Default wondering .. do you have a TV on board? How ....

Dave wrote:

On 23 Nov 2006 22:52:12 -0800, "Tim" said:

I don't have one on the boat. I probably won't. The closest thing I
have to a TV is a depthfinder. But I do have an AMFM CD player .

When we're out on the boat, That's it. ..just us and the boat.

If I wanted to watch TV, I'd stay home with the big screen,.

That wasn't the question. You are giving advice that you have not
been asked for. Worth about what we paid for it.

Pretty much what I was going to say. For entertainment when berthed, we
bring along a few good (or not so good) books.

As to the computer, I have an old Toshiba libretto on which the battery died
long ago hooked up to the GPS for navigation. It uses one of the "brick"
connections, run to a cigarette lighter connection, and runs all day without
running the battery down enough to notice. Normal engine usage getting in
and out of the harbor is enough recharge.

Dave wrote:

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:53:04 GMT, Rosalie B.
said:

That wasn't the question. You are giving advice that you have not
been asked for.

Ah, a practice unheard of in this group.

If you don't like the message, attack the messenger.

The question that was asked was - do you have a TV on your boat. You
could just say no, without moralizing about it. You could even say,
No we don't have a TV because we don't want one.

You aren't the messenger in this case. A messenger is just someone
that carries a message without having any input or responsibility for
the content. Attacking the message writer (you) for what he writes is
sometimes appropriate, where attacking a simple delivery person is
not.
..

Yes. Or I could have said I think anybody who spends his time on a boat

watching a boob tube has to be a little nuts.

It really depends on how you feel about "the boob tube." For those who
appreciate fine cinema, watching a classic film on the hook is a great
combo. We have a few sailing classics on board as well....great for
falling asleep on some nights. Hey, but if you want to watch old
episodes of TJ Hooker, that's cool too!
We also like music aboard, but usually don't have it going while
sailing these days.
It's "your" boat. Use it in a way that makes you happy and don't worry
about anyone elses judgements on it.

Robert
Beneteau 35s5
NY

Dave wrote:

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:32:43 GMT, Rosalie B.
said:

The question that was asked was - do you have a TV on your boat. You
could just say no, without moralizing about it. You could even say,
No we don't have a TV because we don't want one.

Yes. Or I could have said I think anybody who spends his time on a boat
watching a boob tube has to be a little nuts.

But I didn't. I simply concurred in Tim's statement that

" When we're out on the boat, That's it. ..just us and the boat.

If I wanted to watch TV, I'd stay home with the big screen,."

A little sensitive on the point, are we?

Just tired of everyone who thinks their way is the best and only way
and has a superior attitude about it.

We have a slightly bigger boat than perhaps we need because Bob
realized that we would both need our own space. Knowing that is
probably why we are still married after 47 years.

So ... just us and the boat wouldn't work for us. Bob has to be doing
stuff all the time, and I like to be in contact with other people,
even if briefly or just virtually.

I'm OK with the boat, but it wasn't my idea or goal, so if Bob puts a
TV on for me, fine. If the fact that I want to watch TV isn't a
problem for him, then why should you or Tim have a problem with it?

Tim Tim is offline

I dont' have a problem with it. I'm saying that if I want to watch TV
I'll stay at home, I go boating to get away from stuff, not take it
with me.

Thsi reminds me of some neighbors of mine that bought a $160,000.00
motor home that had about everything I can think that you can put on
two wheels., Why did they buy it? Their answer is obvious. So they
could go ..."Camping" !

If you want a TV then get one. I'm not going to stop you. But there's
no need to expect me to have one.

Rosalie B. wrote:
If the fact that I want to watch TV isn't a
problem for him, then why should you or Tim have a problem with it?

The thing is there is a big difference between "going boating" and living on
a boat for 6 months or longer. A cruising boat is not a camper although a
lot of people use than as such. A cruising boat is a home and should have
what ever conveniences and amenities as the owner feels he needs.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

oups.com...

"Tim" wrote:

I dont' have a problem with it. I'm saying that if I want to watch TV
I'll stay at home, I go boating to get away from stuff, not take it
with me.

You can't get away from stuff. You exchange one set of chores (lawn
mowing), for a set of boat chores (dishes washed by hand, putting up
an anchor light).

Thsi reminds me of some neighbors of mine that bought a $160,000.00
motor home that had about everything I can think that you can put on
two wheels., Why did they buy it? Their answer is obvious. So they
could go ..."Camping" !

Friends of ours have one of those, but that is their home. They don't
have a house. They are full time RVers - they live in their RV - and
that's what those kinds of RVs are made for. Living in different
parts of the country without having to unpack.

We live on our boat full time for sometimes six months. We aren't
camping. We are living in various harbors and marinas without having
to fly there and pack and unpack. So we aren't 'getting away from
stuff'. And we like to watch TV.

If you want a TV then get one. I'm not going to stop you. But there's
no need to expect me to have one.

I don't have any expectations for you. You can obviously do what you
want. And in return, I expect you to allow us to use our boat in the
way that suits us without looking down your nose at us and implying
that your way is the only REAL way to enjoy a boat..

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
The thing is there is a big difference between "going boating" and living on
a boat for 6 months or longer. A cruising boat is not a camper although a
lot of people use than as such. A cruising boat is a home and should have
what ever conveniences and amenities as the owner feels he needs.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Tim" wrote in message
oups.com...
I dont' have a problem with it. I'm saying that if I want to watch TV
I'll stay at home, I go boating to get away from stuff, not take it
with me.

This reminds me of some neighbors of mine that bought a $160,000.00
motor home that had about everything I can think that you can put on
2 axles., Why did they buy it? Their answer is obvious. So they

Rosalie B. wrote:
Friends of ours have one of those, but that is their home. They don't
have a house. They are full time RVers - they live in their RV - and
that's what those kinds of RVs are made for. Living in different
parts of the country without having to unpack.

By there own confession, the people that I'm talking about bought
theirs to "go camping"

We live on our boat full time for sometimes six months. We aren't
camping. We are living in various harbors and marinas without having
to fly there and pack and unpack. So we aren't 'getting away from
stuff'. And we like to watch TV.

Fine! God bless you for it.

I don't have any expectations for you.

Thank you, and neither do I for you.

You can obviously do what you
want. And in return, I expect you to allow us to use our boat in the
way that suits us without looking down your nose at us and implying
that your way is the only REAL way to enjoy a boat..

Did i say i was going to stop you?

Rosalie B. wrote:
If the fact that I want to watch TV isn't a
problem for him, then why should you or Tim have a problem with it?

By there own confession, the people that I'm talking about bought
theirs to "go camping"

Sooooo? I guess they like TV.

Robert
35s5
NY

Volvo spare part on board Cruising 17 August 4th 06 09:01 PM
Isn't there a political message board for all this? Rob Welling General 11 November 2nd 04 05:35 PM
And the Bush lies just keep on coming basskisser General 81 March 12th 04 12:27 PM
OT Bush: Fair and Balanced jps General 38 March 11th 04 12:39 PM