure I see email from you, then

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 12:07:49 GMT, "Geoffrey W. Schultz"
wrote:

In a large part of the world %10 is the average tip. Now what does this
have to do with sailing?

Well, if you cruise long-term, it's important to know the gratuities
customs--if any--of the places you visit.

A for-instance is the British Isles and in this case including
Ireland. You simply don't tip the barman...it's considered insulting.
You do, however, say "and one for yourself" when placing a table-ful
of orders, for, say, eight pints of lager. Then you give the guy the
price of nine pints of lager.

And so on.

R.

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 16:03:15 GMT, "Geoffrey W. Schultz"
wrote:

I'd say that most people who deal with cruisers can easily substitute
whatever nationality they want. Cruisers are notoriously cheap.

Most of them have to be. Cruising is expensive, or can be, and the
opportunities to make money while doing it are few, and the expenses
are always more than you planned.

The opportunities for cruisers to carry excess cash are limited, as
well. Even in an age of plastic, most tip-earners prefer bills.

Special cases, cruisers. Of course, if they don't visit because they
don't feel welcome, or feel gouged, the whole economy of Bananastan
suffers.

R.
Phil

What happens if you order just four pints? Is their a rule of thumb how much
one can order without feeling like he should?
The whole tipping thing is way to confusing. I think they should just pay
everyone a decent wage and forget tipping and if your service sucks you get
fired just like any other job.
I never even know who to tip anymore.

Do you tip the guy that works at the marina that grabs your lines for you
when you come in?

How about the guy that pumps your fuel?

Do you tip the girl at the drive in Sonic burger joint that rollerskates out
with your food even though you have no choice to go in and get it yourself?

We get the best service from Smithfields Chicken N' BBQ and they don't get
tipped by anyone and they are always happy. Go figure!!

When I was a teenager, I went to a chinese food restaraunt with a bunch of
people and in the end I got stuck with the whole bill. I paid it in cash and
had very little for a tip but left what I had and was going to an ATM to get
more and go back. I had some chinese dude come out in the parking lot with a
carving knife screaming What the matter!!!!Food no good??? Lousy tip!!!!!!!
I will never forget that night, you would think one of the cheap asses I was
with would throw a few bucks in. Needless to say I never went out with them
again.

Phil

wrote:

In a large part of the world %10 is the average tip. Now what does this
have to do with sailing?

Well, if you cruise long-term, it's important to know the gratuities
customs--if any--of the places you visit.

A for-instance is the British Isles and in this case including
Ireland. You simply don't tip the barman...it's considered insulting.
You do, however, say "and one for yourself" when placing a table-ful
of orders, for, say, eight pints of lager. Then you give the guy the
price of nine pints of lager.

And so on.

R.

Don White

What areyou blathering about?
I am Canadian......and a sailor.
I tip at least 15% and often 20%
I even tip the counter clerk at my local Tim Horton's when I go for a coffee
& donut.
The minimum wage here has just risen to $ 5.85 CDN per hr.

LaBomba182 wrote in message

Everything. It's a know fact the only thing cheaper than a Canadian is a
Canadian sailor.

Capt. Bill

Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes "Phil" wrote:

What happens if you order just four pints? Is their a rule of thumb how much
one can order without feeling like he should?
The whole tipping thing is way to confusing. I think they should just pay
everyone a decent wage and forget tipping and if your service sucks you get
fired just like any other job.
I never even know who to tip anymore.

Yes it is confusing - that's why you need to know. In the States it's
usually 15% for waiters unless it's a buffet, in which case we usually
leave less. If the wait person has done a significantly wonderful
job, or if we've got little people who have spread cracker crumbs all
over the floor or something, we might up it to 20%. Bob's method is
to take the MD state tax (5%) and multiply by 3 and then round up to a
whole number (or down in the service was bad) - that way you don't tip
on the tax. Of course it doesn't work if the tax isn't 5%.

Do you tip the guy that works at the marina that grabs your lines for you
when you come in?

We do if he or she does more than just grab the lines. If he has to
wrestle the boat into the slip against wind and current (as we have a
full keel), or if he's out there in the freezing rain, then yes. If
he drops the lines or doesn't catch them and doesn't know how to tie a
knot then no.

How about the guy that pumps your fuel?

No. And I don't tip the guys at the full service fuel pump at a gas
station either.

Do you tip the girl at the drive in Sonic burger joint that rollerskates out
with your food even though you have no choice to go in and get it yourself?

I don't know - we don't have those places, but probably we would - you
don't have the choice in a regular restaurant either do you? One of
my kids worked as a breakfast waitress and two were pizza delivery
people so I know how hard those jobs are. I don't tip the fast food
places where you drive up to the window or where you go to the counter
to get your food.

We get the best service from Smithfields Chicken N' BBQ and they don't get
tipped by anyone and they are always happy. Go figure!!

When I was a teenager, I went to a chinese food restaraunt with a bunch of
people and in the end I got stuck with the whole bill. I paid it in cash and
had very little for a tip but left what I had and was going to an ATM to get
more and go back. I had some chinese dude come out in the parking lot with a
carving knife screaming What the matter!!!!Food no good??? Lousy tip!!!!!!!
I will never forget that night, you would think one of the cheap asses I was
with would throw a few bucks in. Needless to say I never went out with them
again.

Phil

.. .
wrote:

In a large part of the world %10 is the average tip. Now what does this
have to do with sailing?

Well, if you cruise long-term, it's important to know the gratuities
customs--if any--of the places you visit.

A for-instance is the British Isles and in this case including
Ireland. You simply don't tip the barman...it's considered insulting.
You do, however, say "and one for yourself" when placing a table-ful
of orders, for, say, eight pints of lager. Then you give the guy the
price of nine pints of lager.

And so on.

R.

grandma Rosalie
Skip Gundlach

Default International/foreign customs (was) OT - Lousy Canadian tipping

Tipping customs help???

I'm about to go to Scotland for a funeral. I'm wondering what the norm is
there.

I'll be in the highlands, arrive via Glasgow. I don't know how much eating
out, or other sort of services I'll use (staying at a family home with only
perhaps one hotel night), but this thread has me wondering who I'd offend
with my normal generous tipping (several of Lydia's family are in the
hospitality biz so I have a better perspective than most of what they go
through and how little they make, even in an alcohol establishment). I'll
be taking a shuttle to the rental car and back to the airport, for example,
and may be forced into skycap service (don't know how it works over there),
when I'd ordinarily take them to the counter myself, that kind of thing.

Anyone know??

L8R

Skip (and Lydia), gone for a couple weeks Wednesday