Default wondering .. do you have a TV on board? How ....

Funny, I was thinking about this tonight .. why? I have no idea.

Do those small black and white tv's work? How much power? How do you power
one? Battery?

While I have your attention :: how much power does a laptop take up?

Also, how long will a laptop run before it is out of juice?

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
Funny, I was thinking about this tonight .. why? I have no idea.

Do those small black and white tv's work? How much power? How do you
power one? Battery?

While I have your attention :: how much power does a laptop take up?

Also, how long will a laptop run before it is out of juice?

I was thinking of installing a 42" plasma screen on my forward saloon
bulkhead so I can play "Virtual Skipper" on it.

Aboard Heart of Gold we use a little Sony portable DVD player. It also
folds up flat and can be mounted on a bulkhead. Costs about 180 bucks.

See it he
http://hometown.aol.com/bobsprit/images/navnavyweb.jpg

It runs on DC, AC or 6 hours on a charge. We barely used it last
season, so plans for a more elaborate pair of screens are on hold.
Buy one from a Circuit City type store and by the 2 or 3 year warranty.
If it falls in the bilge you're covered!

Robert
35s5
NY

NE Sailboat wrote:
Funny, I was thinking about this tonight .. why? I have no idea.

Do those small black and white tv's work? How much power? How do
you power one? Battery?

While I have your attention :: how much power does a laptop take up?

Also, how long will a laptop run before it is out of juice?

I love that last question!

On the Queen Mary 2, quite a long time, but on your boat? Not sure.

Do they still make black and white TVs?

Dennis.

We have a 20" Sharp Aquos flat screen attached to a VCR and DVD player. I'd
like more audio (hearing loss), but it's a great set up.

Do those small black and white tv's work? How much power? How do you
power
one? Battery?

20" Sharp Aquos, 12vDC. DVD player with it's audio looped into the Clarion
head unit. Video out goes to the TV and the Raymarine E-80 chartplotter.
Video on the chartplotter is basically pointless on our particular setup but
I connected it "because I could". The audio looped to the radio really
improves watching movies. MUCH better sound than the speakers on the TV
itself.

While I have your attention :: how much power does a laptop take up?

It varies quite a bit between different laptops. There are also different
ways to power them. You can either use an inverter and the normal power
brick, or get one designed to run off 12vDC. The latter generally consume
less wattage, and are also usually quite a bit smaller/lighter than the
regular AC power brick.

Also, how long will a laptop run before it is out of juice?

My ancient 1ghz Toshiba runs about 2 hours, but the wife's tiny little Sony
gets 8 hours.

"Bill Kearney" wrote:

Do those small black and white tv's work? How much power? How do you

power
one? Battery?

20" Sharp Aquos, 12vDC. DVD player with it's audio looped into the Clarion
head unit. Video out goes to the TV and the Raymarine E-80 chartplotter.
Video on the chartplotter is basically pointless on our particular setup but
I connected it "because I could". The audio looped to the radio really
improves watching movies. MUCH better sound than the speakers on the TV
itself.

We have two TVs on board - one for the main saloon and one for the aft
cabin (where we sleep).

The one in the aft cabin is a dual voltage color TV/VCR combo. It is
hooked to the follow-me antenna for the Direct TV satellite dish. It
is a little bigger than the dual voltage one we got for our son when
he was driving flatbed trucks all over the US.

We also have a regular old shore power TV in the main saloon, but we
don't use that one unless we are at a marina. It is also hooked to
the satellite.

While I have your attention :: how much power does a laptop take up?

It varies quite a bit between different laptops. There are also different
ways to power them. You can either use an inverter and the normal power
brick, or get one designed to run off 12vDC. The latter generally consume
less wattage, and are also usually quite a bit smaller/lighter than the
regular AC power brick.

You can also get 12v power bricks for some of them designed to run off
the cigarette lighter outlet in the car. Even with that, they still
put out a lot of interference if you are going to run the SSB.

Also, how long will a laptop run before it is out of juice?

My ancient 1ghz Toshiba runs about 2 hours, but the wife's tiny little Sony
gets 8 hours.

It depends not only on the power draw and the size of the batteries
relative to that, but also on the state of the batteries. My mom's
old laptop has no rechargeablity left and will not run on the
batteries at all. My old laptop will last about a half an hour or 45
minutes where it used to be able to go almost 2 hours. This one with
newer batteries will last 2 hours or more.

Ryk Ryk is offline

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 02:09:03 GMT, in message
"NE Sailboat" wrote:

Funny, I was thinking about this tonight .. why? I have no idea.

Do those small black and white tv's work? How much power? How do you power
one? Battery?

While I have your attention :: how much power does a laptop take up?

Also, how long will a laptop run before it is out of juice?

I have an older IBM Thinkpad with DVD onboard. It will run almost the
full length of a movie without, but not quite. Plugged into the
battery it eats about 5 amps of 12 volt DC while running either on the
inverter or with the DC/DC power adapter.

The sound from the laptop is not adequate, but I have fixed that by
upgrading the stereo to a unit that has an aux input on the front
panel suitable for iPods or computers.

Ryk

Gogarty wrote:

In article ,
says...

We have a 20" Sharp Aquos flat screen attached to a VCR and DVD player. I'd
like more audio (hearing loss), but it's a great set up.

I am pretty deaf too (or is that "hearing impaired"?). May I suigest to you a
set of infrared wireless earphones? A little transmitter goes on top of the TV
and you wear the earphones, which have volume control. Anywhere you can see
the TV you can hear it too. They have saved my sanity and our marriage. Wife
can play the TV at whatever level she likes or even turn the speakers off. I
can listen to it at any level I want without disturbing anyone else. We have
two sets, one for the boat and one for home. In winter the boat set becomes
the bedroom set. The transmitter has a wall wart while the earphones run on
two AA batteries. I think they cost around $30 mail order. Wife buys them.

I hate earphones (also hearing impaired but not as much as my
husband). We just put the captions on the TV. Then we can have the
sound off and still know what is going on.

There is also a radio frequency set that broadcasts on the 9 MZ band (I
think). With the4se you don't have to be line of sight to the TV but can hear
it anywhere within range. But we found them very subject to interference and
sent them back.

Still on deafness, gave up on zillion dollar hearing aids long ago. Have a
drawer full of them. I now use a $10 gadget that fits in my shirt pocket and
connects to earphones. Everybody walks around with earphones these days so you
don't look funny. The improvement in sociability is dramatic. Wife buys these
too, by the half dozen so there is always one available. My only complaint is
no tone control.

Volvo spare part on board Cruising 17 August 4th 06 09:01 PM
Isn't there a political message board for all this? Rob Welling General 11 November 2nd 04 05:35 PM
And the Bush lies just keep on coming basskisser General 81 March 12th 04 12:27 PM
OT Bush: Fair and Balanced jps General 38 March 11th 04 12:39 PM