Peggie Hall

Default For Peggie

Hmseconomy wrote:
She's been so helpful, like this, for so many years, I have no
problem with her referring to it as infrequently as she does.

Also, I didn't notice you mentioning the tank, but if it's a flexible
bladder, that's a probable source, as are any tanks with fittings
anywhere but the top.

Fittings on rigid tanks aren't likely to be the source of an odor
problem no matter where they are...but fittings on bladders are often
owner installed and not always as tight as they need to be. Bladders are
also highly prone to blowing out a fitting at the first sign of a
clogged vent. And even the best quality only has a lifespan of about 15
years. They're not recommended for waste holding.

Aluminum is an even worse choice than a bladder...stainless isn't much
better. Urine is SO corrosive that it makes salt seem benign in
comparison...it'll typically eat through a weld at a seam or fitting
within 2-5 years and turn the sheet metal into a collander within 10.

Thick-walled polyethylene--preferably rotomolded, not welded--is the
only material recommended for waste holding.

Odors are always strongest at their source...so unless the compartment
that houses the tank stinks, the tank is unlikely to be the source of
any odor INSIDE the boat--although a permeated pumpout hose and/or tank
vent line can be a culprit, 'cuz permeated hoses will stink up any area
they pass through...but odor that's mainly inside the head has to
originate in the head--the toilet intake, a sump, or trapped water in a
bilge directly below the head sole. Odor that's all pervasive
throughout the boat is most likely to be due to permeated hoses or a
bilge in need of a REAL cleaning instead of just more bilge cleaner
dumped into the primordial soup.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

John Howell

Oh Ian it does sound as if PAtience has the familiar aroma of an old
clipper...maybe just the aroma of Indias best is missing...I feel you
might not have been at home on Solitaire and been banished to the aft
deck to act as BAr B que chef No 1. Certainly wouldn t have been
allowed in the saloon with the well used pipe !!!!!!!

SeeYA

John

Ian Wright wrote:

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:18:33 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

Getting rid of the source of the odor gets rid of the odor. Air
fresheners only mask odors.

There is another way. Own a boat that is supposed to
smell,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Get a wooden boat, oil, varnish or paint it.
Use kerosine to heat, light and cook. A diesel engine for power. Start
smoking, A pipe is good though cigars or hand rolling 'baccy will do.
Eat lots of crispy fried bacon and/or chilli.
Follow these few simple rules and the delicate whiff of head hose will
fade into the background,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I've just spent a couple of months sailing in Holland. Met lots of
nice people including one young lady visitor who remarked "Wonderful!
A real wooden boat, and it smells like a boat should, just like my
father's old Botter." At least I think she said
Botter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ian Wright, Patience, Vertue 203

--

John Howell Chaka of Birdham MFAX-7
GM4ZQH

Skip Gundlach

I sent this to the spamtrap, which, of course, spat it out :{)) - and, I
discover that I haven't her current address in my book to send it
directly...

From: "Skip Gundlach"
To: "Peggie Hall"
Subject: For Peggie
Date: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 8:59 AM

Hi, Peggie,

I just ordered my copy - do I recall correctly that you've moved off the
lake?

L8R

Skip (and Lydia, newlyweds, still sailboatless)
--

"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a clear
night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize that you are

Peggie Hall

Skip Gundlach wrote:
I sent this to the spamtrap, which, of course, spat it out :{)) - and, I
discover that I haven't her current address in my book to send it
directly...
I just ordered my copy - do I recall correctly that you've moved off the
lake?

Yep...I moved to Little Rock in Oct of '01 to be a good idea to be a bit
closer than 500 miles to my (now) 88 yr old dad. No, I didn't move in
with him--the only person who'd have hated that more than me is him! I
bought a house exactly 4 miles from him. I'm also boatless for the
duration. The only places I'd have wanted to put Solitaire are more than
2 hours away...I wouldn't be able to use to her enough to keep all the
work I put into her from deteriorating. So, to borrow a line from
Tennessee Williams, I'm "dependent on the kindness of strangers" to
spend any time on the water.

Email address is btw...

Peggie