Default Baltic 43...a mistake????

So....here's the dilemma. My wife and I currently sail a Beneteau First
35s5 on the Long Island Sound. We love the boat, though it's our first
season with her. She's great in all kinds of air and quite comfortable
for our daysails and overnighters with our two year old son.
Down the road we planned to buy a more serious cruiser and of course I
recently got a heads up that a Baltic 43 was going to be set for
auction in Florida. The boat, already surveyed two months ago, is in
excellent shape. She's a 1987 and loaded with gear, sails and upgrades
added last year to the tune of 75K. Only..it was never paid for and now
the boat belongs, in part, to the yard run by a friend of mine. Long
story short: I can own the Baltic 43 for 145K, plus another 4K to ship
it here. That's a huge chunk off of what they typically sell for.
The problem....obviously a unique deal and obviously too much boat for
us at present. Do we jump on it for the deal. We WOULD sail her, she
just wouldn't get the kind of use a boat like that should. That's not
to say you can't daysail what you want, but a Baltic 43 is a true
bluewater yacht.
Some of our friends say "you don't buy the right boat at the wrong time
and good deals be damned." Others say, JUMP! I think the latter group
just wants to sail her!

I'd be interested in what YOU would do if presented with this
opportunity. Oh, and we are not really permitted to flip the boat. The
offer is for us to BUY and keep her for a while. My friend could easily
sell her for more without my help!

Thanks

Robert & Suzanne
35s5 Heart of Gold
NY

In . com "Capt. Rob" writes:

[...]

Baltic is not just any boat. Tha Baltic Yard is founded by some workers,
who were not satisfied with the quality and the concept of Swan. If you
can get a Baltic 43 with this sort of deal, you know that the work done
to the boat is done properly and the boat is in proper shape, I would
say, go for it. If you think you will keep on sailing, you will look for
a bigger boat that a "35" anyway, so why not take it now, when it is
awailable.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

A quick search in Yachtworld shows prices in the $225K range so you are
getting a good discount. I wouldn't worry too much about the boat being
bigger than necessary or more difficult to sail.
As you say, friends will be happy to help and with the extra room you could
easily take another couple along for longer cruises.
ups.com...

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 09:55:56 -0800, Capt. Rob wrote:

[...]

Well as someone noted it's a huge discount. So if you like the boat and
you really want it, then go for it if you can afford it, but get a good
survey done first.

If you have so many friends who want to sail her, then you shouldn't have
trouble finding crew for daysailing, if the boat is too big to handle by
yourselves.

If it does prove too much boat, you can still sell it at a profit, and say
you really tried to handle it (which would be true).

Matt O.

On 31 Oct 2006 09:55:56 -0800, "Capt. Rob" wrote:

Some of our friends say "you don't buy the right boat at the wrong time
and good deals be damned." Others say, JUMP! I think the latter group
just wants to sail her!

I'd be interested in what YOU would do if presented with this
opportunity. Oh, and we are not really permitted to flip the boat. The
offer is for us to BUY and keep her for a while. My friend could easily
sell her for more without my help!

If you care about the money, you can try to quantify things. Figure
out how long till you'll be "ready" for a boat like that. Figure out
how much more it will cost you to own the Baltic than your old boat
for that length of time. Include slip fees, maintenance,
depreciation, etc, as well as a round number to refit the Baltic to
the same condition it is in now at the end of that time. Figure out
how much that money could reasonably earn if invested over that period
of time. Compare that number to the estimated cost of buying the same
boat at the end of the period. That gives an estimate of what it
really will cost you to make your move now.

Then go ahead and do whatever you want to do and your wife will let
you do! :-)
Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at world wide wiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/

A 43 is a lot of boat for two people with young children whereas 35 is
just about right.

I think I'd pass.

======================

[...]

krj krj is offline

Charlie Morgan wrote:
[...]

This boat would be a HUGE mistake for you Rob. It draws over 8 feet! That is a
major drawback in your home waters. M-A-J-O-R. Unless you plan to cut your ties
to land, and head out for the Med almost immediately, with no plans to return,
this is about as wrong as you could go. It won't work well for the Carribean,
either. ICW? Bwhahahahahaha!

Really... forget it. It would kill sailing for you.

CWM

Charlie,
Just where in the Caribbean couldn't you take an 8 foot draft boot other
than some areas around Belize? The shore of most islands in the leewards
and windwards have a steep dropoff.
krj
krj krj is offline

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:24:51 -0500, krj wrote:

Charlie Morgan wrote:

[...]

That must be why boats with less than 5 foot draft are so popular...

CWM

Boats with 5' draft are popular in the Florida Keys and the Bahamas but
that's not in the Caribbean. Most boats I've sailed in the Caribbean
had 5.5-6' draft
krj

"krj" wrote in message
. ..

Charlie Morgan wrote:

[...]

Depends on where in the Carib... inside the reef in Belize, shallower is
betterer.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Centerboard Mistake SUZY ASA 4 May 21st 06 07:32 AM
OT--He was wrong then, and he's about to repeat the mistake NOYB General 21 November 22nd 05 09:55 PM
mistake Doug Kanter General 4 August 2nd 05 05:49 AM
( OT ) White House, 4/01: Focus on Bin Laden "A Mistake" Jim General 0 March 27th 04 12:55 AM