Default Baltic 43...a mistake????

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 06:58:25 -0500, Charlie Morgan wrote:

Big problem in LIS if you want to actually go anywhere. MANY (if not MOST) of
the nicest places to visit are 8 feet at MLW. Anything much over 5-6 foot
draft, and you are fairly severely limited.

There are a *lot* of people on Long Island Sound with deep draft 40
and 50 foot sailboats and you don't see them running aground that
often.

Here in south Florida I carry spare props on my 24 ft I/O that draws 3
feet. In the Bahamas we wait for a rising tide to enter most harbors
with a trawler that draws close to 5 1/2 ft.

What do you care how much money he has? Does it make you any poorer?
Would
breaking his leg make you walk better? Sheesh.

Don't sweat it, Mike. These are trolls from ASA where I was quite the
offender myself. All done with that, but they seem to need me, so
they've followed me. I'll just ignore them as should everyone.
My last few days of sailing this season are here.....sad times. On the
other hand I'm getting the teak finally done in the cockpit and a host
of other small upgrades such as a new asym. chute and lazy jacks.

Cheers,

Robert
35s5
NY

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 10:15:21 -0500, Charlie Morgan wrote:

40 and 50 foot deep draft boats in LIS are a VERY tiny number, and you
don't see them enjoying wonderful places like Coecles Harbor, Zieglers
Cove, Southport, Milford, Cedar Island, Sterling Harbor, or hundreds
of other great spots, either. They simply can't go, and many of the
places they can go at all, they have to anchor very far out. Heck,
most of Sag Harbor is less than 8 feet deep.

I spent many years racing 40 and 50 ft boats on LIS and we always had
plenty of company. There are close to 100 in Stamford alone, and a
bunch more in Greenwich, Norwalk, Rye, Huntington and Manhasset.

Stirling, Coecles and Sag Harbor are in Gardiners Bay last time I
looked, not Long Island Sound.

My chart for Zieglers Cove shows 8 ft at MLW. Bill Ziegler docked his
fairly large racing boat, Gem, there for many years. (Chart # 12368_1)

Southport has a controling depth of 9 ft at MLW. (Chart # 12369_1)

Milford inner harbor is 5 ft but the outer harbor is 9ft. (Chart #
12354_1)

Cedar Island (Clinton) has 7 1/2 to 8 at MLW. (Chart 12374_1)

And of course this ignores the other 20 or 30 fine harbors on Long
Island Sound, most of which have depths of 12 ft or more.

I said it would be SEVERELY LIMITED, and it is.

Wayne, this is correct. Anything over 6 feet certainly limits one on
the LIS....I've never met anyone who said otherwise. Yes, there are
deeper drafts on the LIS with no problem....like the 34XL I mentioned,
but he only races.

Robert
35s5
NY

Capt. Rob wrote:

So....here's the dilemma.

Sounds much too good to be true. While you're at it, why not buy a new
Benz for $5k.

-paul

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 17:30:28 -0500, Charlie Morgan wrote:

So far, you have been wrong about every harbor you have cited. I'll take that as
an indicator of the veracity of this statement.

I have not said that there are places where you could take a boat that draws 8
feet. I said it would be SEVERELY LIMITED, and it is.

Well Charlie, all of my charts are freshly downloaded from NOAA within
the last year. I'd be glad to send you some screen prints if you'd
like. I spent all of last summer cruisng LIS and points east with the
very same charts. No problems with depth - anywhere.

On 1 Nov 2006 15:10:26 -0800, "Capt. Rob" wrote:

Anything over 6 feet certainly limits one on
the LIS..

I would agree that it limits you from doing serious gunk holing, but
in terms of being able to get in and out of major harbors and finding
a place to anchor or dock - there really isn't a big issue.

Sounds much too good to be true. While you're at it, why not buy a new
Benz for $5k.

It wasn't. But it was also an inside favor. I've had good luck with
such deals in the past. A few years ago I snared a loaded C&C 32 for
15K. Doubled our money on that after sailing it for two years. We
passed on the C&C 34XL, but that boat could have been ours for 35K
below market value. We also did really well on the Beneteau 35s5 we
have, which will make money when we sell. Quite recently a fellow at my
yard bought a nearly mint Catalina 34 for 20K at a police auction. She
was a mid 90's model that had sat hidden away. All he had to do was
ship her from Arizona!
The deals are out there. They often come when you're way too busy, too
poor or too old to do anything about them.

Robert
35s5
NY

Well Charlie, all of my charts are freshly downloaded from NOAA within
the last year.

Gentlemen, let's agree that there is some different perspective on what
"severe draft limitations" really are. It really depends on what you're
doing with the boat. For some, an 8 foot draft is workable on the LIS.
Others, obviously a majority, agree that less than 6' is better. Some
might say you need less than 4! It's really dependent on how the boat
will be used.
Okay...?

Robert
35s5
NY

Capt. Rob wrote:

Don't sweat it, Mike. These are trolls from ASA where I was quite the
offender myself.

Yes, you are the supreme offender. Why aren't you at ASA anymore? Got
booted because of conflicts with ASA and some boat yards? Or was it
because of your attacks on others sexual orientation? Or your
potentially libellous postings? Which one? Or all of them?

Warning to all: this guy is full of it up to his ears. He will be
trolling you all with incredible stories and deals. He'll run a
commercial business on this newsgroup.

Don't believe me? Stroll over to alt.sailing.asa and search
" and see what just floated in to your newsgroup. He
has almost 30,000 posts to ASA most of them taunting others about their
boats, families and livelihoods.

Make this guy feel welcome here and you'll regret it. Seriously.

Don't say you weren't warned!

Centerboard Mistake SUZY ASA 4 May 21st 06 07:32 AM
OT--He was wrong then, and he's about to repeat the mistake NOYB General 21 November 22nd 05 09:55 PM
mistake Doug Kanter General 4 August 2nd 05 05:49 AM
( OT ) White House, 4/01: Focus on Bin Laden "A Mistake" Jim General 0 March 27th 04 12:55 AM