Default Baltic 43...a mistake????

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 16:17:48 -0500, Charlie Morgan wrote:

This boat would be a HUGE mistake for you Rob. It draws over 8 feet! That is a
major drawback in your home waters. M-A-J-O-R.

Not that big a problem in Long Island Sound or New England, lots of
deep water ports available. South Florida, Chesapeake Bay, ICW or
Bahamas however, fuhgedabodtit.

From what I gather you have a two-year-old son and you have your own
sailboat. I assumed that you are presently raising a family and working full
time. Would that give you enough time to use a 43-foot bluewater yacht
with an 8-foot draft. To only use such a bluewater yacht on week ends and
may be two weeks a year could be a waste of time and money. At this time the
market appears to be a little slow. The other thing is how fast can you sell
you present sailboat and how much can you end up getting for it. To buy a
sailboat (not to mention the 8 foot draft and hidden wear and tear) at a low
cost with the intent of selling it with a profit is, at this time, a little
far stretched.

"krj" wrote in message
. ..
Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:24:51 -0500, krj wrote:

Charlie Morgan wrote:

On 31 Oct 2006 09:55:56 -0800, "Capt. Rob" wrote:

So....here's the dilemma. My wife and I currently sail a Beneteau First
35s5 on the Long Island Sound. We love the boat, though it's our first
season with her. She's great in all kinds of air and quite comfortable
for our daysails and overnighters with our two year old son.
Down the road we planned to buy a more serious cruiser and of course I
recently got a heads up that a Baltic 43 was going to be set for
auction in Florida. The boat, already surveyed two months ago, is in
excellent shape. She's a 1987 and loaded with gear, sails and upgrades
added last year to the tune of 75K. Only..it was never paid for and now
the boat belongs, in part, to the yard run by a friend of mine. Long
story short: I can own the Baltic 43 for 145K, plus another 4K to ship
it here. That's a huge chunk off of what they typically sell for.
The problem....obviously a unique deal and obviously too much boat for
us at present. Do we jump on it for the deal. We WOULD sail her, she
just wouldn't get the kind of use a boat like that should. That's not
to say you can't daysail what you want, but a Baltic 43 is a true
bluewater yacht.
Some of our friends say "you don't buy the right boat at the wrong time
and good deals be damned." Others say, JUMP! I think the latter group
just wants to sail her!

I'd be interested in what YOU would do if presented with this
opportunity. Oh, and we are not really permitted to flip the boat. The
offer is for us to BUY and keep her for a while. My friend could easily
sell her for more without my help!

Thanks

Robert & Suzanne
35s5 Heart of Gold
NY

This boat would be a HUGE mistake for you Rob. It draws over 8 feet!
That is a
major drawback in your home waters. M-A-J-O-R. Unless you plan to cut
your ties
to land, and head out for the Med almost immediately, with no plans to
return,
this is about as wrong as you could go. It won't work well for the
Carribean,
either. ICW? Bwhahahahahaha!

Really... forget it. It would kill sailing for you.
CWM

Charlie,
Just where in the Caribbean couldn't you take an 8 foot draft boot other
than some areas around Belize? The shore of most islands in the leewards
and windwards have a steep dropoff.
krj

That must be why boats with less than 5 foot draft are so popular...

CWM

Boats with 5' draft are popular in the Florida Keys and the Bahamas but
that's not in the Caribbean. Most boats I've sailed in the Caribbean had
5.5-6' draft
krj

Thanks for the great replies. Draft IS AN ISSUE and somehow I was under
the impression that the B43 was 7.1 and not 8 feet. We chose our
current boat over a C&C 34XL in part because the 35s5 had pretty good
performance and a wing drawing slightly less than 5 feet.
We discussed it over dinner and agreed that a good deal isn't always a
good idea. Of course some of my friends will be ****ed off, but we
already have a sweet little 35 footer and went through considerable
trouble to locate such a clean example. We decided not to complicate
things. Still, if our son was 4 instead of 2 and we weren't buying a
house next summer....I'd probably have a harder time being so practical
about it.

This is our current boat...which we'll be keeping for a while!
http://hometown.aol.com/bobsprit/index.html

and a video clip of her sailing (with her old mylar sails-We have
Kevlar now)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=d0nSgsgOApg

Thanks again,

Robert & Suzanne
35s5 "Heart of Gold"
NY

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message

. Unless you plan to cut your ties
to land, and head out for the Med almost immediately,

That's the funniest thing you ever posted, BB.

SV

Thanks for the orders, queries and mention of me, folks.
To the fellow who was interested in the Furlex, I accidentally deleted
your e-mail, but please contact me at . The short
answer to the question is about 15% less, but again it depends on what
else you order.

Robert
35s5
NY

Big problem in LIS if you want to actually go anywhere. MANY (if not
MOST) of
the nicest places to visit are 8 feet at MLW. Anything much over 5-6
foot
draft, and you are fairly severely limited.

This was a primary reason for us walking away from the C&C 34XL, though
I did not walk away easily.
I wish I could broker that Baltic here in NY. Gorgeous boat. Ah
well...I already flew to Florida enough to buy the 35s5....and boy are
my arms tired.

Robert
35s5
NY

So....here's the dilemma.

=====================

Your dilemma is that you have way too much money. You own a boat, you use
it on weekends, and an occasional overnight.

And now you want a bigger boat! Yet, you have only owned the "Bene-thing"
for one season!

Go AWAY.... PLEASE.

================================================== ===================================
"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
So....here's the dilemma.

=====================

Your dilemma is that you have way too much money. You own a boat, you use
it on weekends, and an occasional overnight.

And now you want a bigger boat! Yet, you have only owned the "Bene-thing"
for one season!

Go AWAY.... PLEASE.

What do you care how much money he has? Does it make you any poorer? Would
breaking his leg make you walk better? Sheesh.

Centerboard Mistake SUZY ASA 4 May 21st 06 07:32 AM
OT--He was wrong then, and he's about to repeat the mistake NOYB General 21 November 22nd 05 09:55 PM
mistake Doug Kanter General 4 August 2nd 05 05:49 AM
( OT ) White House, 4/01: Focus on Bin Laden "A Mistake" Jim General 0 March 27th 04 12:55 AM