Baybyter

Default For Peggie

Do NOT put bleach down the toilet...it's highly destructive to the
rubber parts in the toilet and to hoses.
--
Peggie
----------

Why is bleach destructive to the rubber part of the toilet system and not to
the water tank hoses?
Peggie Hall

Baybyter wrote:
Do NOT put bleach down the toilet...it's highly destructive to the
rubber parts in the toilet and to hoses.

Why is bleach destructive to the rubber part of the toilet system and
not to the water tank hoses?

Chlorine breaks down hose resistance to odor permeation, which is not a
factor in fresh water. However, it is also destructive to the rubber
parts in fresh water pumps, which is what makes it a bad idea to add a
little bleach to each fill. The cumulative effect of small doses is far
more destructive over time to rubber than a single annual megadose
"shock treatment. Plus, it's a waste of bleach...'cuz any purifying
properties evaporate within 24 hours, leaving behind only the corrosive
properties.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Jere Lull

IamAeolus wrote:

Peggie:

1. The boat does have a shower that is supposed to drain to the bilge. I
haven't used or checked it since I bought the boat, but will do so upon your
suggestion.

2. Something trapped in the raw water intake to the head is also a
possibility (although it seems to draw water in without difficulty). I will
shut the seacock and run Raritan C.P. thru it and see what happens.

3. Finally, thanks for the idea of how to check for hose permeation with a hot
rag. I fear the hoses are the culprits here, but keep hoping for a lesser
included offense...

4. Thank you very much for all the time and ideas. Your book is on my "to
buy" list.

I'm glad Peggie mentioned her book. I had pre-loaded the address just in
case. She's been so helpful, like this, for so many years, I have no
problem with her referring to it as infrequently as she does. In my
mind, her product is on the level of quality of the Spade anchor,
Potabote, Cetol and of course our beautifully odd-looking Xan.

Also, I didn't notice you mentioning the tank, but if it's a flexible
bladder, that's a probable source, as are any tanks with fittings
anywhere but the top.

--
Jere Lull

Peggie Hall

Richard Malcolm wrote:
Peggie
could you tell me more about pump for refridge. my leaks some time,
but never smells. but it does get the floor wet.

I need a bit more information before I can understand your question. Do
you have refrigeration, or only an ice box? What's leaking?

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Peggie Hall

Getting rid of the source of the odor gets rid of the odor. Air
fresheners only mask odors.

Always amuses me to see those air freshener, etc., ads on TV. I always
want to shout at the TV: "Clean the f...g place and save your money!"

That also applies to the ozone generators sold for use on boats. Ozone
in any concentration strong enough to destroy the sources of odors is
not only a health hazard, it's also HIGHLY corrosive and destructive
rubber, neoprene and flexible PVC—in other words, every seal, valve and
hose on a boat.

According to the EPA, “Available scientific evidence shows that, at
concentrations that do not exceed public health standards, ozone is
generally ineffective in controlling indoor air pollution. The
concentration of ozone would have to greatly exceed health standards to
be effective in removing most indoor air contaminants. In the process of
reacting with chemicals indoors, ozone can produce other chemicals that
can be irritating and corrosive.”

As for how well the portable ozone generators work when it comes to
getting rid of odor on their boats...yes, people who’ve bought them rave
do about how well they work. And, yes, the manufacturers do assure you
that the ozone concentration is well below that which can present any
health hazard. But if that's true, they can't deliver enough ozone to
destroy the sources of any odors. If they did deliver enough ozone to
destroy the sources of odors, it should only be necessary to run one
occasionally. But among all the people you know who’ve bought ozone
generators, have you ever met anyone who has one who's ever been able to
turn if off without having odors return? That should be enough to tell
you that ozone generators are only very expensive air fresheners,
because they don't deliver enough ozone to be anything else.

So, as Gogarty says, save your money and get rid of the SOURCES of your
odors. Eliminating the source is the only thing that really works.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Richard Malcolm

Peggie Hall wrote in message ...
Richard Malcolm wrote:
Peggie
could you tell me more about pump for refridge. my leaks some time,
but never smells. but it does get the floor wet.

I need a bit more information before I can understand your question. Do
you have refrigeration, or only an ice box? What's leaking?

what I have is a little refridge that has a door that does not always stay

100% closed. and water leaks out the front and goes on the floor. the
water is melted (defrosted) ice which happens as these fridges are on
while the engine is running or shore power, but not on all the time.
forming ice and frost then melting.
Peggie Hall

Richard Malcolm wrote:
what I have is a little refridge that has a door that does not always stay
100% closed. and water leaks out the front and goes on the floor. the
water is melted (defrosted) ice which happens as these fridges are on
while the engine is running or shore power, but not on all the time.
forming ice and frost then melting.

The first solution to your particular problem is pretty obvious: put a
latch on the door that will keep it closed...and if necessary, replace
the rubber gasket around the door.

And if you have shore power, leave the fridge running all the time...you
don't turn off the fridge at home when you leave, why would you turn off
the fridge on the boat? For some reason, only sailors worry about
leaving shore power connected all the time...almost all powerboats do,
with no problems. I always did--mostly to power the fridge and the
icemaker, but also to keep the batteries charged to power the bilge
pumps if they were needed.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Ian Wright

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:18:33 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

Getting rid of the source of the odor gets rid of the odor. Air
fresheners only mask odors.

There is another way. Own a boat that is supposed to
smell,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Get a wooden boat, oil, varnish or paint it.
Use kerosine to heat, light and cook. A diesel engine for power. Start
smoking, A pipe is good though cigars or hand rolling 'baccy will do.
Eat lots of crispy fried bacon and/or chilli.
Follow these few simple rules and the delicate whiff of head hose will
fade into the background,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I've just spent a couple of months sailing in Holland. Met lots of
nice people including one young lady visitor who remarked "Wonderful!
A real wooden boat, and it smells like a boat should, just like my
father's old Botter." At least I think she said
Botter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ian Wright, Patience, Vertue 203
Hmseconomy

She's been so helpful, like this, for so many years, I have no
problem with her referring to it as infrequently as she does.

Also, I didn't notice you mentioning the tank, but if it's a flexible
bladder, that's a probable source, as are any tanks with fittings
anywhere but the top.

--
Jere Lull
Xan-a-Deux ('73 Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD) BRBR

Peggie's help is certainly appreciated. To me, that is just the kind of thing
this newsgroup should be about, rather than some of the ad hominem stuff we see
elsewhere.

You mentioned the tank on my boat. It is not a bladder, but appears to be
aluminum. I had a bladder tank on a previous boat and agree with you that they
are a major cause of many odor problems. I'm hopeful that Peggie's suggestions
to use Raritan CP will do the trick for me.