macduff

Default International/foreign customs (was) OT - Lousy Canadian tipping

As a Scot, if you tip like a yank with more money than sense, you will be
treated like one. The alleged US 'classless society' amuses me - they all
have their hands out. In Scotland, by and large Jock is as good as his
master, and his innate dignity, (something lacking in the USA), particularly
in country, areas,would not appreciate handouts.
"Rosalie B." wrote in message
x-no-archive:yes "Skip Gundlach" wrote:

Tipping customs help???

I'm about to go to Scotland for a funeral. I'm wondering what the norm

is
there.

I think at a restaurant 10% is usual.

I'll be in the highlands, arrive via Glasgow. I don't know how much

eating
out, or other sort of services I'll use (staying at a family home with

only
perhaps one hotel night), but this thread has me wondering who I'd offend
with my normal generous tipping (several of Lydia's family are in the
hospitality biz so I have a better perspective than most of what they go
through and how little they make, even in an alcohol establishment).

I'll
be taking a shuttle to the rental car and back to the airport, for

example,
and may be forced into skycap service (don't know how it works over

there),
when I'd ordinarily take them to the counter myself, that kind of thing.

Anyone know??

L8R

Skip (and Lydia), gone for a couple weeks Wednesday

grandma Rosalie