Tim Tim is offline

Default wondering .. do you have a TV on board? How ....

I don't have one on the boat. I probably won't. The closest thing I
have to a TV is a depthfinder. But I do have an AMFM CD player .

When we're out on the boat, That's it. ..just us and the boat.

If I wanted to watch TV, I'd stay home with the big screen,.

NE Sailboat wrote:
Funny, I was thinking about this tonight .. why? I have no idea.

Do those small black and white tv's work? How much power? How do you power
one? Battery?

While I have your attention :: how much power does a laptop take up?

Also, how long will a laptop run before it is out of juice?

Since I don't have a "big screen" at home ....... a little screen on board
should be ok ... right?

I checked around and the dvd players are selling for $50 bucks ( that is the
price on the black Friday flyer ).

I clicked on a web site that said the battery should go 6 hours. Some of
them do battery packs, so you can bring two all powered up when you leave
for a cruise.

I also have a cd/am/fm/ stereo on board. I am adding a laptop for the boat.
Haven't bought it yet. The laptop will be used for navigation as well as
goofing.

With so much out there for sale, check ebay, why not?

Still must sail the boat though.

---
ups.com...

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
Since I don't have a "big screen" at home ....... a little screen on board
should be ok ... right?

I checked around and the dvd players are selling for $50 bucks ( that is
the price on the black Friday flyer ).

I clicked on a web site that said the battery should go 6 hours. Some of
them do battery packs, so you can bring two all powered up when you leave
for a cruise.

I also have a cd/am/fm/ stereo on board. I am adding a laptop for the
boat. Haven't bought it yet. The laptop will be used for navigation as
well as goofing.

With so much out there for sale, check ebay, why not?

Still must sail the boat though.

There is at least one really good reason for having a TV aboard, at least
for coastal and/or Great Lakes sailing: Weather Reports. Here in Green Bay,
where storms can pop up with little or no notice and travel 30 miles per
hour, it's nice to be able to tune into the local news and see what's
developing on doppler radar. Our official NWS reports on VHF are usually
(or at least too often) so wrong as to be laughable, if not dangerous.

Gogarty wrote:

In article ,
says...

I hate earphones (also hearing impaired but not as much as my
husband). We just put the captions on the TV. Then we can have the
sound off and still know what is going on.

Not too helpful if it's a musical performance you want to watch.

In the case of music, you don't have to watch so much. And for the
hearing impaired, it isn't as critical to understand what is going on
when it is music. If you miss a note or a phrase, you aren't saying
"What? What did he say?" You probably won't even notice that you are
missing all the top (higher) notes in the music unless you are really
profoundly deaf to where you can only feel the vibration of the bass
line in your feet.

I still hate earphones - if they are loud enough to hear, the sound
hurts my ears. (I'm deafer in one ear than the other.) And if the
sound hurts my ears, it is too loud.

With captions (since they usually lag), if I miss a word I can usually
look up and catch it. (Bob won't tell me because it annoys him that I
am using the computer or something while I 'watch' TV and he thinks
that if I paid attention, I'd know what was going on.)

NE Sailboat wrote:
Since I don't have a "big screen" at home ....... a little screen on board
should be ok ... right?

I checked around and the dvd players are selling for $50 bucks ( that is the
price on the black Friday flyer ).

I clicked on a web site that said the battery should go 6 hours.

Most won't last even close to that. But the Sony does.

http://www.epinions.com/content_236299587204

Robert
35s5
NY

KLC Lewis wrote:
There is at least one really good reason for having a TV aboard, at least
for coastal and/or Great Lakes sailing: Weather Reports. Here in Green Bay,
where storms can pop up with little or no notice and travel 30 miles per
hour, it's nice to be able to tune into the local news and see what's
developing on doppler radar. Our official NWS reports on VHF are usually
(or at least too often) so wrong as to be laughable, if not dangerous.

TV weather reports used to be my excuse for having a TV. And there's
nothing like a good in-depth report from a high quality weatherperson,
as we tend to have in New England. However, for fast moving
situations, I've come to rely on cell phone and now BlackBerry
browsers, which can display the up to date nexrad picture.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Sailboat
Funny, I was thinking about this tonight .. why? I have no idea.

Do those small black and white tv's work? How much power? How do you power
one? Battery?

While I have your attention :: how much power does a laptop take up?

Also, how long will a laptop run before it is out of juice?

The small b/w ones usually have no remote and really awful sound. Had two of them and had to convert some old computer speakers to understand what was going on. They have advantages too: relatively good reception in bad areas (= almost any decent anchorage) and not power hungry. Lately I bought an el cheapo 12' LCD with remote. Its a good choice since the size is good for comfortable viewing anywhere in a small to medium craft and when not in operation it takes very little space. It is not power hungry either but it is not as sensitive as the b/w's and when reception is not optimal it just rejects the channel instead of letting you view (even in low quality). Sometimes (for news and weather broadcast p.ex) reception quality isnt that important and in this case old b/w's are unbeatable.

Prices here (Athens, Greece) are around $130 for 7'b/w and $250 for 12' LCD. I think that b/w ones are gradually dissapearing from the market.

Concerning laptops etc your best choise is to have a small inverter on board (300W or so). They consume almost nothing when idle and have very good efficiency which mainly means you waste little power into heat. Then you use it for all sorts of things: Laptop, cellular, drills, you name it. My prefered use is to use it overnight to power a heated blanket (60W) which keeps the berth warm and (mainly) dry. I also have a 1500W inverter but this is a remnant from the days I had no generator. I almost use this no more since for such power it is better to use the gen set.

Hope this helps.

Christos.

Last edited by cfrantzol : November 24th 06 at 05:21 PM

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 08:26:13 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
said:

There is at least one really good reason for having a TV aboard, at least
for coastal and/or Great Lakes sailing: Weather Reports.

Well, there is this technology called AM-FM radio.

I heard a rumor about that, but I haven't found one that has moving
pictures.

Gogarty wrote:

In article ,
says...

Gogarty wrote:

[...]

To each his own. I have no problem with earphones. Don't much like
captioned programs.

Most programs now are captioned and most newer TVs can get the
captions

I know there are people who don't like the captions. They do block
out a small portion of the screen. IMHO that is a small price to pay
and on my boat, you would have to put up with them.

My daughter and SIL don't like them. But loud noises really, really
bother me and my daughter and SIL are really noisy. I couldn't hear
the TV at all at their house over the normal conversation. Bob and I
have a tendency at their house to leave the room and go back to the
guest room and shut the door against the noise. This annoys Bob
because he likes to watch the TV and he doesn't like the noise. I
just get on the computer and do email.

And in a bar or restaurant where the ambient noise level is too high
(what with a lot of people talking loudly, several TVs on, plus Musiak
or some kind of music) that no one can hear anything, if I'm to know
what is going on on the TVs (especially the talking head type
programs), the captions have to be on or there's no point in having
the TV on adding to the noise..

Dave wrote:

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 08:26:13 -0600, "KLC Lewis" said:

There is at least one really good reason for having a TV aboard, at least
for coastal and/or Great Lakes sailing: Weather Reports.

Well, there is this technology called AM-FM radio.

Come to that there is the NOAA radio reports. But the radio mostly
just repeats someone else's written forecast, and the TV stations
sometimes have real meteorologists thinking about the weather.

I basically use 3 or 4 sources for weather before I decide if it is Go
or No-Go. I like to look at the weather channel on TV, local TV
stations, NOAA weather on the radio, and if we are going off shore I
will also use the SSB and talk to Herb.

Except for Herb, I always look at those forecasts with a little
skeptism - I think about why they are saying what they say, and I look
at the weather map and the radar images that they show and make up my
own mind.

Volvo spare part on board Cruising 17 August 4th 06 09:01 PM
Isn't there a political message board for all this? Rob Welling General 11 November 2nd 04 05:35 PM
And the Bush lies just keep on coming basskisser General 81 March 12th 04 12:27 PM
OT Bush: Fair and Balanced jps General 38 March 11th 04 12:39 PM