Default Volvo spare part on board

I am looking at buying a new boat with a M2030 Volvo diesel engine.
The situation in the Canadian Eastern Maritime is that the only Volvo dealer
makes his living with lobster fishermen and carry no part for small diesel.
If I buy that boat equipment with a Volvo diesel engine I will have to carry
parts on board. Not to mention that I will require that shop manual and
learn how to use it.
I would appreciate to receive some guide lines from Volvo owners as to what
to carry on board for spares and what to train myself for maintenance and
emergency repairs. TIA

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 11:30:01 GMT, wrote:
I am looking at buying a new boat with a M2030 Volvo diesel engine.
The situation in the Canadian Eastern Maritime is that the only Volvo dealer
makes his living with lobster fishermen and carry no part for small diesel.
If I buy that boat equipment with a Volvo diesel engine I will have to carry
parts on board. Not to mention that I will require that shop manual and
learn how to use it.
I would appreciate to receive some guide lines from Volvo owners as to what
to carry on board for spares and what to train myself for maintenance and
emergency repairs. TIA

Key spares include water pump impellers with gaskets, belts, filters.

You might also want to consider injectors, alternator and starter.

Would it be an asset to get the shop manual?

I had a Yanmar since 1982. I had my share of mishap with that make of
diesel. For some reason or another the engine always failed where the
current was strong and many time under dead calm condition. Other time when
there was wind I was able to get to a safe heaven under sail.

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 14:36:51 GMT, wrote:

Would it be an asset to get the shop manual?

I had a Yanmar since 1982. I had my share of mishap with that make of
diesel. For some reason or another the engine always failed where the
current was strong and many time under dead calm condition. Other time when
there was wind I was able to get to a safe heaven under sail.

A shop manual is always a useful thing to have but it has been my
experience that the most frequent maintenance issues like water pump
impellers, belts and fuel filters do not really require it.

Engine failures seem to follow Murphy's law and almost always occur at
the worst possible time. We once short tacked one of our old
sailboats down the east river in NY Harbor after losing the engine
coming through Hell's Gate. Very exciting. When I had sailboats it
became our policy to always have the mainsail up when under power for
any distance. That will at least give you some directional stability
while you scramble around and get a jib set.

Always having the mainsail up is a good policy when under engine power.

The problem I had, was losing the engine with no wind and a 4 knots current
while in the St. Lawrence seaway going parallel to the shipping lane. That
where I learned that the bulbous bow of a container ship produced a wave
that "with luck" will push a boat away of it path.

Having the mainsail up is prudent and when trimmed it goes well with the
engine power.

With my new boat I am considering getting a 9-10' inflatable dinghy with a 9
HP outboard. This way, when there is no wind, if I loose the engine I can
rafted the inflatable against the boat and use the 9 HP outboard to bring
the boat to a safe heaven.

I hope that I will not have to do that by having a good diesel engine and a
good maintenance program.

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 18:54:00 GMT, wrote:

With my new boat I am considering getting a 9-10' inflatable dinghy with a 9
HP outboard. This way, when there is no wind, if I loose the engine I can
rafted the inflatable against the boat and use the 9 HP outboard to bring
the boat to a safe heaven.

That works but it takes a few minutes to get organized.

I hope that I will not have to do that by having a good diesel engine and a
good maintenance program.

That's a good start but I've been having really lousy luck with water
pump impellers lately, on my generator where it's not critical, but
still a big pain. Any single engine boat is at risk but the anchor is
your best friend if there is no wind to bail you out.